Realm Feedback: Arenji's Curse

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:56 am

• For those into realms with story, I've just released my second realm, "Arenji's Curse" which loosely follows on from "The Quest Begins".

The story is focussed on a dwarf, Carandorf, whose father Lord Carangresh was a dwarven hero of the realm until he was subverted and corrupted by Arenji. Carangresh now serves as wizard lord of the city of Hellesveor. When you meet him, Carandorf has high hopes that you will be the one who can lift the curse under which his father is controlled, without killing him. Your own goal, on the other hand, is more directed to capturing the whole realm from Arenji and installing yourself as king. Perhaps you can work together? Carandorf has many connections among the lawful villages of the land, after all.

In this realm I've had to make the map rather linear and remove the potential to leap past certain critical story events. This does reduce 'exploration' opportunities, but many of the battles are optional, and there are a few ruins which give the opportunity to make a bit of coin if you're a shopping addict. At level 3 I'm hoping the strategy side is challenging for beginners but mostly I want people to be able to enjoy the story side of things. Of course it's not easy at the moment to give any sense of choice when it comes to the path you take.

Some of you may recognise the map from my Early Access realm, 'Accursed Arenji'. I've reduced the number of wizard towers so that poverty-stricken wizards don't have to spend their gold travelling. So the map has changed a little, especially in the south. Anyway, writing all these encounters does start to get tiring after a while, so hopefully it's worthwhile for you.

Eventually I'll resurrect my third realm from Early Access - "Shadows of Cornwall" and create a more interesting story for that one, which will become the third in a trilogy of battles against Arenji. After that I think I'll switch to a different name for my antagonists and work on a different story altogether.
    Tess
    GOD

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:41 pm

• I thought the story was great. I didn't have any problems with time but I didn't get to one section connected by a town. With multiple towns I could always find a merc. I think the layout is a little tricky for lv 3 and you have a lot of wizard lords to fight. I didn't die but I can see some deaths might be time consuming because you cant re-spawn on guarded towers. I though the first guarded tower may have been better on the city instead because if I die there I think it would spawn me across the river passed the fight. This would also give some money and reputation to spend in those shops. The encounter near buy gives some good option to start you off. I could see a new player running out of money and not being able to travel anymore but that might teach them to budget as well. The encounter options, rewards and story where very well done.
    Psylum

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

• It's a good point that in removing some of the (many) towers that were in the original map, I've actually made it harder if you die because you're likely to respawn some distance away, especially on the central island. You save money, but if you die it's more painful. Something to think about.

Level 3 realms are actually full strength as far as the AI is concerned. So they're definitely not beginner realms.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
    Tess
    GOD

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:27 pm

• By the way, after spending the week since launch and all my spare gold on attempts to locate a Chaos Shift talisman, I finally found it in my own realm - and in two different cities!

So now, at level 27, I finally have the loadout I used in Early Access. I no longer have any need to play realms for gold so I guess I'll go back to playing them for the high score and for the fun of co-op with others.

Still would like to see more wizards in the mix though, obviously.
    Tess
    GOD

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 pm

• Tess wrote:By the way, after spending the week since launch and all my spare gold on attempts to locate a Chaos Shift talisman, I finally found it in my own realm - and in two different cities!

Ha! So you found it then, I found one last night in a different realm (Gordias and Cybele), was about to give you the headsup.
    Mazy

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 pm

• Mazy wrote:
    Tess wrote:By the way, after spending the week since launch and all my spare gold on attempts to locate a Chaos Shift talisman, I finally found it in my own realm - and in two different cities!

Ha! So you found it then, I found one last night in a different realm (Gordias and Cybele), was about to give you the headsup.

Yeah, I think I found Law Shift about 8 times. I was beginning to think there was some kind of freemasonry going on!
    Tess
    GOD

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:21 pm

• I've only got as far as the first encounter so far, but it is delightful:)
    I'll report back when I'm done:)
    RafiRomero

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am

• Just finished my current realm so will be diving in to yours next! :)
    Farious

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 am

• I'd just like to extend my compliments to you for your realms. I managed to complete the first one on the second attempt (Lost all reinforcements to a marauder the first play through, then just couldn't win the final battle on my own). I'm now on your second realm and it is very good so far. A good nod to LOTR on one of the encounters I just resolved! :D
    Myrrlin

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information