my problems with realms

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:07 am

• Hey gang, so I've been getting the nagging feeling that "chaos reborn...realms mode...there's a really great game in their that is just screaming to be let out" though the little gate keeper or cock block to all of that goodness that i'm finding are:

1) The user creation aspect: The lack of a reliable way to find some quality realms to spend time with really dampens the experience. The ability to load up a realm that opens up to bad writing/level design is a huge turn off and should be limited at all costs (kind of dramatic..lol). This could either take the form of being able to better identify/filter better realms from the bad OR policing/limiting what creators are able to do to result in more consistent realms cropping up...i'm under the impression the former is more realistic.
    The star rating system sounds good on paper but ultimately ends up being at the mercy of ass kissers, haters and trolls.

On websites regarding art/music/etc. This usually results in the star system being irrelevant and reverts the user back to completely ignoring the 'stars' and digging for the gold. On sites for musicians/artists this isn't as big of a deal because you have the brand/marketing/fanbase of said person to ensure higher ratings and exposure but in context to the game I think (particularly in these stages while the content amount is relatively small) that you should find a way to stamp the "snap shot seal of approval" on them. This could take a bit of effort but with someone who had access to tools to quicken the process of reviewing realms this could be relatively painless.

2) I could be completely wrong about this and i think the snapshot offline realms will make this clear but I feel that the game mechanics ultimately don't come together to make a game. The battles are great! don't get me wrong but in relations to realms mode i might as well consider them a good game that's tacked on to a not so good game.

What i find currently is that you have a bunch of pieces that don't really click and come together and that the encounters (user created writing), grindy aspects (loot/exp) and coop/pvp are what ultimately keeps players coming back. It feels like theres some kind of missing piece to make the exploration/banishment/citadel/manaflux/mana spells/reinforcements/kudos click and thus form a complete game.

The only thing i can think of is making the villagers/mercs have more of an impact on the game somehow as these are the only pieces that really persist throughout the realms layer and the battle layer. This can come in the form of requiring units to fulfill an objective, it can be challenges that stop you on the way to your objective and dwindle your army (thus making the objective i.e lord/king battles harder then would be otherwise). We've got ways in which the battle layer interacts with the realms (i.e win/lose = lose days/reinforcements/gold) but it ain't getting no love back.

----------------

Main inspiration for this post was the coverage given by matt lees in his podcast. I had the nagging feelings myself and the official reviews (pc gamer/ eurogamer/etc.) completely overlooking realms in there reviews didn't quite help. Though in the podcast i heard there critique on the realms rating system, which i felt validated my thoughts on that as well as a general overlooking of the actual gameplay (they played the tutorial and saw potential but didn't actually get into the game) so i'm just going to assume that realms hasn't really got any accolades.....could be rectified in my opinion and could really help in keeping players who do buy the game but get turned off of the pvp.

I find i'd be totally happy just playing realms if they were fine tuned into a solid game. It could be alot of work but potentially little....which could result in big gains vs effort. Just thought i'd pass it by you guys.
    anjovi

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm

• I agree with everything here. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the solutions are. Certainly I'd like the encounter system in Realms to be improved to allow the story (if any) to branch and persist (eg with named mercs triggering events, or event choices activating or deactivating other events).

At the moment I've no sense from Snapshot or Julian whether these are being worked on, or even if there is any chance of ever seeing them. Some of the things Julian as said seemed to imply he thought these were good ideas, and in coding terms they strike me as being very easy to achieve (a few hours of coding) and an obvious 'quick win' for those who create story-based realms. However when Julian asked our opinion of what improvements he should make to Realms next, he didn't even offer improved encounters as an option, though almost everyone in the thread said they wanted it. So I've no clue what's coming, and I feel a bit sad about that. Poor communication again imo.

I'm personally holding off creating any more realms in the hope of an improved encounter system, especially one that allows battle results to trigger or activate events (and events to trigger battles, other events etc).
    Tess
    GOD

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:53 pm

• I won't bother with realm creation at all until both the editor and the entire fundamental mechanics of Realms have received significant improvements. I'm frankly surprised that the game has been seeing such a strong overall reception in recent press releases, which definitely speaks in favour of the brilliant combat system, but it is also extremely obvious that the borderline offensive shallowness of Realms mode had been very generously ignored by the reviewers, considering how e.g Armello had been quite brutally thrashed for exactly the same flaws.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 pm

• The realm moderation system will be introduced in the next update, and realms which don't meet the standards will be removed.
    The encounters system will indeed be getting an overhaul. More info will follow shortly.
    Julian Gollop
    Site Admin

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:37 pm

• I've decided to ignore the star system and are just doing the realms in order as it seems to me the only way to get a 4 star+ rating currently is to: have the percentages shown on encounters; give away lots of gold; & have the palace surrounded by elf villages and hydra nests to guarantee and easy victory. I don't really feel sorry for my realms, but there are others that are really good and people have really put effort in to languishing on 3 stars not because they aren't amazing but because they aren't easy. Well, that's my view atm anyway :)

Julian Gollop wrote:The encounters system will indeed be getting an overhaul. More info will follow shortly.

Amazing! Yipee! Thanks! :D
    Farious

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:44 pm

• Tess wrote:I certainly wish we could give separate rankings for
    Overall
    Story/Encounters
    Map Layout
    Difficulty

This is an excellent idea - although you somehow want to emphasise that "difficulty" should really be "how closely aligned to the advertised level did you find the difficulty?". Not sure how to condense that...
    Granthor

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:48 pm

• How difficult was the Realm compared to your expectations given the level?

- Easier than I expected
    - About right
    - Harder than I expected

Just a suggestion :)

Regards,

Jim
    The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72
    SlipperyJim

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:54 pm

• SlipperyJim wrote:How difficult was the Realm compared to your expectations given the level?

- Easier than I expected
    - About right
    - Harder than I expected

Regards,

Jim

Yup, that's it!
    Granthor

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

• Granthor wrote:
    SlipperyJim wrote:How difficult was the Realm compared to your expectations given the level?

- Easier than I expected
    - About right
    - Harder than I expected

Regards,

Jim

Yup, that's it!

Interesting idea, J think something like this could be usefull. However, it could be skewed if a lot of inexperienced players pick a Realm because its rating or popularity so :/
    Farious

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information