The Wizards of Many Colours

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

The Wizards of Many Colours

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 am

I've been wondering for a little while now whether it's possible to make a tournament which makes use of the Level 1 Equipped Mode game. i.e. You can select your staff and body gear, but not select your talismans.

I also wanted to make something that would act as a bit of experiment, that would let people have a bit of fun in some battles.

So what I'm proposing is this:

We have a 4 way multiplayer tournament which takes place over a number of rounds (each round can run concurrently), and then within each round we have a different theme based on the staffs types available in the game. So,
Round 1 Air
Round 2 Armoury
Round 3 Attack
Round 4 Chaos
Round 5 Creatures
Round 6 Growths
Round 7 Law
Round 8 Marksmen
Round 9 Mounts
Round 10 Neutral
Round 11 Speed
Round 12 Undead

Each Wizard takes the relevant staff type into battle
- for round 1 we're all wielding Air staffs
- for round 3 we're all wielding Attack sticks
- for round 6 we're all covered in Gooey Blob

And so on...

The only downsides are going to be that
a) you'll need a staff of each type in order to enter
b) To quote snapshot games WARNING - superb gear management skills required!

So who fancies a try?

I obviously need 4 players to make this viable, any multiple of 4 would then also work. I'm seeing this as a bit of fun rather than a serious competition at this point to which I'm not too concerned about making fixtures work, for each round I think I'm just going to draw names out of my lucky wizard sock or other appropriate accoutrements.

I recon also, that when the next update drops in, we could even try run this as a sixer. :-)

Participants:
SpiteAndMalice
Worto03
DisgruntledElf
Mazy
SlipperyJim
Varanas

Reserves for the next competition:
Stitchy
Viking34
Dumfsirg
Last edited by SpiteAndMalice on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

worto03

Re: The Wizards of Many Colours

Post by worto03 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 am

count me in, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking to do, if nobody else creates odd custom tourneys I will.

Count me in for anything like this although I'm pretty tied to asynch these days

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 am

Sounds interesting! Is every round almost a mirror match kinda thing? theme wise every one has the same, but everyone has different megas and bodygear. Or, say for example in the growth round could players actually use non growth staffs as long as they had growth megas? e.g, Law/MagicTrees, Chaos/GooeyMass

...I guess that would be a slightly different kind of 'taboo', one that specifies the mega theme over the staff type theme. Maybe there is room for both... You can have an Attack staff round, all attack staffs with varied megas, but with many likely opting for megabolt megas...or you could have an actual megabolt round where everyone has the megabolt mega but random staff, megabolt covers every staff type there is, so it would almost be a freestyle round.

Anyway yeah something like this needs to happen because there is still nothing within the game encouraging me (or forcing me!) to change load-outs often enough. To think I went from using a different load-out every game (in random MP) to using the same load-out in a thousand plus matches in a row, saddening!

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am

For this I'm intending to go down the staffs route Mazy - Getting 12 of them is enough of a shopping trip, and Steve is already rich enough. ;-)

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:For this I'm intending to go down the staffs route Mazy - Getting 12 of them is enough of a shopping trip, and Steve is already rich enough. ;-)
:lol: Cool, yep Steve really should do some special deals from time to time, like those limited time only steam sales '33% off all Marksman this weekend' - 'two free talismans with every purchase' or massive discount for buying in bulk.... or daily bonus if you win one game in 24 hrs spin a roulette wheel to see if you win a free item.

I hope equipment trading has a future because I sell as many items as I buy (always at the 200 limit) and the stuff I'm selling isn't duff. That reminds me, if there's a thread about random loot drops it might need reviving, some of my favorite linear games I find re-playable just for the random loot drops, I'm starting to think realm shops should be random items to.

DisgruntledElf

Post by DisgruntledElf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:05 am

I'd sign up for this, as well. Different formats keeps things fresh, and this looks like a fun one.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 am

Cool, well 4 lets us get this going. I'll give it another week before I announce fixtures and lets see whether we can get up to 8. (Essentially I'm on holiday for a week).

DisgruntledElf

Post by DisgruntledElf » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:22 am

Should be fun. To make sure I've got everything I need, are we doing selected staff types, or one of every kind of staff available in the game? Is there a list somewhere? I'm pretty sure I've got at least one of each, but I don't want to cause a delay later.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 am

DisgruntledElf wrote:Is there a list somewhere?
Hi Elf, there are 12 staff types... they can be seen on the forge screen (in-game) or....
See 'ForgeIndex' list below!
II II II
II II II
V V V

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Mazy wrote:
DisgruntledElf wrote:Is there a list somewhere?
Hi Elf, there are 12 staff types... they can be seen on the forge screen (in-game) or....
See 'ForgeIndex' list below!
II II II
II II II
V V V
That's a really useful link Mazy - Thanks for sharing, I recon for this tournament in particular it'll help out loads both in double checking that people have got all 12 staffs, but also in selecting the best ones.

I've edited the 12 types into the OP as well.