4Most Masters - Second Edition

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
Obsilium

4Most Masters - Second Edition

Post by Obsilium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:44 am

The next edition of 4Most Masters is upon us, and we will see if a new champion will arise.

Things staying the same:

16 players, 1 game against everybody (5 games in the qualifying round), 25 turn 4 player classic FFA in asynchronous mode, with 20 days per player. The scoring will remain the same for the qualifying round, i.e., 1 point obtained for each wizard that dies before you. Tiebreaks are first points from head to head matches against opponents with the same point total, then summation of the point totals of the players who died before you. If players remain equal after these conditions, they will stay tied unless qualification depends on it, in which case I will randomize (or ask somebody to randomize for me if I am involved) the placing.

Differences:

I hope to have two divisions, the Candidates Division and the Challengers Division, each with 16 players. 4 slots in the Candidates Division are open for the four finalists from the first 4Most Masters, and the other twelve will be given out on a first come, first served basis. The only exception is that players who have not taken part in forum or Law&Chaos tournaments (Goo Power, Quantum Cup, 4C, Spite Nights, and PV Open all count) must begin in the Challengers Division. And in the future, players who have not taken part in the 4Most Masters before will most likely have to join the Challengers Division. The reason for this is just to minimize the risk of players going AFK in the Candidates Division.

The Candidates Division will have a qualifying round and a final round. The Challengers Division will just have a qualifying round, with the top eight finishers guaranteed a place in the next Candidates Division. Players may take part in both Candidates and Challengers Division. However, in the Challengers Division, priority will be given to players who are not in the Candidates Division.

Up for Vote:

I will allow the players in the Candidates Division to vote on the format of the final. The choices are the same format as previously (four finalists, one match, with draw odds given by standing in the qualifying round), or five finalists each playing four matches (one player missing from every match), with the top scorer in the final round declared the champion. Tiebreaks would be as in the qualifying round, with tiebreaks from the qualifying round used to sort ties. Since I will not vote, one format will end up chosen.

Please sign up in this thread, and make sure to notify me whether you want to sign up for the Candidates Division, the Challengers Division or both. If you want to join the Candidates Division, tell me your preferred format for the final. The tournament will start once the Challengers and Candidates Divisions are full or the new update arrives, whichever comes later.

Good luck!
////// T S U R T //////
/// I ///////////// E ///
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

Obsilium

Re: 4Most Masters - Second Edition

Post by Obsilium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:46 am

Standings:

Efreet: 13
Varanas: 9
Trigz: 9
SpiteAndMalice: 9
Mr_Twister: 8
ContraMinus: 7
stubar: 7
Mazy: 7
SlipperyJim: 6
Obsilium: 5
RafiRomero: 5
Kahangriel: 5
ahMostyn: 5
MattyRasker: 4
gary: 4
Incarnadine: 3

Pairings:

Game 1: Kahangriel (1), stubar (2), Mazy (2), Incarnadine (0)
Game 2: Obsilium (0), Efreet (3), ahMostyn (2), MattyRasker (1)
Game 3: Trigz (2), SlipperyJim (1), ContraMinus (2), gary (0)
Game 4: Mr_Twister (3), RafiRomero (1), Varanas (0), SpiteAndMalice (2)

Game 5: RafiRomero (1), stubar (0), Efreet (3), Trigz (2)
Game 6: ahMostyn (0), Mazy (2), SlipperyJim (1), Mr_Twister (3)
Game 7: Incarnadine (2), Obsilium (0), ContraMinus (1), Varanas (2)
Game 8: Kahangriel (2), MattyRasker (0), gary (1), SpiteAndMalice (2)

Game 9: SpiteAndMalice (3), stubar (2), ahMostyn (0), ContraMinus (1)
Game 10: Efreet (2), Mazy (1), gary (0), Varanas (2)
Game 11: MattyRasker (2), Incarnadine (0), Trigz (3), Mr_Twister (1)
Game 12: Obsilium (3), Kahangriel (0), SlipperyJim (1), RafiRomero (2)

Game 13: gary (0), stubar (2), Obsilium (2), Mr_Twister (1)
Game 14: MattyRasker (1), Mazy (2), ContraMinus (2), RafiRomero (0)
Game 15: Incarnadine (1), Efreet (3), SlipperyJim (0), SpiteAndMalice (2)
Game 16: Trigz (2), Kahangriel (0), ahMostyn (1), Varanas (3)

Game 17: Varanas (2), stubar (1), MattyRasker (0), SlipperyJim (3)
Game 18: SpiteAndMalice (0), Mazy (0), Obsilium (0), Trigz (0)
Game 19: Incarnadine (0), ahMostyn (2), gary (3), RafiRomero (1)
Game 20: Kahangriel (2), Efreet (2), ContraMinus (1), Mr_Twister (0)
Last edited by Obsilium on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 35 times in total.
////// T S U R T //////
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:37 am

Yes please

ahMostyn

Post by ahMostyn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for organising this again Obs, would love to play.

Regarding the supplementary questions: Candidates and single match final.

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 am

Please sign me up. :)

I have no preferences regarding format.

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:39 am

Sign me up please for the Candidates Division (You can put me down for the Challengers too if you end up short of players, but please don't put me there for now as I don't want to take a slot up that someone else might want.)

I'd prefer a 1 off final.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:51 pm

I'll play!, no preferences really.

So there's a one off final based on the top league placements at end of season? sounds good, kinda like having an async league winner and a separate live play-off cup winner.... a mini league between the top 4 finishers could work also, I guess that's basically the same as a best of 3 or 4 final though, but all them games would remain async?, where as I think the one off final switches from async to live (or as 'live') which is a different format/discipline.

Players being able to co-exist in both divisions sounds interesting, I'll play both! is that possible? (or did I read it wrong?), sounds like a good way to play lots of async 4ways anyway. All games run simultaneously?

Could a 10 day timer work? just as a way of maybe guarding against any new entrants going AWOL, with 20 days if they did time out there's a chance a game could still drag for over a month before actually fully timing out (if they were still taking the odd turn every 7 days). A 10 day timer might help keep games moving, and in terms of 4ways when there are 3 other players to take their turns ahead of you over the course of 48 hrs or so (during which time your timer won't move at all) a 10 day timer is still a big buffer by the time it comes back round to your turn.

Obsilium

Post by Obsilium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:30 pm

The standard final format would be a one off game. I'm thinking that the five player final might have the winner of the Challengers Division along with the top four players from the Candidates. You are correct that players can coexist in both divisions. That is the only way in my opinion that we would be able to fill out 32 players, and playing in the Challengers also helps you maintain your position in the Candidates if you do badly there.

Players can agree to play 10 day games if they all accept.
////// T S U R T //////
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Mazy wrote:where as I think the one off final switches from async to live (or as 'live') which is a different format/discipline.

I'd prefer an asynch final personally, playing live is a different discipline.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.