Realm Feedback: Talismanic

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Bigtrac

Realm Feedback: Talismanic

Post by Bigtrac » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi all

I submitted my first realm, Talismanic about a week ago and I would like to know people's thoughts if anyone has completed it.

It is loosely based around the Talisman boardgame, for those that are aware of it, and hopefully I've recreated some of the atmosphere with the custom events. (It wasn't always possible to do exactly what I wanted. I'd have liked some werewolves in the centre and impassable mountains, and some sort of Crown item maybe). I playtested it, but in retrospect am worried that it is lopsided and doesn't make people traverse the 'board'. But I didn't want people to have to go back and forth too much, and was hoping it would keep things more straightforward in terms of progress to reaching the palace.

I was also wondering how long it takes before your realm is rated? Does it take a certain number of people to play it first?

Thanks

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Realm Feedback: Talismanic

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:49 pm

haha great minds! This was one realm idea that I had had too. I'll build something else now, and I'll certainly have a try at yours. :-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I have added it to my list :)

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

Psylum

Post by Psylum » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:07 am

I played your realm when it first came out and my memory is a little fuzzy in some areas. As a player I didn't like the outer ring because I don't have any options it's just fallow the line. I understood going in that it was modeled after the board game(which I love) so I did expect it and as a realm creator, single paths make for easier encounter placements. I enjoyed the second area much more and could see the mountains directing me like the board game. I did cross the mountains to save time. Making the outer area larger/thicker and the inner area smaller may improve my player exploration experience at the expense of the board game theme. The only thing I was unsure if intended was the vampire village being able to reach the palace. Maybe hiding the results for some encounters too but I can't really remember that well. I thought it was a good realm and found clearing the fog in the inner area very useful.Thank you for the nostalgia.

Bigtrac

Post by Bigtrac » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks Jim

Spite, you could always do yours too. No harm in getting a different take on it. Or improve on mistakes I've made.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Bigtrac wrote: Spite, you could always do yours too. No harm in getting a different take on it. Or improve on mistakes I've made.
I may at the very least make up a rough design, I wonder if we'd be approaching it the same way.

(this is where being able to collaborate on realm design would be a cool thing).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Bigtrac

Post by Bigtrac » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:02 am

Psylum wrote:I played your realm when it first came out and my memory is a little fuzzy in some areas. As a player I didn't like the outer ring because I don't have any options it's just fallow the line. I understood going in that it was modeled after the board game(which I love) so I did expect it and as a realm creator, single paths make for easier encounter placements. I enjoyed the second area much more and could see the mountains directing me like the board game. I did cross the mountains to save time. Making the outer area larger/thicker and the inner area smaller may improve my player exploration experience at the expense of the board game theme. The only thing I was unsure if intended was the vampire village being able to reach the palace. Maybe hiding the results for some encounters too but I can't really remember that well. I thought it was a good realm and found clearing the fog in the inner area very useful.Thank you for the nostalgia.
Thanks for the input Psylum. The vampire village was added as flavour from the boardgame where there were vampires on one path and werewolves on another. But they probably shouldn't be helping you with the palace/crown, so it may have been a mistake. I may release a revised version in future.