Chaos Reborn Lore Discussion 101

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 am

• AllenStroud wrote:There is no sun or moon. This is explained in the introduction video. The stars exist, but cannot be seen in the sky from Limbo. Light comes from the vortex which surrounds Limbo and around which the Fractured Worlds orbit.

You refer to mornings, days and turns in your story.
    With no day/night cycle how is a day and turn measured? Should our NPC's mainly use "turns" to reference time?

When is morning... Just an example of the problem I'm having avoiding terms that imply orbiting a sun/star.
    Psylum

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:03 pm

• Generally turns is the reference. The Order of the Star (The organisation in the Journal of the Gifted One) do measure time in days and there are some fluctuations in illumination that may account for this, but these can be imprecise. However, when living in the towers, the outside world is rarely visited by some and the artificers do produce elaborate clocks that still divide time periods in this way.

Outside of Limbo, time can be measured in other ways depending on the location of the vortex and the realm's rotation in relation with this. Your realm's people may measure time in ways local to them, so its worth using the terms mentioned elsewhere and then building up your own ideas.
    AllenStroud

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:48 am

• So i didn't ask this before so in the realm i made i addressed the whole thing as a completely hypothetical proposition (one group using a doctrine of a hypothetical metaphysical implication to pander to and control another group i.e a cult)

Beyond the outer realms and limbo is their some sort of metaphysical plain of sorts? i suppose as most spiritual groups believe in some sort of heaven/4th-5th-6th...ascension/enlightenment that gives meaning to an otherwise futile existence?

other words the whole "what exists beyond existence?" dilemma

just wondering if there were some keywords to refer to in regards to metaphysics of chaos...hehehe, if any of this makes any sense and fits within the scope of the lore.
    anjovi

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:20 am

• Just a couple of very small questions I was wondering about:

In relative terms, how big can the average realm be? What defines its border, is it thick fog, unstable magic etc. Do people have an incentive to stay away from the realm's 'edge'?

What exactly is the void sea?
    Viking34

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 pm

• anjovi wrote:So i didn't ask this before so in the realm i made i addressed the whole thing as a completely hypothetical proposition (one group using a doctrine of a hypothetical metaphysical implication to pander to and control another group i.e a cult)

Beyond the outer realms and limbo is their some sort of metaphysical plain of sorts? i suppose as most spiritual groups believe in some sort of heaven/4th-5th-6th...ascension/enlightenment that gives meaning to an otherwise futile existence?

other words the whole "what exists beyond existence?" dilemma

just wondering if there were some keywords to refer to in regards to metaphysics of chaos...hehehe, if any of this makes any sense and fits within the scope of the lore.

Yes it makes sense. We have the concept of the Reverie. I'll be expanding the information related to this soon. There are some theological positions people have about what might be in the deep.

Of course, what individual populations in a fractured realm believe might be stimulated by anything and could be wholly incorrect. I tend to find slewed views and red herring mythology very interesting.

Viking34 wrote:Just a couple of very small questions I was wondering about:

In relative terms, how big can the average realm be? What defines its border, is it thick fog, unstable magic etc. Do people have an incentive to stay away from the realm's 'edge'?

What exactly is the void sea?

The realm is defined by the amount of physical material and mana a Wizard King had to work with. The rules related to the edges of realms might be determined by the Wizard. Certainly other physics such as a semblance of gravity would be determined by the wizard's artifice. This allows for more unusually shaped worlds.
    Last edited by AllenStroud on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    AllenStroud

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 am

• suppose another quick one: are there any outcast/solo/secluded alchemists that have access to portals in their own little secret bases of operations? basically just looking for contexts for realm access other then their main base of operations.
    anjovi

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:50 pm

• anjovi wrote:suppose another quick one: are there any outcast/solo/secluded alchemists that have access to portals in their own little secret bases of operations? basically just looking for contexts for realm access other then their main base of operations.

I expect so. I can see this would be a good idea for a story and would want to encourage this. As long as the idea doesn't get too out of hand.
    AllenStroud

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 pm

• AllenStroud wrote:Generally turns is the reference. The Order of the Star (The organisation in the Journal of the Gifted One) do measure time in days and there are some fluctuations in illumination that may account for this, but these can be imprecise. However, when living in the towers, the outside world is rarely visited by some and the artificers do produce elaborate clocks that still divide time periods in this way.

Outside of Limbo, time can be measured in other ways depending on the location of the vortex and the realm's rotation in relation with this. Your realm's people may measure time in ways local to them, so its worth using the terms mentioned elsewhere and then building up your own ideas.

Imho I think we need a wiki if we are to remotely moderate effectively.

Anyhow, I can light the vortex and also any magical properties a Realm may hold, and/or light reflected off the debris of the void sea create a day/night cycle of sorts, especially if one Realm is in 'the shadow' of another? And perhaps, fluctuations in the Vortex can create changes to the weather, pushing up temperatures or bathing a Realm in light, almost blinding anyone who looks skyward?

Thanks,
    Farious

edit: edited to make sense :)
    Last edited by Farious on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Choose FREEDOM! Choose the ANARCHY WOLVES Chaos Reborn guild! Click here!
    Discord & Forum Moderator, Realm Moderator, & Wiki Admin.
    PM me to ask Realm Design questions or for help.

#ChaosReborn:
    DISCORD | Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:18 am

• In general just how aware are wizards of their magical bloodlines. Because after looking at the origins of the alchemists in the Wizards, I'm getting a serious inspiration for potential story thread for a Wizard who's using the principle of eugenics to literally breed himself an army of fanatically loyal wizards and alchemists in his own realm to obtain godhood and have the manpower and mojo to take over other realms and limbo itself (hence the alchemists)

Think North Korea with an enforced eugenics program, while everyone fanaticaly worships the king, but they are all little more the breeding stock and glorified slaves. Those with lots of "positive" traits are given more power and breeding partners/rights (most powerful become lords), while those with too many/strong "negative" traits are sterilized or euthanized.

While it is true that 12 th century Europe did not know genetics they did know about hereditary traits and attempted to instill these in the next generation of crops and livestock. Look at the carrot for an example; it was originally purple! Danish farmers who wanted to honor the House of Orange (Denmark's ruling house ) took carrots with a rare mutation that made them orange instead of purple and carfully bred them to grow a large crop of these odd orange carrots to send to thier lords. They proved to be popular and their novelty was shared with other nations' rulers. This led to increased demand and thus the modern carrot was born. Horse breeding also had its start in the late dark ages.

My point is they may not know the "wizard" gene, but if they know it may be hereditary, it can be focus of breeding experiments.
    Dekronos

PreviousNext

Return to Realm Design

Information