The Goo-Power Championship - Feedback

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: The Goo-Power Championship - Feedback

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Mr_Twister wrote: But what happens when players A, B and C are tied, and A won against B, B won against C and C won against A ?
You'll still need something else to decide then.
That's the challenge.

So an extra question; what is the best way to deciding things when the situation above arises?

I can set number of wins as a 2nd deciding factor, but do we then go with VP as the 3rd absolute deciding factor, or do we do it another way?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Obsilium

Post by Obsilium » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:53 pm

You could use a quality of points system. Here is an example of it in action:

Suppose we had a table as in the Golden Dragon Division and suppose for some reason all players with equal points were tied by previous tiebreak considerations:

suprass81, SpiteAndMalice

Obsilium, Mazy, Viking, Varanas

gary, Trigz

Incarnadine

VoodooFrog

Auzarius

Interpunct

First we settle the tie between Spite and suprass. They drew each other, so we need to see how they do against the next bracket. Spite got two wins and two draws against the group of Obsilium, Mazy, Viking and Varanas, while suprass got two wins and one draw (losing to me). Therefore, SpiteAndMalice is the champion under this system, while suprass goes to 2nd place.

Now we settle the tie between the large bracket. We can see that Obsilium and Viking did the best against SpiteAndMalice, while Obsilium also beat suprass, unlike Viking. So Obsilium is in third and Viking is in fourth. Mazy and Varanas both lost to the top two finishers and myself, so we look at their results against Viking. Viking drew Varanas and Mazy, so it comes down to their individual result, putting Mazy in fifth and Varanas in sixth.

Finally, to settle between gary and Trigz, we note that Trigz was the only player to beat SpiteAndMalice, so Trigz is in seventh, placing gary in eighth. The rest of the positions remained the same.

For the Red Dragon Division, the tiebreaks visualized by the system would be

worto03 (beat michigogo)
Dekronos (lost to michigogo, beat MattyRasker and Contraminus)
SlipperyJim(lost to michigogo, beat MattyRasker, but lost to ContraMinus)

stubar over MrTwister, as stubar beat michigogo.
////// T S U R T //////
/// I ///////////// E ///
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

gary
DEMIGOD

Post by gary » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:59 am

Easy.

You play a round of Blob, Sword, Bolt.

They players that are tied DM Sam there choice. You continue till there is a winner.

Blob smothers Bolt
Bolt melts Sword
Sword hacks Blob
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Can you just play two playoff games in the event of heads up records not separating playoff positions, it will take the same amount of time as playing one due to the nature of async.....
Another solution to get a better points spread is to play more games in a season, I know challonge doesn't allow for home and away leg games (everyone play twice, 22 games a season instead of 11), could you just start another league table for the 'away legs' then somehow combine the two tables in to an overall classification?.
Summary: No VP's, no ELO type stuff, just W(3)/L(0)/D(1), head to head records will always decide, there won't be endless playoffs because most times it will all work out even if it means people finish in joint shared positions in non-playoff positions.

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm

i say do every 3months not every month
and also since its classic it is better to play the same opponent twice instead of once

last season i got third but i defeated the nr 1 and the nr 2 and lost against the 2 last guys
for me the randomness plays too big a part, which can only be countered by playing more games

edit:

also i would not do 2 linear divisions:

i rather see 2 groups playing and then the top 2 of group A play against top 2 of group B (semi finals > final) .
(like nr 1 group A plays nr 2 group B and nr 2 group A plays nr 1 group B and then onto a final which should be 3 games imo)

final could be live and twitch casted etc

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 am

What you're describing there is a different format.
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:44 pm

ye im describing a tournament

with a playerbase this small and a game mode like classic i dont see the point of using a league format
but even then in a league contestants play each other at least twice and they usually last a year not a month

Obsilium

Post by Obsilium » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Look at the Golden Dragon Division over several seasons and you will see players like suprass and SpiteAndMalice staying at or close to the top. There is certainly variance in individual games. This season, I had a lucky win over Mazy, but I was unlucky to lose to Trigz. That doesn't change the fact that I think I was good value for my final score.

Also, as I learned from running Jack of All Trades, it is quite difficult to run an asynchronous tournament over a sustained period of time. So I don't think that a longer tournament with more games would work better, or even be more fun. A tournament won't tell you who the best Chaos Reborn player is. And I don't think it needs to either.
////// T S U R T //////
/// I ///////////// E ///
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Having player play each other twice within the season is something which I would like to do, but unfortunately Challonge doesn't accommodate it. I have posted feedback to them on this btw, it's the one of the most in demand features on the Challonge forum.

I'm looking at ways to work around that along with Auz, but I'm not going to promise something without knowing that we can do it. And if it were possible I'd potentially then drop the league sizes and aim for 8-10 player in each (which would give 14-18 games per season).

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:28 pm

The League format as it stands is something which I intend to preserve. The main change that I'd like to make to it if/when we gain sufficient players is to add in extra divisions using a pyramid structure:

Golden Dragon

Red Dragon / Green Dragon

Magenta Dragon / Cyan Dragon / White Dragon / Blue Dragon (maybe)