Chaos Reborn Lore Discussion 101

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 am

• How do the concept of time and space, life and death work in this universe, i.e. specifically from the perspective of wizards? The whole system of Limbo and the fractured realms reminds me a wee bit of the Dark Souls universe, where the whole world is frozen in sort of a space-time fault, and each player is essentially living the same existence in a different dimension, and co-op/pvp takes place when two dimensions overlap and people temporarily enter another player's plane of reality. Players are also trapped in sort of a groundhog day experience, where they just resurrect from death over and over, and can only die mentally through losing their will to live and carry on, but never physically. Since Chaos Reborn has some mechanical similarities, I'd like to know how the lore plays into those.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:27 am

• was also curious if some sort parallel universe thing was going on. Say you have multiple realms with the same king, having a parralel universe were the god of undead, was some sort of savior of the people in another realm.
    anjovi

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:26 pm

• TΛPETRVE wrote:How do the concept of time and space, life and death work in this universe, i.e. specifically from the perspective of wizards? The whole system of Limbo and the fractured realms reminds me a wee bit of the Dark Souls universe, where the whole world is frozen in sort of a space-time fault, and each player is essentially living the same existence in a different dimension, and co-op/pvp takes place when two dimensions overlap and people temporarily enter another player's plane of reality. Players are also trapped in sort of a groundhog day experience, where they just resurrect from death over and over, and can only die mentally through losing their will to live and carry on, but never physically. Since Chaos Reborn has some mechanical similarities, I'd like to know how the lore plays into those.

Its an interesting concept. I'm looking at something a little different and haven't fully fleshed the idea out yet, but here are the basics.

Time is often perceived by us as a branching tree. We travel from its trunk into the branches which represent possible futures as each decision presents a set of new realities. A yes/no decision means reality has duplicated, a yes/no/maybe triplicated and so on.

However, if you perceive the past as a series of branches as well, with the only constant point being the here and now, this explains why we can all experience similar stories and realities, but end up in the same place (meeting up) at a given moment.

This fragmentation occurred during the Schism and Tumult, which I will be explaining further in the forthcoming Chaos Reborn fiction.
    AllenStroud

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:27 pm

• Thanks for the response :) . I'm planning to build my realm on themes of depression, apathy and stagnation, so it would be nice to know how time flows in this universe.
    TΛPETRVE

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:17 pm

• TΛPETRVE wrote:Thanks for the response :) . I'm planning to build my realm on themes of depression, apathy and stagnation, so it would be nice to know how time flows in this universe.

Sounds like an excess of law in your reality sir...;)

I think its important to consider time as relative amidst the realms, in that time is relative to each realm of itself. Limbo is always constant and singular, but travelling through a portal can return you a different time point in a realm.

An interesting idea would be to design a series of realms that are the same map, but time progressions from each other. So, completing realm 1, creates the circumstance of realm 2, etc.
    AllenStroud

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

• My realm is neutral, not law-centric. Things do happen, it's just that nobody gives a hideously mutated giant rat's arse.
    TΛPETRVE

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:08 am

• I'm curious about..The logistics of creature summoning.

Were do the creatures come from? What happens when a creature summon fails?
    anjovi

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:52 am

• One of the most challenging questions we started tackling very early on.

Essentially there are two origins of creatures. One is the conjured origin, where they appear as summoned immediately with no knowledge of any past and are immediately slaved to the command of the wizard.

The second is the hidden origin, where they were part of the previous chaos war (the game Chaos) and were contained in subterranean civilisations known as 'dooms'. This is explained in the forthcoming novels.

In terms of playing the game, the creature summoned can be of either persuasion; yanked from home and compelled to serve or suddenly self aware. Both provide an interesting story.
    AllenStroud

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:57 am

• This is great - it's like retrospectively theorycrafting why things are the way they are in something like 'Lost'.
    Tess
    GOD

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:00 am

• What effects/tolls does the use of magic have on the wizards themselves?

I've been kind of seeing it as a game of Russian roulette with thier sanity on the line due to the chaotic nature of the energies involved. More power gained, more strain on ones mental health with only the strength the wizards' will holding the encroaching madness at bay. But magic itself is a powerfully alluring/addictive thing and once wielded for the first time all wizards are drawn to use it again. Think of it like ones sex drive for a mundane equivalent, always there and can only be temporarily sated and if ignored causes mental and physical stress.

Thus for a wizard to gain enough power to become a god they must have equally powerful minds, or they'd lose it long before ascending,. And to be fair some gods may already be mad, after all crazy doesn't always mean psychotic and self destructive. Hell, many real world gods are known to be bipolar.
    Dekronos

PreviousNext

Return to Realm Design

Information