4 - The Tournament of the Gods

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:zand the continue in a rolling format. (So always showing the previous 12 month's worth of results). Again, we have nothing that does this.

If people wanted to play Classic Chaos they would have done so for the year before Law Mode was introduced and said non-RNG mode wouldn't have been needed. Forcing people to play it will not have them seeing the light, it will have them not playing unless there is an actual reward at the end of it all.

Do we have any idea of how many Demigods & Gods are willing to participate? There is no point recruiting players without those numbers imho.

Farious
    Farious

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 pm

• Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:zand the continue in a rolling format. (So always showing the previous 12 month's worth of results). Again, we have nothing that does this.

If people wanted to play Classic Chaos they would have done so for the year before Law Mode was introduced and said non-RNG mode wouldn't have been needed. Forcing people to play it will not have them seeing the light, it will have them not playing unless there is an actual reward at the end of it all.

You're wrong, but this is not a thread about Law vs Chaos mode, so I'm not prepared to get into here.

You might not want this tournament to go ahead, fine, you've said as much. But if you've got nothing constructive to add, either kindly drop out of the discussion, and/or put your own proposal forward elsewhere.

But please don't try to derail the thread.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:59 am

• @SpiteAndMalice

I have never said I did not wish for this tournament to go ahead. I am merely pointing out that you are preparing a year long tournament with a rolling format involving teams of players fighting for Demigods & Gods when it seems no Demigods or Gods have been asked to participate and shouldn't that be your first step before recruiting players to fight for them? Also, the willingness of players to participate in a rolling format competition is an issue because many simply won't. RNG-adverse players are not going to participate in a tournament because they are ordered to, just as certain players refuse to play Equiped. If no Reward is able to offered then players simply aren't to play a game they don't want to.

As requested, I shall leave your thread now.

Farious
    Farious

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 am

• For the original Tournament of the Gods at Law-n-Chaos, a number of backer gods (e.g., Old Gods) essentially just ok'd the use of their names and concept art and we went for it. Most of the gods didn't even themselves participate.

Now, all that art plus more is officially part of the game and its lore care of The Loremaster's Guide. You don't need any of our permissions to use it. It's part of the game's lore, and that's what the game's lore is for. So....

Just create teams associated with whatever combination of gods you want from The Loremaster's Guide. Do whatever you want with it and have fun. Again, that's what the lore is for. Use, abuse, or ignore as you see fit.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 am

• To clarify a couple of things in response:

Firstly, in all the time which I have been playing Chaos I have never proposed any type of tournament in which players are 'forced' to take part. I'm not intending to start doing so now. What's more, I don't think that CR as a game has ever done this either, so I don't imagine that they would either (even if it were possible for them to do so).

Secondly; we could make it a Tournament of the Gods, or a Tournament of the Guilds (as mentioned in the guilds forum). I personally feel that there's little difference between in terms of how the competition might work, it's just a theme either way. It could also be Law vs Neutral vs Chaos. (I personally think that many factions is more interesting than 3.)

Thirdly; in proposing to reboot this tournament there's been no mention of Classic Chaos format -

When making an unofficial tournament you simply have to choose a game mode as a default, otherwise you run the risk of having fixtures where players can't agree upon a particular mode.

I tend to choose Classic Chaos because I personally favour it, but it also has the advantage of putting all players on an equal footing (one player doesn't have more equipment than any other). I've usually set Classic Chaos as a default option, but included the caveat that players can switch modes if both wish to.

For the large part I don't think Law mode even existed when I was launching the majority of tournaments that I've created.

The proposal here is to set something up in an official capacity. As such it's viable to let it run across all game formats simultaneously.

Overall this is just a proposal, nothing is set in stone.

For match timings I'm proposing a rolling format because I feel that tournaments with an end point serve to 'end' player interest. We having nothing with this format, so it fills a niche - And not everyone likes the common 1 month competition.

For reward, there's nothing in game that can be offered that players don't already have, so a material reward in pointless for any competition. I'd propose instead that the reward here is bragging rights and/or a big shiny medal ;-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Previous

Return to Tournaments and Matchmaking

Information