4Most Masters - Second Edition

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
Mr_Twister

Re: 4Most Masters - Second Edition

Post by Mr_Twister » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:40 pm

That was most definitely a weird game, 2 turns before the end a 4-player tie was still possible (and so 0 points each).

That turmoil was quite something, but ultimately, if Contraminus hadn't died, he wouldn't have gotten any more points. Only Kahangriel and Efreet would have gotten 1 point less, which seems unimportant for the tournament as a whole (for one the final is already out of reach, for the other the final is already guaranteed)

I personally had a bad start, and had to burn quite a few cards just to get some worthwhile defence. First it looked like Efreet would crush Kahangriel with his unicorns and spiders. But he got away on a manticore, quite useful with the cracks in the terrain. My vamp got close to sucking Kahangriel dry, but an uphill melee attack smothered all hope. Meanwhile, it looked like Efreet's large army would run over Contraminus. But he got a teleport just in time to escape, landing on a practically inaccessible hex. He was in bolt range, across a crack in the terrain, but I had no bolts or ranged attacks. I did have a lion that could have leaped down on him, but Kahangriel's Paladin and later Hydra blocked my path. As a result I ended up in the middle, out of cards, out of options.

On a side note: I really like that map, it often provides for some memorable games.
--------------------------------------------------
Oh you ****king fool - you left us carrying your useless pain and now we're trapped here until we die. Remains, remains, the residue. Remains, remains, now is it you ???
(The Legendary Pink Dots - Spike)

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:36 am

Mr_Twister wrote:My vamp got close to sucking Kahangriel dry, but an uphill melee attack smothered all hope.
That is one of the reasons I did so poorly in this tournament. I completely miscounted the hexes and ended up giving the vampire height advantage just so I could get an 8% shot or something like that on your vine.

Mr_Twister wrote:I did have a lion that could have leaped down on him
The lion still needs to land next to its target in order to attack. As such, ContraMinus was completely invulnerable to melee attacks.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Kahangriel wrote:
Stitchy wrote:i think i didnt have cards for the last 8 turns or so
Didn't you have a second teleport or something like that, though? Obviously it would have made no difference at all against turmoil, but I seem to remember you saying that you still had one final trick up your sleeve.
ye that was the trick, pure bluff

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 am

Stitchy wrote:ye that was the trick, pure bluff
And a very fine trick it is. :)

Obsilium

Post by Obsilium » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:00 pm

For the first time in the history of the 4Most Masters, a 4-way draw occurred.

Obsilium, Mazy, SpiteAndMalice and Trigz receive no points. The talking point of the game will be SpiteAndMalice's amazing string of failed casts and the corresponding failure of my one dwarf army to eliminate him while he was vulnerable. Trigz quickly reached a movement of four, but didn't utilize it at all, and Mazy's attempts at pressure were insufficient to bring down any wizard. Mazy also gets a badge of shame for failing to use turmoil.
////// T S U R T //////
/// I ///////////// E ///
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Yes! I really wanted to cast turmoil as soon as I got it on turn two, I chickened out, it might have been an inspired move, definitely would have caused some early deaths! (possibly my own as well)...I drew another turmoil a few turns later, again unused and burnt for 2 mana :lol: that's how bad I wanted manti's mega to work, so I deserve two badges of shame really :(

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Joint Victors - Spite & Kahangriel the dream team.
3rd - Gary the insane
4th - Matty the digested

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Game #08 is over.

2nd - Kahangriel
2nd - SpiteAndMalice
3rd - Gary
4th - MattyRasker

Have I ever said 25 turns is just not enough?

We went back and forth for most of the game, with no one really getting the upper hand, until Matty failed a teleport spell and took a bolt to the face from me. It then looked we were heading for a 3-way tie, but by that time Gary was so bored with asynch matches he must have thought death-by-Spite was a better option. With only Spite left alive and time running out fast I tried attacking with everything I had, wizard included. It's not like I was going anywhere in the rankings, so I wasn't too worried about getting killed. Still, since Spite tends to play a bit defensively, I was assuming he would probably run away on his manticore. However, instead of flying away he flew against me, killing my undead elephant and almost killing me as well. This gave me a chance to kill him on my last turn, but my hellhound failed to paralyse his manticore and both my wizard and my elf failed to kill it. As such, instead of gloriously killing Spite with megabolt, I just teleported away.

By the way, I'm curious to see how many matches in this tournament will not have a winner. I figure it will be a considerably high number.

Edit: This concludes my participation in the tournament. I got a whopping 5 points, as a result of two 2nd places, one 3rd place and two 4th places. It was mostly an embarrassing performance, with a few tactical mistakes here and there. I should probably have used illusions more, particularly since my real creatures kept failing. It's like my staff used up all of its mojo in the first tournament and was just running on fumes in this one. Thanks to Obsilium for organising the event and good luck to all those still fighting for a shot at the final.
Last edited by Kahangriel on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Kahangriel wrote:
By the way, I'm curious to see how many matches in this tournament will not have a winner. I figure it will be a considerably high number.
I like to think that the tournament as a whole has more winners than games. :-)

It's been really enjoyable to play against you all once more, and cheers Obs for setting this up - I hope there's a 3rd edition following on its heels.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:14 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:I like to think that the tournament as a whole has more winners than games. :-)
Quite right, although I insist that 25 turns is just not enough as a maximum limit. There are a lot of matches that end just when things are really about to get interesting. Also, this tournament brought the first 4-way draw, which should absolutely not happen when playing with the maximum limit of turns.

SpiteAndMalice wrote:It's been really enjoyable to play against you all once more, and cheers Obs for setting this up - I hope there's a 3rd edition following on its heels.
I think I may sit that one out, though. I understand why Gary did what he did in our match, since I also have some difficulty in handling asynch games. It is very frustrating for me to wait hours or even days for my next move. This is even more so after I fail a spell or when there is a possibility that I will get killed when my opponents play. In those situations I really REALLY want to see what happens next, so I pretty much end up checking for new moves every 10 minutes or so. Honestly it feels a bit like watching a movie 5 minutes at a time, with 1-day intervals between each sitting.