Share your advice for realm designers

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• I'm disappointed to say that after playing a few realms I have yet to rate one higher than 2 stars. So far my realm experience has been worse than during the days of Snapshot-only realms. Poorly designed realms can be detrimental to the games chances of success, so I thought why not start a thread where we can provide feedback and share tips on how to design a good realm, what to do and what to avoid. Here're a few of mine.

Make sure no one times out during the realms i.e. runs out of time to complete their run. There's nothing more frustrating than investing your time in a realm and then not being able to finish it. The timer should be generous. It should be about beating it as fast as possible for those who care about their realm score, for all others it should be possible, or even pretty much guaranteed, to complete the realm no matter how slowly you explore.

Make sure, there are plenty of well distributed wizard towers for resurrection. No one likes backtracking.

Have at least one village that can reinforce the palace, so that less skilled players can start the fight off with a bunch of mercenaries to help them through.

Don't make your realm too big. Too many, in fact all, of the realms I've played were a drag. Aim for small, but sweet, making the longest realm possible is no achievement at all.

Get creative about your events. Come up with some theme, exercise your writing, don't be afraid to borrow material from writers better than yourself, we aren't all great writers, accept your limitations and act accordingly.

Keep requisite travelling costs low. People want to buy items, not spend their gold to move around the map.

Get creative with your talisman choices. Some talismans aren't used by the AI to any good effect whatsoever. Others lead to increased challenge of winning, but not due to requiring more skilled play, instead only making your life more frustrating, Romero is a great example. If I were to design realms, I wouldn't give Romero to a single AI opponent. Make the fights fun with your talisman choices, make them so that skillful play is rewarded, don't just try to make them hard sacrificing the fun factor along the way.

I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say. Let's make the job of the guys who design realms easier and everyone's realm experience better for that.
    D00m

• At least one mana flux, one citadel, and the palace should one way or another be easy to find. My biggest gripe has been having to tile-hunt for one or more of these: timing out on a huge map because I had to tile-scan is no fun at all.
    I'd say if you are starting out, a fairly linear realm in terms of travel would be good: so if you follow the seaports/ towers without backtracking, you will discover everything you need. In my tutorial, one of the seaports sailed you past the palace (without docking), which was on another island.

Secondly, my personal preference is that I don't want to have to do too much fighting: if you defend *every* town, tower and choke point that is a lot of battles vs not much story/ exploration: I can play PvP or offline if I want just battles. The battles drag for me after a while, they're just getting in the way of my realm experience.

I like it if I can do useful things with villages: designing in choke points so that villagers can defend both an objective (e.g., flux) and their home village is nice. It is extra nice if you have to explore a bit to be sure the choke point is valid (e.g., blocks the *only* route to both objective and village). I've been trying to experiment with a requirement for daisy-chained villages: A defends X, B defends A's home village, I defend B's home village (etc), but I'm not sure it is really possible yet.

@D00m: in terms of good realms, I enjoyed both of Arenji's realms and also "Goblins and Gravelings". No dribbling around the map wondering what to do, and good writing.
    RafiRomero

• -Village placement: 2 types of valid village placement i find are

indefinate strategic location: these villages can be used to attack and defend a location. You'd place them in range of a particular building and make sure that they could defend a choke point so a marauder would have to fight through them as opposed to just taking the building or being able to raze your village.

temporary attack purpose: This could be a village that's valid for an attack but isn't for defending. This could be suitable depending on context. This would involve simply leaving the placement open so the marauder would be able to maneuver around your village.

-Use hire-able encounter mercs in events as an alternative to villager reinforcements. Sort of a work around for me but if your looking to add a relative challenge you could use less villages but emphasize recruited mercenaries that you have to really take care of from fight to fight. Though this approach is sort of hampered by the wizard's ability to cast damnation from across the map and kill them. Still can be used in certain contexts.

-Use wizard towers as checkpoints: So teleports act as a means of fast travel but there more useful to be implemented as a check point system. This could come in the form of using islands as checkpoints or having teleports in large islands (that don't connect to other towers)
    anjovi

• D00m wrote:IMake sure no one times out during the realms i.e. runs out of time to complete their run. There's nothing more frustrating than investing your time in a realm and then not being able to finish it.

+1 usually. If a player just flicks through encounter text without reading it and then gets lost looking for something they were told it's location of, then it's their fault :)

D00m wrote:Make sure, there are plenty of well distributed wizard towers for resurrection. No one likes backtracking.

+1. I have tried not to commit this sin, taking 30 days to retrace your steps because there was no wizard tower nearby is seriously annoying!

D00m wrote:Have at least one village that can reinforce the palace, so that less skilled players can start the fight off with a bunch of mercenaries to help them through.

On tutorial Realms then sure, but otherwise you should use your Mercs as the game has to be a challenge somewhere.

D00m wrote:Don't make your realm too big. Too many, in fact all, of the realms I've played were a drag. Aim for small, but sweet, making the longest realm possible is no achievement at all.

Disagree, my realms have large areas to explore with encounters in them but if you look at the rumours in the towns that give you the location of the Palace, Citadel, & Flux you will never need to explore the entire map unless you want to. So I think size doesn't matter, it's how things are placed and how the locations are pointed out.

D00m wrote:don't be afraid to borrow material from writers better than yourself

No, don't do that.

D00m wrote:Keep requisite travelling costs low. People want to buy items, not spend their gold to move around the map.

Sort of agree. Having lots of islands can be annoying, but it depends upon how much gold you can get from defeating Wizard Lords. Overall I think it's fine as it is and it's only been maps with endless Wizard Tower spam for no reason that have driven me nuts with travel costs.

D00m wrote:Get creative with your talisman choices. Some talismans aren't used by the AI to any good effect whatsoever. Others lead to increased challenge of winning, but not due to requiring more skilled play, instead only making your life more frustrating

That's coming in a future update. Currently we can only select the talismans of the Wizard King.

D00m wrote:I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say. Let's make the job of the guys who design realms easier and everyone's realm experience better for that.

I think, perhaps, a lot of the frustration might be overcome if when you clicked on a realm there was an info blurb written by the author such as, 'Explore the Realm of Mal. A large realm with lots to explore and encounters galore, but not many battles.' Or perhaps the star system could be more informative and give different ratings for for map size, encounters etc. I 'think' @Tess suggested this in another thread.
    Farious

• anjovi wrote:-Use wizard towers as checkpoints

+1 .I've always viewed them as check points so hopefully my placement is okay (runs and hides) :)
    Farious

Return to Realm Design

Information