Allying and invading without entering realms

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Kahangriel
GOD

Allying and invading without entering realms

Post by Kahangriel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Couldn't we just offer ourselves as allies or act as invaders without having to be playing a realm ourselves? Sometimes I feel like helping someone (or killing them), but I wouldn't want to enter a realm (and have my score reset in the process) just to be able to do so. Why not have the option to allow people to apply as allies/invaders and play an offline match against the AI while they wait?
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

Farious

Re: Allying and invading without entering realms

Post by Farious » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Kahangriel wrote:Couldn't we just offer ourselves as allies or act as invaders without having to be playing a realm ourselves? Sometimes I feel like helping someone (or killing them), but I wouldn't want to enter a realm (and have my score reset in the process) just to be able to do so. Why not have the option to allow people to apply as allies/invaders and play an offline match against the AI while they wait?
+1.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 pm

+1, Yes that would be great. Almost a mode of it's own. I would probably stay in an ally or invade queue for long sessions especially while realms are off the grid or when new realms dry up, it would be a good way of 'replaying' them without replaying them. Helping is fun, so is gatecrashing!

Lithos

Post by Lithos » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 pm

I also agree with this. I've had a tough time finding allies or even volunteering as an ally, and that really makes the 1 nontransferable ally counter rather irrelevant. I think this could be supplemented by not making allies/invaders realm specific. I am unaware of the new realm development tools coming out, but it seems that being an ally in the king battle doesn't "spoil" anything of the realm.

I also thought about the possibility of making ally requests actually "pop-up" on screen, rather than the volunteering system. This way they can still be realm specific, yet allow for a higher likelihood of finding an ally. I could see how this would be difficult to implement without the social aspect of the game completed, but perhaps an ability to ping all friends with an ally request would be more ideal.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 pm

That feature existed but was taken away. There were complaints by some players about waiting in the queue with nothing to do. When Snapshot introduced the ability to queue for ally/invader while exploring Realms, I suspect they eliminated the independent ally/invader queue to simplify the UI.

The game does have a rather complicated UI for newbies to navigate. So, if we want this feature to return, then how would we propose integrating the option into a simple UI?

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:05 am

NoWorries wrote:The game does have a rather complicated UI for newbies to navigate. So, if we want this feature to return, then how would we propose integrating the option into a simple UI?
Good question, was the ally/invade button a separate button on 'The Realms of Chaos' sub-menu before? or perhaps even a button on the the main menu, I cant recall.

At the moment the realms sub-menu contains the main 'Enter New Realm' button in the centre of the screen that everyone has, plus two empty buttons either side of it.

If you are a lord backer one of these two vacant buttons becomes the 'Lord Duty' button (positioned on the right). If you are a King+ backer the button on the left becomes the 'Realm Editor' button (I don't have this button, I'm guessing its title is something like 'Realm Editor').

I think it's only possible to ever have one of these buttons showing at any one time?, not sure you can be a realm creator and a lord defender at the same time (you would lose the lord button and gain the king button upon upgrading to king from lord), so there is always at least one vacant button on the realm menu....

Or, possibly just add another bar shaped button above or below the 'Realm Score Table' button. Ideally still with the option to specifically choose either ally or invade... or both (whichever is ready to go first).

MattyRasker

Post by MattyRasker » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:32 am

Mazy wrote:
Good question, was the ally/invade button a separate button on 'The Realms of Chaos' sub-menu before? or perhaps even a button on the the main menu, I cant recall.
I honestly cannot remember the feature being there at all lol but yes that would be awesome, and yes i agree the button to do that should be from within The Realms of Chaos sub menu.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:00 am

Yes, it was there, in the menu where currently there is an empty button.

I fail to see how removing it can be a meaningful simplification of the UI. The realms menu where that button was present had only three buttons (two for non wizard kings), so there was no UI clutter problem there.

As a more general remark, both here and in the Steam forums I see many more about lacking features (like coop modes, etc.) than about the UI being too complex.