Realm Feedback: Arenji's Curse

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:01 pm

• Myrrlin wrote:I'd just like to extend my compliments to you for your realms. I managed to complete the first one on the second attempt (Lost all reinforcements to a marauder the first play through, then just couldn't win the final battle on my own). I'm now on your second realm and it is very good so far. A good nod to LOTR on one of the encounters I just resolved! :D

Hey Myrrlin - thanks very much indeed! Much appreciated.

And yes, what are Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron if not refugee wizards from Limbo fighting for control of a realm?

Welcome to the forums Myrrlin. Great to have you.
    Tess
    GOD

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:19 pm

• Welcome to the forums Myrrlin. Great to have you.

Thank you. I have been here a while (since the beginning actually - I'm a Kickstarter Wizard King), I used to be called Thanatos but decided to change my name on the forums to match the one I now use inside the game. I never have posted much, but I do read it a lot.

The first realm I made was a bit basic, I didn't really put much narrative in, but I'm hoping my next one will be much better.
    Myrrlin

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:10 pm

• I feel like I should rate this 5 stars before I even finish it for the use of "arcane eyebrow" in encounter text <3.

Edit: I just lost a battle because I devoted all of my resources to keeping the sycophantic dwarf alive - he's like the companion cube:D Having thrown *everything* into keeping the poor guy alive, I finally lost him to a manticore strike. NOOOOO! I cried, burned half my deck and flew in that turn on my magic wings to megabolt my opponent and all his lackeys, who, of course, survived, ran up a tree and bolted me right back again.
    RafiRomero

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 pm

• That made me chuckle too. Then I met a Wizard Lord named RafiRomero who sent me scuttling back to Limbo... Twice
    Myrrlin

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 pm

• RafiRomero wrote:"arcane eyebrow"

It's nice to be appreciated :D

I wish I could offer extra points for saving Carandorf till he reaches Hellesveor at least. Maybe one day we'll have the scripting to do that.

Also MattyRasker managed to 'kill' Lord Carangresh using a vampire leech which of course fitted the story perfectly. If only the story could acknowledge it!
    Tess
    GOD

Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:22 am

• Tess wrote:I wish I could offer extra points for saving Carandorf till he reaches Hellesveor at least.

Tess wrote:Also MattyRasker managed to 'kill' Lord Carangresh using a vampire leech which of course fitted the story perfectly. If only the story could acknowledge it!

Both of these would be amazing.

Tess, I did enjoy your realm, although I still would advocate for more writing and events. A couple of other comments:

1. MANY of the (player) wizards I encountered were holding Romero and were undead. Very difficult. There is no way I would have finished the realm if I hadn't been lucky enough to get two hydras in the Mines of Moria. Mind you, I use a Law Staff and do not rely on undead myself. Thank goodness for my Divine Sword megaspell!

2. I'm not quite sure what you meant by the "sea route" or the "land route." I went straight east to the pirates' cove city, then took a boat to the town where Carandorf's father was sitting. I defeated him, and then encountered the event that was supposed to precede that battle.

3. I really enjoyed the way you used the town text to give flavor and tips! I especially liked the one that indicated Arenji's palace was to the northeast and suggested using lift fog.

As a realm aficionado, could you recommend other realms that have lots of custom events?

Thanks for writing these! I look forward to your next realm! I think I'll write my second one in the next couple of weeks.
    Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.
    Sephorin
    GOD

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:47 am

• Sephorin wrote:Tess, I did enjoy your realm, although I still would advocate for more writing and events. A couple of other comments:

There were actually 12 encounters in this one compared to 6 in my first realm. However I noticed from watching MattyRasker play that he missed at least half of them (basically everything that wasn't enforced by the map). Also some of the story was given in the town descriptions which often players don't read.

1. MANY of the (player) wizards I encountered were holding Romero and were undead. Very difficult.

Quite true, and very frustrating! There was absolutely nothing I could do about this as the talismans are random. I think the only solution is to give everyone arcane robes as I think maybe they're the only robes that don't have a slot for the transmutation talisman? Could be wrong there.

2. I'm not quite sure what you meant by the "sea route" or the "land route." I went straight east to the pirates' cove city, then took a boat to the town where Carandorf's father was sitting. I defeated him, and then encountered the event that was supposed to precede that battle.

Good point - it didn't occur to me that anyone would do that. I should have removed the alternate route in order to enforce story cohesion. My intention was that people would find Carangresh, then choose whether to take the sea or land route to the pirate cove. The land route is longer but has a ruin battle and an encounter that has good potential rewards.

3. I really enjoyed the way you used the town text to give flavor and tips! I especially liked the one that indicated Arenji's palace was to the northeast and suggested using lift fog.

You found the hermit then? Watching MattyRasker was frustrating at this point because he stopped one space short of meeting the hermit and didn't check the rumour, so missed that part completely.

As a realm aficionado, could you recommend other realms that have lots of custom events?

There might be some in the higher level realms. I'm working through them in level order at the moment. I haven't really found any that make extensive use of custom encounters and/or have a cohesive story, at least not beyond yours and NoWorries' and Julian's. I'd also be happy to hear from anyone who's found one. There are some realms that use custom encounters but they tend to be rather terse and standalone - and often feel more like a choice of rewards rather than a story, especially since most people seem to make the potential outcomes visible.

Thanks for writing these! I look forward to your next realm! I think I'll write my second one in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks! It's very satisfying to see people enjoying my realms - it is essentially the same as writing stories and enjoying others' pleasure in reading them.
    Tess
    GOD

Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:35 pm

• Completed it today, great stuff, loved everything about it and can't think of a fault really. #TopMarks
    Farious

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:23 pm

• 5 stars, very enjoyable writing.
    When I'm recommending realms to people, I recommend my own ( ;) ), your realms, and Goblins and Gravelings.
    I found the palace battle a bit of a cakewalk (dragon cave and spiders nest within reinforcement range), but that's fine in a level 3 realm, I think.
    It did take me two attempts! I lost too much time the first time around trying to keep Carandorf alive:D Second time around I kept him well out of trouble.
    I don't think I'd've wanted any more fighting (so, was about right for me); I guess actually I didn't mind the first time around, but the second time I just wanted to get to the palace and win:).
    The encounters and story are what make the realm enjoyable for me, good job! :)
    RafiRomero

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:55 am

• Allow me to join in the praising of this very well done realm. I tried to explore everything I could (as I usually do) and therefore I did not at all mind the relative linear pace of the realm. On the contrary, for me it helped with the immersion.

Loved the LOTR reference, and although the game was challenging, there were very nice rewards to be held with the right decisions here and there, which really got me engaged. Mostly the challenge came from all the undead wizards, but as a Necromancer myself, I enjoyed bit of the roleplay of putting the competition down. While on the subject of roleplay, I actually also killed the dwarves father with vampires, and "admitted" that to him later on. Even the last battle against the ruler was quite epic, as I was completely overrun and cowering behind a wall of tanglewine with Carandorf on my side and preparing for the "battle to the last breath". Eventually I barely got into the right position to megabolt my enemy while my little dwarven friend was holding the breach. Epicness, pure Epicness.

Looking forward to your upcoming work. :)
    The "Mage of Voices"

The "Soul Master"

The "Hopeless Necromantic"
    Asdreus

PreviousNext

Return to Realm Design

Information