v0.30 - Remove or Limit Gold/XP in Encounters

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• In the realm editor, I can give players a 100% of getting their choice of 600 gold or 600 XP. I can then add up to 25 encounters. If I make a map with only one path of narrow travel from the portal that intersects with each of these encounters, players can "earn" their choice of 15,000 gold or 15,000 XP simply by moving their wizard across the map.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to eliminate gold and XP as an option for customized encounters. It makes sense that gold and XP should only be earned through wizard or totem battles. Alternatively, with a bit more complication, each Realm might have a pool of XP and gold available for customized encounters that is tied to the Realm's difficulty level and maybe even the Wizard King's character level. For example, (Realm level of 10) x (Wizard King level of 50) = (500 gold or XP that can be distributed through custom encounters).

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:Perhaps the easiest solution is to eliminate gold and XP as an option for customized encounters. It makes sense that gold and XP should only be earned through wizard or totem battles.

What point does that leave to having encounters in the first place?

NoWorries wrote:Alternatively, with a bit more complication, each Realm might have a pool of XP and gold available for customized encounters that is tied to the Realm's difficulty level

This could work.

NoWorries wrote:and maybe even the Wizard King's character level. For example, (Realm level of 10) x (Wizard King level of 50) = (500 gold or XP that can be distributed through custom encounters).

This kind of thing makes realm creation elitist, someone might be a great realm creator, without actually playing many games. I wouldn't want to see this kind of barrier to the realm creation process. This suggestion and also leads to inflation as the game ages (and all players level up).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:
    NoWorries wrote:Perhaps the easiest solution is to eliminate gold and XP as an option for customized encounters. It makes sense that gold and XP should only be earned through wizard or totem battles.

What point does that leave to having encounters in the first place?

Law Kudos, Chaos Kudos, FluxMana, Reputation, BanishSpell, Creature Allies, and Time would remain things that could be obtained in encounters. Importantly, none of these resources will continue to benefit players after they leave the Realm.

We could potentially have our cake and eat it, too, if a way is found to layer Encounters on top of Wizard Lord/Village combats... and the combats would remain the way that players gain gold and XP.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• I also see no reason for XP to be granted from encounters.

Gold makes a bit more sense as it's thematic to have encounters that involve acquiring gold or spending it to gain information or an ally or mana flux etc. I have an encounter in my first realm that involves choosing whether to engage a dwarf in conversation or attempt to steal his unguarded money purse.

The danger of course is in being able to create encounters that 'gift' the player silly amounts of gold with little or no effort.

I like the idea of being limited in the amount of gold that can be allocated in encounters based on the level of the realm.

I'd drop XP from the encounter system entirely.

I would love it if encounters could result in other encounter locations being revealed on the map - thus creating a breadcrumb trail of encounters that can develop story. i.e An encounter result would be "reveal encounter x" somewhere else on the map.
    Tess
    GOD

• Tess wrote:
    I would love it if encounters could result in other encounter locations being revealed on the map - thus creating a breadcrumb trail of encounters that can develop story. i.e An encounter result would be "reveal encounter x" somewhere else on the map.

This kind of thing would be nice, both for encounters and as a result of match victories.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:
    Tess wrote:

This kind of thing would be nice, both for encounters and as a result of match victories.

yeah, possibly even different rewards for beating a lord 1st go might be nice? Like you get access to a hidden rumour if you beat it first go, standard reward if not.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

• Tess wrote:I would love it if encounters could result in other encounter locations being revealed on the map - thus creating a breadcrumb trail of encounters that can develop story. i.e An encounter result would be "reveal encounter x" somewhere else on the map.

This is planned.
    Julian Gollop
    Site Admin

• Julian Gollop wrote:This Is Planned.

I heard this in the booming voice of echoing stone coffins. I've added the appropriate capitals.
    Tess
    GOD

• gonna +1 to a limit. The difficulty should allow more than just gameplay changes. More difficulty = more reward. The pool should scale accordingly.

If the pool idea is disliked, perhaps you simply set small medium or large reward, and the difficulty decides what that amount actually is. this way creators don't have to fuss over a pool to manage, although it takes away from creativity it adds to simplicity.

Overall I think the pool idea works best.
    Bob

• Another idea, feeding off of Julian's self-contained Realm thread ideas, is to limit the amount of gold that can be taken with a wizard out of a Realm (since the amount allowed to be brought into a Realm might be limited).

Though even here it makes sense that Player-created Encounters shouldn't reward XP, leaving XP rewards to battles.

NoWorries
    GOD

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information