The Paradigm Shift - test run

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:04 pm

• Hey people,

As most of you will know, the 3rd task of The Malice Chalice had contestants design a new competition type to possibly add in-game. See this topic from Round 3 of the Malice Chalice for more background. For my entry "The Paradigm Shift", I would like to setup a small test tournament to verify whether the format is viable and fun.

For this, I'm looking for experienced players with a fairly large inventory of staves, bodygear and talismans.
    My initial idea is to work with 8 players, but I may decrease that to 4 if there are insufficient volunteers. Setup below is assuming we get 8 players.

The game will be played over 8 rounds, each round consisting of 4 live duels between 2 players, all using the equipped chaos mode. Matchups will be randomly determined by me. After each round, the 4 losing players have the option to choose a different loadout for the next round. The 4 winning players on the other hand have to play the next round with the loadout of the opponent they defeated, or at least a loadout that is as similar as possible (an issue we wouldn't have when the competition is integrated in the game). To this extent, losing players have to post full stats (staff, bodygear, talismans) of the loadout they used.

After 8 rounds, the player with the longest winning streak will win the mini-tournament. In case of a tie, we will use the tie breakers as outlined in the original thread to determine the winner.

Please post here if you want to join, I will post full details when we have enough participants.

This is how the competition is meant to work in-game :

The competition format & scoring system :
    Seasonal competition. Players must first sign up for the competition (in-game), and can then queue for a live tournament game through the matchmaker. This will allow players to still queue up for other games as well, increasing their chances of finding a game.

At the end of each season, the player with the longest winning streak will be crowned the winner. Players are eliminated from the tournament whenever they lose a game, ending their current winning streak. Eliminated players are allowed to re-enter the tournament, starting from 0 victories, and only the best score will be taken into account.

In case of a tie between 2 or more players, the player with the most victories against tied opponents will win. If this results in a tie with less players, the same rule is applied again for the remaining tied players only.

If opponents are still tied, the previous rule is applied again, but this time looking at the least losses against tied opponents.

If opponents are still tied, the RNG decides.

Players with an unfinished winning streak will carry-over their current score and equipment load-out to the next season. Their current unfinished run will not be taken into account for the ranking of this season.

The competition’s match rules :
    Equipped duels, played live, 20 turns, 2min turn time, survivors draw. When signing up for the tournament, each players must forge a staff and bodygear and can choose from all existing talismans to fill the slots. However, this equipment will not be in their personal inventory, it will only exist inside the tournament.

After signing up, players can queue for a tournament game through the matchmaker.

The losing player is eliminated from the tournament, ending his current winning streak. This player may still sign up again to try a better run. Only his longest winning streak will be taken into account at the end of the season.

The winning player's winning streak is incremented by 1, and this player may queue up for another game again. However, this player will lose his current equipment load-out and will continue with the load-out of the losing player.

In case of a tie, both players will stay in the tournament, the tied game will not impact their winning streak, and both players switch their equipment load-out.

The competition time scale :
    A season will last 1 month.
    Game will be 20 turns, with a 2 min turn timer.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Oh you ****king fool - you left us carrying your useless pain and now we're trapped here until we die. Remains, remains, the residue. Remains, remains, now is it you ???
    (The Legendary Pink Dots - Spike)
    Mr_Twister

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 pm

• I didn't notice that you had posted this as an actual event.. I always put my name down for anything new, no matter what it is, so yeah ...I'll brush up on what it's all about once it gets underway lol
    Mazy

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:33 pm

• Maybe I should clarify as well that the games are supposed to be played live, but aren't played all at the same time. For each duel, players should look for a suitable time to play, then post results here. When all results for the 1st round are in, I will draw the pairing for the next round, and so forth.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Oh you ****king fool - you left us carrying your useless pain and now we're trapped here until we die. Remains, remains, the residue. Remains, remains, now is it you ???
    (The Legendary Pink Dots - Spike)
    Mr_Twister

Return to Tournaments and Matchmaking

Information