2nd Worto / Varanas
3rd Spite
4th Mazy
5th Jim
6th Elf

worto03

Re: The Wizards of Many Colours

Post by worto03 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Mazy wrote:Yeah it's good stuff, but I will admit there were lots of circumstances where some great plays would have been possible with the right talismans, but I guess that would defeat the object of the experiment. I didn't miss the meta stuff too much, only in a few specific instances.

The main thing was it was really interesting to experiment with how 6ways play out (and which 6way maps work best). I really assumed that the format wouldn't be that much different to 4ways, but it is so so different!.. I feel like this tournament has broadened my understanding of a few things.

There's not really a mechanic within the game that 'makes' me use every staff/gear type.. I really want a in-game button that randomises my kit!
It would have been entirely different with talismans, I didn't know we weren't going to use them until we started, still no idea if it would have made things better or worse, it sure would have made it harder to get each game started trying to come up with a good build for every staff type with talismans, I'm not sure if I'd have coped with trying to come up with 12 good builds!

Agreed that 6 ways are very different to 3 and 4 ways, I learnt a lot too playing so many of them and had much fun at the same time!

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Updated Scores:
TWOC Scoreboard.png

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

DisgruntledElf

Post by DisgruntledElf » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:33 pm

worto03 wrote:
DisgruntledElf wrote:Finally didn't finish last or second to last! Hopefully I've turned the corner.
This tournament has not been good to you - or should that be Mazy has not been good to you ;)

it's good that you took it well - a lesser person might have gone mental and started shouting about a conspiracy :roll:

Spite - it's the best tournament I've been involved in so far we have to do another when you're up for it!
No, I don't get worked up playing games, and certainly not risk management/probability maximization games. I'd never done more than 1v1's, so there was a bit of a learning curve. And the nature of Chaos Reborn is such that it's going to happen. It's possible to make bad decisions and win, and possible to make the perfect move every turn and lose. But I enjoy games like that. I'm a solid chess player, but if I play a grandmaster at chess, I'm going to lose 1,000 times out of 1,000 times. Games like Chaos Reborn give a worse player a chance to win, and keeps better players from getting complacent! Like in Warhammer 40k, or Magic: the Gathering, or Yahtzee, or baseball, or whatever, if my process is good and I lose, I'm happy. If I make stupid moves and blunder into a win, I'm not. In this case, I played badly, so I expect to finish poorly in the rankings. One key idea I took away was that you have to be much more aggressive in these, so I expect to do a little better next time.
An interesting note is that I assumed there would be - and maybe there were more than I noticed - tons and tons of illusions. Failing a disbelieve in a 1v1 can be disastrous or not, but I feel in a 6-way, the opportunity cost for a failed disbelieve is really, really high. I assumed there'd be illusions left and right because, you know, who wants to risk their turn disbelieving while 5 other players are improving their board position? Perhaps it's because they tend to turn into two separate 3 on 3's for the early turns.

Viking34

Post by Viking34 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:50 am

You forgot to remind me!!

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:19 am

Viking34 wrote:You forgot to remind me!!
This is still the first play through Vik - I've got you on my reserve list for the 2nd time that we run this though. (See the OP) :)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 pm

The Speed Game

2nd Spite/Mazy
3rd Worto
4th Jim
5th Varanas
6th Elf (probably killed by Mazy again) ;-)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Final Scores:
TWOC Scoreboard.png

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Nice! ..you are the master of the massively multiplayer format, first 4ways and now 6way to! What next? domination in the 8way division?.. Oh wait you won the 1v1 tourney to.. ok you are the Daley Thompson of Chaos, a master at every event.

I'm campaigning for 'classic law' and 'equipped law' to be added to the list of events to see if we can find a weak spot in your game!

... and no I didn't kill Elf in the Speed game, slander! expect to hear from my lawyers!

worto03

Post by worto03 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Congrats Spite!

I thought I was doing well until the scores started to come in!

I'm quite happy with most of my selections gear wise, no 1st places cost me and getting involved too early sometimes when there was a standoff.

Would be great to do this again, give people some notice (to buy some staffs) and push for some new players to get involved. Could do with a 5 day timer though, it worked well with us because we're all regulars but might not be so fluid if more players were involved.