No
55%
Indifferent
18%

Total votes: 11

Auzarius

Quantum Chaos Cup, change to single elimination

Post by Auzarius » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:38 pm

After some deliberation and contemplation i am posing this poll. There has been little to no participation in the Phoenix bracket so far. Most victories have been byes and many rounds have been open for a month or more. While i hate changing the rules I feel there is little choice at this point. I would have loved for this to be completed as double elimination and hopefully I can run another in the future which will bring completed as such with more clearly written time constraints. I would love feedback from those who are participating to gather other viewpoints before a final action is taken. I am trying to do this with that support of the donators as well so that the prize remains the same. My apologies if this comes as a disappointment to anyone. I still plan to compete the tournament as originally intended. I just don't want to keep holding those participants who are active.
Sincerely,
Auzarius

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Quantum Chaos Cup, change to single elimination

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Can you actually physically change the competition on Challonge from Double to Single elimination once it's up and running?

I'd say leave it open, the activity of people taking part in the phoneix bracket will increase as the rounds progress.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

worto03

Post by worto03 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 pm

I guess we just need stricter cut-offs, shame to close it and punish players who are trying to participate?

Maybe if you have tried to get hold of your oppo several times with no response it gets reported then if the competition organiser can't get hold of them either they get a default win to the next round so the competition can move on

Auzarius

Post by Auzarius » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 pm

worto03 wrote:I guess we just need stricter cut-offs, shame to close it and punish players who are trying to participate?

Maybe if you have tried to get hold of your oppo several times with no response it gets reported then if the competition organiser can't get hold of them either they get a default win to the next round so the competition can move on
Unfortunately thats how most victories have been. Disqualify one and move the other on for every phoenix round. I can think of few that were actually completed. :/

D00m

Post by D00m » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 pm

You don't change the rules of the game once the game started.

worto03

Post by worto03 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:46 pm

good point d00m - I think Auz is just trying to make the most out of a bad situation!

I am with d00m though in principle, I'd continue with the defaults and hopefully it will pick up in the later rounds & just learn for next time, we're all working out what works best as we go along.

The reason I think this is that if you cancel it you may upset the players that are interested - exactly the players who are putting in effort and trying to play games and the players you want to keep interested for the next comp you run.

On the other hand if you keep going you are not really upsetting anyone, it may just feel like a lot of chasing ghosts for little reward.

D00m

Post by D00m » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm

worto03 wrote: The reason I think this is that if you cancel it you may upset the players that are interested - exactly the players who are putting in effort and trying to play games and the players you want to keep interested for the next comp you run.

On the other hand if you keep going you are not really upsetting anyone, it may just feel like a lot of chasing ghosts for little reward.
I think this is a very good rationale.

Also, a pity so many ppl didn't even show up for Quantum in the first place. Imo double elimination is a perfect format for Chaos tournaments.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm ok with dropping the phoenix bracket :) lets get it rolling. The next tournament could have a steam group or something to keep the no shows in check.

Varanas

Post by Varanas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:17 pm

I think there are a number of people in the phoenix bracket (myself included) who would love to play some more games, unfortunately it seems like we may need a few more byes before those people actually get to play each other.

I've voted to continue with double elimination, but I wouldn't mind too much if it didn't.

Auzarius

Post by Auzarius » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 pm

The only legitimate match completions in the Phoenix round thus far are:
Auzarius vs RafiRomero [ Round 1 ]
Mazy vs Vurtan [ Round 1 ]

Rhaeshorgot vs Auzarius [ Round 2 ]
toruosit vs Interpunct [ Round 2 ]

MattyRasker vs Trigz [ Round 3 ]

Out of 24 total matches in those rounds. 5/24 were completed by actual matches.

I just went through and disqualified some difficult match ups that have been pending for quite a while.