drawing the line for lore friendliness stuff

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• Policing correct tabbing might be problematic. Might be simpler to have two categories: (1) Moderated, and (2) Un-moderated. The first would have all the standards we demand for official or quasi-official content, and the second would be un-regulated except when reported for abuse or somesuch. The first could feed in to the social RPG and competitive aspects of the game, and the second could be the equivalent of friendlies. The first could have the current increased costs for playing the realm more than once, while the second could be played repeatedly for no cost.

Thus, everyone could get/create what they want in some fashion.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• I like NW's suggestion here.

Regards,

Jim
    The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72
    SlipperyJim

• anjovi wrote:when submitting select whether your submitting for a lore friendly realm or a non lore friendly realm. The criteria for both of these types will be different and those who want to put the extra time in cross referencing lore with realms can do so. You'd still want to meet criteria like spell checking and non loot farm stuffs but it'd be generally more lax.

Yeah this kind of thing.
    Mazy

• NoWorries wrote:Policing correct tabbing might be problematic. Might be simpler to have two categories: (1) Moderated, and (2) Un-moderated. The first would have all the standards we demand for official or quasi-official content, and the second would be un-regulated except when reported for abuse or somesuch. The first could feed in to the social RPG and competitive aspects of the game, and the second could be the equivalent of friendlies. The first could have the current increased costs for playing the realm more than once, while the second could be played repeatedly for no cost.

Thus, everyone could get/create what they want in some fashion.

I'm not in favour of any kind of two tier system like this. It needlessly over complicates things and will potentially make the designers and explorers feel like 2nd class players just for wanting to do something different.

I think all realms should be moderated for things like spelling, grammar, inappropriate content and such like.

The only thing you need for quality control beyond that is the player feedback system which we already have.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:I think all that is needed when moderating realms in this respect is a tagging system whereby a realm can be marked as either official content, a realm that fits with lore, or a realm that doesn't.

Seems Spite and NW are close to agreement here... If realms are currently being rejected for being non-lore then i'd be surprised if tagging and allowing them through was a significant additional effort (the decision is already being made) - and i think that moderation pre-release is, on balance, more desirable. Give the moderators the freedom to decide whether a realm is abusive (in whatever sense; content or game systems) and if not, please let it in.

I do however see no real reason that non-lore realms should be excluded from the meta-game (when it arrives) an enjoyable experience should be the main criterion, and the same rewards should be available to the creator.

Edit: maybe not that close.
    ahMostyn

• ahMostyn wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:I do however see no real reason that non-lore realms should be excluded from the meta-game (when it arrives) an enjoyable experience should be the main criterion, and the same rewards should be available to the creator.

Edit: maybe not that close.

Imho the simplest thing to do would be to have all the Realms in a single list with a marker to say Lore or Non-Lore with restrictions on what a player can take back to Limbo from Non-lore realms. Imho all Realms need to go through some sort of moderation, which everyone seems to accept.

With regard to trivia, I did enjoy the Realm after the initial shock of finding it in a fantasy game and I think it should be there somewhere, but equally, some people may find it irritating if all they want is a fantasy world experience (I hope that is fair).

Anyway, hopefully the guys at Snapshot can sort something out.
    Farious

• Farious wrote:With regard to trivia, I did enjoy the Realm after the initial shock of finding it in a fantasy game and I think it should be there somewhere, but equally, some people may find it irritating if all they want is a fantasy world experience (I hope that is fair).

It's more than fair, I expected it to be a Marmite experience for players when I designed it. But I preferred to create something like that over a realm which wouldn't stand out. Again though, player feedback as an average should be the measure of the quality of a realm. If a realm designer decides to gamble in that respect by making something different then that should be a part of the meta game as well.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Farious wrote:Imho the simplest thing to do would be to have all the Realms in a single list with a marker to say Lore or Non-Lore with restrictions on what a player can take back to Limbo from Non-lore realms.

Sorry, but if the aim is to get people designing realms, then making restrictions in x, y or z way on what a realm can do is not going to achieve that aim for me.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Allowing unfettered mixing of lore-oriented and anti-lore Realms debases the lore-orientation of realms. Rewarding players with social RPG rewards for wholly non-RPG content creation eliminates a primary incentive to build upon the lore and instead rewards players who ignore it and re-rewrite it. The Demigods and Gods of the game should be those players who reinforce the lore-based vision created by Snapshot rather than players who would wholly ignore it or even sabotage it.

I understand that this is a fundamental difference of opinion between players who could care less about anything RPG-related and those (like me) who are RPG aficionados. So be it. Snapshot will decide. I hope that they decide not to undermine the interesting, flexible lore that has already been established and can, quite easily, be built upon.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:Allowing unfettered mixing of lore-oriented and anti-lore Realms debases the lore-orientation of realms. Rewarding players with social RPG rewards for wholly non-RPG content creation eliminates a primary incentive to build upon the lore and instead rewards players who ignore it and re-rewrite it. The Demigods and Gods of the game should be those players who reinforce the lore-based vision created by Snapshot rather than players who would wholly ignore it or even sabotage it.

What if all types of realms are allowed, but only the ones that follow the lore (and are therefore marked as 'official', following the other ideas in the thread) will affect social ascension? I think I'd still create and play both types of realms if that was the case.
    Viking34

PreviousNext

Return to Realm Design

Information