The Romero Tea Cup

For discussing tournaments and arranging matches
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 pm

• Edit: tea cup is now closed.

I'm quite excited about running The Romero Tea Cup again.

This would be a casual tournament running until the end of April, and then monthly if people are having fun:)
    You win an actual physical prize https://thecoffeehopper.com/ :)

My initial thoughts on rules:
    You'll need to have access to Discord at least for scoring - there's a web interface, it's very nice:)
    Live classic chaos for now
    VP off

The idea is, you pop up on Discord, see if you can find a Tea Cup participant to murder, murder them, and report your score on Discord via the bot-wizard's magic bot.
    There's no need to register, you can begin at any time (although waiting until the last day of the month is unlikely to work out for you:), and you can play anyone who is available at any time, any number of times. You're under no compulsion to play, however. From memory, this is how Ped's monthly tournaments worked?

Any thoughts on scoring?
    I think the scoring should be fairly transparent, exactly like the current league scoring isn't;
    I don't think I want to directly reward players who can get a huge number of games in vs good players who can't play as often (e.g., just counting wins is no good?);
    +1 win, -1 lose, 0 draw? << Will this work?

Anything else? I'm just talking about this right now, the wizard-bot isn't ready yet.
    Last edited by RafiRomero on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RafiRomero

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:39 pm

• Sounds Godly! My suggestion is to make score for draw !=0 as it would feel like a wasted game, kinda, also -1 isn't good and Ped's thingy had fixed amount of games per month for each participant iirc. Whatever the rules I'm up for it :)
    In Gary We Trust
    blobka
    DEMIGOD

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 am

• I think I'll go for 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.
    Once the competition is over, the top two players will play a best-of-three final to determine who will be winning a delicious bag of loose-leaf tea (or coffee, or, really, anything you fancy for ~£10:).

Thinking about this, if people are keen enough, there's no reason equipped, 3-way 4-way etc couldn't run in parallel: not sure we have the numbers for that, however.

I think bejebus is still stirring his cauldron right now, but hopefully I can post over the weekend with a proper start and end date and rules and stuff.
    RafiRomero

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:36 pm

• I know that Ped's site (LawAndChaos) isn't really in use much any more, but is there anyway to still interface with it for recording results of this? I think one strength that it really had was the ongoing presentation of competition standings.

Btw - With 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss you're creating a situation where the winner of the tournament will be the person who plays the most games. With 1 point for a win, 0 for a draw, and -1 for a loss there's a risk/reward element to playing more games. The former system suits a competition where you restrict the total number of games being played, whereas the later suits an unlimited number.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 pm

• Probably there will be a cap, as with Ped's site, where after you have played 10 games, you can still be an opponent, but cannot increase your own score.

We're (i.e., the incredible bot-wizard bejebus) are looking at using discord to handle the scoring.
    You just go the appropriate tournament channel and say
    !ibeat @SpiteAndMalice
    to report a win,
    !standings
    gets you the scoreboard etc.

It's very nice:)
    RafiRomero

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 pm

• This goes live on Monday! https://twitter.com/chaosgonerogue/stat ... 9174231040

The Romero Tea Cup is a casual 1v1 live* Classic Chaos tournament.
    Pop in [the discord "romero-tea-cup" channel, https://discord.gg/ChaosReborn] at any time; find any other player; defeat them; submit your score in the "romero-tea-cup" channel: type "^help" to learn how the bot works.
    2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for losing.
    After your 10th game, you can still play for fun, or to provide others with a challenge, but your score will not increase.
    Leaderboard is available in the scoring channel.

I will try and be around to support and play as much as possible: "at" me and I'll get a notification on my phone:) I'm RafiRomero#6512 on Discord.

Competition begins Monday 09 April;
    Scores will be counted 30 April;
    The two highest scoring playes will then play a final, comprising 3 duels.

Game Rules:
    Classic Chaos
    Victory points off
    2 minutes per turn (other time limits ok by mutual agreement)
    20 turns
    Random Map

Prize!
    ~£15 of fancy tea from thecoffeehopper.com - I ship globally, or can buy from your website of choice:)

*"Live aysnch" is fine by mutual agreement, if you're worried about your connection dropping out.
    RafiRomero

Tue May 01, 2018 9:33 am

Return to Tournaments and Matchmaking

Information