Chaos Reborn Lore Discussion 101

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:43 pm

  • Dekronos wrote:What effects/tolls does the use of magic have on the wizards themselves?


    If you mean by using magic, it is exhaustive as any exertion can be.
    Dekronos wrote:I've been kind of seeing it as a game of Russian roulette with thier sanity on the line due to the chaotic nature of the energies involved. More power gained, more strain on ones mental health with only the strength the wizards' will holding the encroaching madness at bay. But magic itself is a powerfully alluring/addictive thing and once wielded for the first time all wizards are drawn to use it again. Think of it like ones sex drive for a mundane equivalent, always there and can only be temporarily sated and if ignored causes mental and physical stress.


    I like the idea for an individual narrative. The addiction, if psychosomatically based, would prove an interesting story for an individual wizard.
    Dekronos wrote:Thus for a wizard to gain enough power to become a god they must have equally powerful minds, or they'd lose it long before ascending,. And to be fair some gods may already be mad, after all crazy doesn't always mean psychotic and self destructive. Hell, many real world gods are known to be bipolar.


    I'm not sure that this would be the case as a general rule as this would preclude other backgrounds and many of the current gods. Magical addiction would be unlikely to continue in its current form (if an individual were suffering from it) once a wizard started to transcend beyond their mortal form anyway. There is some fiction already written that documents how wizards become magic and lose contact with their actual form at some point during the process of becoming a demi-god or god.

    However I like the idea for one wizard's story.
    User avatar
    AllenStroud
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:02 am

  • I was thinking more long term, like what does magic do to you over decades of regular use. I'm a firmly in the "everything has a cost" camp when it comes to the supernatural. Without limits/costs wizards can do anything at almost any time; it is why magic is the ultimate deus ex machina of fantasy, and "a wizard did it" is the standard explanation for story/setting inconsistencies and retcons.

    I'm going for an "Chaos hidden within Order" theme for my realm and for its ruler the archetype of the desperate crone who will reclaim/retain her beauty at all costs. And by using what all/most wizards will have to deal with due to prolonged magic use to make them both tragic and have that "only but for the grace of god go I" vibe
    Dekronos
     
    Posts: 65
    Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:57 pm

  • AllenStroud wrote:There is some fiction already written that documents how wizards become magic and lose contact with their actual form at some point during the process of becoming a demi-god or god.


    How does that tie in with the Social system where post-backers can lose their status as God?

    Also, I have a lore question:

    What are the realms a remnant of? Just one world? All worlds that were somehow affected by the Schism? Is Earth theoretically a realm one could venture to or is this an entirely different universe?

    Chaos is the law of nature, breeding life; Order is the dream of man, breeding habit.”
    Chaos is rejecting all you have learned; Chaos is being yourself.”
    "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty. "
    User avatar
    SeryfEl
     
    Posts: 87
    Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14 pm
    Location: Hemlock Grove

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:32 am

  • SeryfEl wrote:What are the realms a remnant of? Just one world? All worlds that were somehow affected by the Schism? Is Earth theoretically a realm one could venture to or is this an entirely different universe?

    Was wondering this myself. I'm not sure If realms are pieces that remain from a shattered earth or the universe. Can realms have a sun (stars or moons) for plants to grow or is light and energy in the void derived from magical sources?

    Dekronos wrote:I was thinking more long term, like what does magic do to you over decades of regular use. I'm a firmly in the "everything has a cost" camp when it comes to the supernatural. Without limits/costs wizards can do anything at almost any time; it is why magic is the ultimate deus ex machina of fantasy, and "a wizard did it" is the standard explanation for story/setting inconsistencies and retcons.

    I'm going for an "Chaos hidden within Order" theme for my realm and for its ruler the archetype of the desperate crone who will reclaim/retain her beauty at all costs. And by using what all/most wizards will have to deal with due to prolonged magic use to make them both tragic and have that "only but for the grace of god go I" vibe

    I was thinking of something similar. I choose to have the amount of time the person lived to be the cause of the insanity rather then the magic itself. A "if you stare in to the abyss, the abyss stares back" type vibe.

