The Malice Chalice Task 9: Beat the Battlemage

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
SlipperyJim

Re: The Malice Chalice Task 9: Beat the Battlemage

Post by SlipperyJim » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 pm

OK contestants,

I have created the asynch match and sent invites. Aside from myself I invited you in alphabetical order of wizard name.

Incarnadine please accept my in-game friend request. :)

Remember - no talismans please!

I should note that this is just my part of Task 9 - not the whole thing.

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

Viking34

Post by Viking34 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:50 am

SlipperyJim wrote: I invited you in alphabetical order of wizard name.

RIIIIIIGGED! :lol:

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:03 am

Friendship is magic or some kind of trick anyway.

ive accepted friend request Jim so will join up when ever i get the invite.
PRETENAMA

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks old chap/chapess - will do so when I get in from work :)

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Grythandril

Post by Grythandril » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Could you resend the invite as I had to cancel in order to create a new staff.

the accept/decline button was over lapping the submit button
A Chaotic Wizard in a Chaotic World

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm

What a roller coaster!

So to start with I was nervous about playing against four people at once. Previous Beat the Battlemage games I have had were against two and I was concerned I would not be able to compete.

To try and counter this I forged entirely new kit - Neutral Stormrider with bound Bolt, Blob, Sword, Televortis, Romero and a major buff for mounts (Transonus). Vigilant Bodygear of course.

We played on Hyde Park which is very flat. Everyone started with a sprite within 2 spaces of the start with none to spare after that. ahMostyn was closest to me, then Viking, Grythandril and Incarnadine in that order.

Everyone took their sprites in their first turn.

On my first turn I burned until I could cast Stormrider which succeeded. Mostyn went next - he failed a Zombie spell. Gryth put up a Vine wall between himself and Inc. Inc cast a Lion and Viking a pesky Icarus tower.

With my trusty wings I flew to within 2 spaces of Mostyn and bolted him in the face. BOOM! To be honest I felt a little bad about this but figured I could not afford to waste chances.

Gryth failed a Bolt Tower, Inc summoned a Skeleton and Viking's Magic Attack killed the Lion. Viking moved forward with the Icarus and placed himself slightly forward of it as bait.

Sadly for him I had another bolt so I dropped within bolt range (but outside Icarus range) and bolted him in the face. BOOM! Now I really felt awkward. 2 kills by the end of turn 3. Had I skewed things too far in my favour?

Gryth tried a gooey blob in the middle ground between him and Inc but it failed. Inc failed a Sapphire Dragon. They both pulled back to either side of the vine wall.

Here's where karma started to bite. With my wizard kill mana I tried another Stormrider at 80% and it failed. I moved up to the central hill behind cover hoping to use my wings to my advantage. Gryth cast a blob between him and me which succeeded and Inc cast his Skeletons mega. He had four Skeletons on the board now.

I cast a magic sword which failed so I stayed put.

Gryth tried a magic attack on three Skeletons but it failed. Inc tried a Zombie but no joy.

I tried a boosted Elephant - the only mount I had in my deck but it failed. No Televortis for me! I stayed put.

Gryth got himself a sword while Inc added to his horde with a Hellhound! I disbelieved it but it was real! Uh oh!

They both successfully summoned Vampires but Inc's Skeletons started harrassing the Vine wall.

Getting low on spells I moved forward to try and get some mana from Gryth's blob and summoned an Elf.

Gryth failed a crystal wall aimed in Inc's direction while Inc summoned another Hellhound while failing to kill any of the Vines.

I failed to kill any blobs.

Gryth's patience paid off as he stepped forward and cast Gooey Mass - blobbing me, my elf and 4 of Inc's undead legion. His Vampire moved forward looking hungry. Seeing the danger Gryth posed to me, Inc de-blobbed his Vampire who flew over and hit Gryth. It failed so he cheered himself up by summoning another Skeleton. I wasn't sure who I was rooting for here but I guess if Gryth had been killed that would have at least freed me from the blob and impending death by anemia. Inc now had 5 Skeletons, 2 Hellhounds and a Vampire on the board!

Tired of wrestling with the blob I boosted my teleport to 98% to Captain Kirk my way out of there but Scotty was drunk or something and it failed. My Elf and I stared in concern at the nearby Gryth controlled vampire. We were both still blobbed. I wished I'd got my sword. We both survived the blob hugs.

Gryth attempted to cleave Inc's Vampire in twain with his sword he did not succeed. Not engaged he moved within bolt range of me and promptly bolted me to the face. It was a game winning move but sadly for him I am made of stern stuff and survived it. His vampire flew over and attacked but I survived that also. Then blam! The blob gripping me died out.

Inc's Vampire moved up and had another crack at Gryth but it did not kill him. His horde finished freeing themselves from the blob and moved up - killing a Vine in the process. He topped this off my pulling out another Vampire.

I didn't see a great deal of option here but to attack so I flew over to Gryth and bopped him on the head with my only weapon to hand - my staff. BOOM! I didn't feel bad about this kill at all! This left me next to and downhill from In'c first Vampire so I blobbed him. My newly freed Elf hid from the advancing undead.

Inc failed an Elf as his Army of Darkness came forward.

I crushed the noggin of Vampire uno and flushed with the mana of my recent kill cast Stormrider for the second time. Jimbat away!

It wasn't far enough.

Inc's leading Hellhound paralyzed me while he surrounded himself with his creatures to prevent my swooping in at a later date. He cast a magic sword to make sure he was extra spiky!

With little more than Rats left to cast I tried to disbelieve on the remaining Vampire but it was real. Still paralyzed I could only watch as the Hellhound ran up to me and MUNCH! It ate my face. It was all over on turn 13.

Well done Incarnadine!

tl;dr

Incarnadine wins 27 points. Every one else zero points including me.

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Overall I think this went well.

It was supposed to be a challenge for our noble finalists and I think I was a challenge.

I feel bad for ahMostyn who only got killed so early on because he was unlucky enough to be too close to me and failed his Zombie.

Viking had it coming for daring to cast an Icarus Tower.

Gryth was very unlucky as I took two blobs hits, one bolt and one Vampire hit from him. My return attack on him was 47-48% IIRC but then I suppose that's Chaos.

Incarnadine's undead army was impressive!

I selected Random Map but I wonder in this case if it would have been better to have selected one.

Either way - great game guys and once again may I congratulate you all for getting this far and Incarnadine for Beating the Battlemage!

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...