Realm Designers! New encounters features on the way

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

Re: Realm Designers! New encounters features on the way

Post by anjovi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

i don't really see a problem with that at all tess! i mean everyone's going to be subject to the same scoring system anyways so i don't see how this would imbalance things. I guess for folks to utilize it it'd be a matter of keeping in mind how the other elements of the game are scored so they can provide a relative reward for each encounter.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Tess wrote:We can already penalise players in terms of them losing days or reputation. Why not allow us to increase or decrease their score as well? In many ways this makes more thematic sense than giving bonus kudos. (It could potentially replace the ability to directly give players xp, which has always seemed a bit arbitrary to me.)
I like this idea alot, especially with regard to replacing XP awards with it. A Realm Score matters only in relationship to other players who have completed the same realm, but "XP" goes with players wherever they go. Opening up Realm Score awards (and penalties) and removing XP awards in encounters really seems to be the way to go. Again, great idea, Tess!

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:03 pm

I agree. Players should be encouraged to explore each realm thoroughly, not try to "get it over with" as fast as possible. On the other hand, there should be something to dissuade people from just sitting by each village pressing "end turn" until they're up to capacity before continuing to explore.

Also, and as mentioned in another thread, it would be nice to drop the feature whereby you lose your previous score if you replay a realm. That just makes it unlikely for someone who got a nice score in a realm to ever revisit it, since they will fear dropping down the ranks. Ideally there would be something like Steam achievements in every realm, encouraging people to play them (maybe multiple times) until they saw everything they had to offer.

By the way, when do we get snow arenas? It's almost winter, after all... ;)
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Kahangriel wrote:I agree. Players should be encouraged to explore each realm thoroughly, not try to "get it over with" as fast as possible. On the other hand, there should be something to dissuade people from just sitting by each village pressing "end turn" until they're up to capacity before continuing to explore.

Also, and as mentioned in another thread, it would be nice to drop the feature whereby you lose your previous score if you replay a realm. That just makes it unlikely for someone who got a nice score in a realm to ever revisit it, since they will fear dropping down the ranks. Ideally there would be something like Steam achievements in every realm, encouraging people to play them (maybe multiple times) until they saw everything they had to offer.

By the way, when do we get snow arenas? It's almost winter, after all... ;)
i agree with this. I feel the ncreasing cost to re-enter is enough of a penalty, if the player is able to top there score it should just update it to that one.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

I couldn't see it written down anywere so i figured i'd also suggest.

That certain events that are activated not be revealed right away. It'd be cool for an event that's activated to be subtly hinted at or even available as a rumor after being activated at times.

Say you kill decide to kill a wizard after defeating him and it turns out the wizard was in good standings with some goblins who then start rampaging in a region and the nearby town gets that as a rumor. rough example but whatever...lol!

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Yeah I get what you mean Anjovi, that could work.

Another mechanic that is good for encounters that I think also might improve the system is to have 'greyed-out' options on the list of outcomes.

For example, if you have an elf in your party and you hit an encounter that offers 2 solutions neither of which is entirely satisfactory there might be a third more useful outcome that is unlocked by the presence of your elf. Options that are dependant on what staff/gear you have available to you, Or dependant on what mercs/villagers you have with you. If you meet the right criteria the greyed-out option would become available.

Examples: The revealed bonus option may say something along the lines of 'Allow your elf ally to interpret/intervene/defuse the situation/handle the problem' etc, or 'Use your megabolt staff to aid the villagers/swiftly put down the rebellion'. (Whatever is applicable)....

Maybe you pick up flying mercs for free on your travels simply for choosing to wield an Air staff, eagles and mantis (that would usually be hidden) seek you out and offer their assistance because you chose to be a flight wizard, that's your domain, they are your minions. Basically an increased chance of drawing a creature linked to your staff type during the map phase, the same as the card draw mechanic during battles.

Say you have undead staff equipped during an encounter with some hydras there might be two bad outcomes where you are literally choosing the least impactful loss but the presence of your undead staff unlocks the third option to 'Use your powers of summoning undead to keep the hydras at bay' and escape without losses.

I guess the use of greyed-out options in many RPG's is to show you what you could have done if you had made different decisions along the way and think more about what might be helpful in later encounters, perhaps based on info that is subtly fed to you.

Farious

Post by Farious » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 pm

anjovi wrote:I couldn't see it written down anywere so i figured i'd also suggest.

That certain events that are activated not be revealed right away. It'd be cool for an event that's activated to be subtly hinted at or even available as a rumor after being activated at times.

Say you kill decide to kill a wizard after defeating him and it turns out the wizard was in good standings with some goblins who then start rampaging in a region and the nearby town gets that as a rumor. rough example but whatever...lol!
From my reading of the planned features, I think you can do that... you place an Encounter to activate after a Wizard Lord is defeated, then have it unlock the Encounter set in the town. Could be wrong, but that's how it reads to me :/

Granthor

Post by Granthor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Excellent idea Mazy - have you ever played FTL? That's full of options like this, where the presence of a certain crewmember, weapon etc can give you "blue" choices, which are almost always guaranteed to be good.

My personal request would be to allow encounters to change the map slightly. If you come to a fork in the road, I'd like to include some text that gives you information about both forks, before destroying the relevant tile (or boat route) so that you then can't take the opposite route to that chosen by your encounter, which would be nonsensical.

Or so the map is designed to let you approach a mana flux from two different directions (each with different stories leading up to it), and your choice of approach direction then locks off the other route, so you then can't experience the opposite story in reverse.

Granthor

Post by Granthor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Farious wrote:
anjovi wrote:I couldn't see it written down anywere so i figured i'd also suggest.

From my reading of the planned features, I think you can do that... you place an Encounter to activate after a Wizard Lord is defeated, then have it unlock the Encounter set in the town. Could be wrong, but that's how it reads to me :/
I think it's important to clarify the difference between encounters that are "invisible" (but can still be activated by stumbling upon them or finding the appropriate rumour/prequel encounter to make them visible) and encounters that are "inactive" (where stumbling onto them does nothing until the rumour/prequel encounter is found)

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Granthor wrote: I think it's important to clarify the difference between encounters that are "invisible" (but can still be activated by stumbling upon them or finding the appropriate rumour/prequel encounter to make them visible) and encounters that are "inactive" (where stumbling onto them does nothing until the rumour/prequel encounter is found)
Yes, absolutely.