    Does magic have any laws it adheres too?
    Psylum
     
    Posts: 88
    Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:45 am

  • Apologies for the delay in reply. Been a bit of a tough week here.

    SeryfEl wrote:How does that tie in with the Social system where post-backers can lose their status as God?


    That's not a question for me I'm afraid, but I expect it'll be discussed fairly soon.

    SeryfEl wrote:Also, I have a lore question:

    What are the realms a remnant of? Just one world? All worlds that were somehow affected by the Schism? Is Earth theoretically a realm one could venture to or is this an entirely different universe?


    Chaos Reborn is an alternate future of our world. Earth's history is roughly the same, but with wizards and other creatures, up until the 14th century and then by the end of the 14th century, the world is shattered. This story will be detailed in my forthcoming book(s).

    Psylum wrote:Was wondering this myself. I'm not sure If realms are pieces that remain from a shattered earth or the universe. Can realms have a sun (stars or moons) for plants to grow or is light and energy in the void derived from magical sources?


    There is no sun or moon. This is explained in the introduction video. The stars exist, but cannot be seen in the sky from Limbo. Light comes from the vortex which surrounds Limbo and around which the Fractured Worlds orbit.

    Dekronos wrote:I was thinking more long term, like what does magic do to you over decades of regular use. I'm a firmly in the "everything has a cost" camp when it comes to the supernatural. Without limits/costs wizards can do anything at almost any time; it is why magic is the ultimate deus ex machina of fantasy, and "a wizard did it" is the standard explanation for story/setting inconsistencies and retcons.


    I'm also a believer of cost, but not of singular cost. There is some indication of the restrictions of magic and its use in Journal of the Gifted One and you'll see more details on this emerging as we discuss and publish the physiology of the wizard and the alchemist.

    Psylum wrote:Does magic have any laws it adheres too?


    Yes it does. There's a complete explanation of its pre-schism mechanics in the Death of Gods (the prequel story) which I will post more news on as soon as I can. Post-schism these rules have changed somewhat, but we'll have sections up for you on the website in the next couple of weeks. Its all written, just needs a quick read through and tweak.
    User avatar
    AllenStroud
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:28 pm

  • Okay, the first section of lore to be put on the website is now drafted and with Julian and Snapshot for approval. Its also on the Gods forum, for folk their to take a look.
    User avatar
    AllenStroud
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:20 pm

  • Could you cross-post to the Pantheon please?
    User avatar
    Xarrion
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm
    Location: Coventry, UK

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:48 pm

  • Xarrion wrote:Could you cross-post to the Pantheon please?

    Would be simpler to have a mod move the thread to the Pantheon forum in order not to lose commentary if the Pantheon is also found an appropriate forum for critique/review.
    ________________________________

    User avatar
    NoWorries
    GOD
     
    Posts: 4768
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
    Location: baldrlux.com

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:24 pm

  • Xarrion wrote:Could you cross-post to the Pantheon please?


    I will do tomorrow. Some of the current commentary may take a moment or two to address and I'd like a bit of time to examine the thoughts.

    NoWorries wrote:
    Xarrion wrote:Could you cross-post to the Pantheon please?

    Would be simpler to have a mod move the thread to the Pantheon forum in order not to lose commentary if the Pantheon is also found an appropriate forum for critique/review.


    Its okay, I can have two conversations and I'm happy to. I'm also running the document by other key people outside of the forum as well (Snapshot, Chris Jarvis, etc).
    User avatar
    AllenStroud
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:07 pm

  • Awesome, thanks :D
    User avatar
    Xarrion
    DEMIGOD
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm
    Location: Coventry, UK

PreviousNext


Return to Realm Design




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest