1.3 realm tools feedback

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

Re: 1.3 realm tools feedback

Post by anjovi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:51 am

All of that seems currently possible prudent! :D

Although as I've gone through most of the realm tools (just about finished one so i've used all of the flags/activate/named buddies/etc. by now) I've found a few limitations that have got me thinking of a good compromise until fixed.

Ones I've found so far

1)Having a specific character only able to join you via a single encounter. I planned some encounters were a character could join you in different contexts *hint: flags* or chances of meeting a character in different places. Though you can only assign a named character to 1 encounter. Meaning that i could have 4 'bernies' or whatever. This makes it so you have to have if 'bernie and bernie and bernie are present" in the requirement field which cuts off alot of interesting stuff. An easy fix would be some sort of character menu were you could input a named character and then have all of the hire creature/if in party checks/etc. or if all of the bernie's that you made set off the 'if bernie is in party'.

2)Having the ability to have encounters disabled by default. Their doesn't appear to be a means to do so I have to make some encounters that 'switches them off' not a deal breaker but it'd be nice if there was either
-Deactivated by default
-A drop down menu that you could choose for a specific flag to unlock it.

3)Only being able to give one named creature in an encounter outcome. It'd be cool if i could give more then one named creature in an outcome. A good amount of narrative contexts were this would be a good option to have.

----------------------
Otherwise I've had a few moments were i wished a certain feature was in.

1b)the ability to have more then 3 outcomes for an encounter..although i planned for this in the writing it would be nice to have some flexibility here if you wanted to make some really epic realm ending sequence that accounted for a load of varying variables. Although i might be the only psycho who'd utilize it..hehe

2b)Getting rid of the 25 encounter cap. I feel like with the tools expanded as they are it'd be nice to allow more encounters in the mix. I've got a realm with 3 routes to a spot and a particular party member interaction that i want to take place regardless of which route. Basically a copy and paste that deactivates the others when started. Otherwise I could see alot of cool scripting ideas hindered by the limit.

3b)Being able to lose a named creature if in party. I've had moments were i wished i could make you choose inbetween 1 creature or another or having some sort of parting segment but i was forced to shoe horn in a 'you can let him leave or.....subvert him!' which worked fine here but it'd be a handy thing to have.

That's my general feedback on the tools so far..I'm considering waiting until the identical creature stuff in 1) is addressed before going forward as I'd have to redo quite a bit of stuff. The other stuff is workable i think i can shoe horn some encounter deactivation in the earlier encounters.

Farious

Post by Farious » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:53 pm

anjovi wrote:1)Having a specific character only able to join you via a single encounter. I planned some encounters were a character could join you in different contexts *hint: flags* or chances of meeting a character in different places. Though you can only assign a named character to 1 encounter. Meaning that i could have 4 'bernies' or whatever. This makes it so you have to have if 'bernie and bernie and bernie are present" in the requirement field which cuts off alot of interesting stuff. An easy fix would be some sort of character menu were you could input a named character and then have all of the hire creature/if in party checks/etc. or if all of the bernie's that you made set off the 'if bernie is in party'.
I see your point, but if Bernie hasn't joined the party after 3 attempts by the player, perhaps the player is just too bad & you're being too nice :-)
anjovi wrote:2)Having the ability to have encounters disabled by default. Their doesn't appear to be a means to do
You set the Activation Counter to a number greater than 0
anjovi wrote:3)Only being able to give one named creature in an encounter outcome. It'd be cool if i could give more then one named creature in an outcome. A good amount of narrative contexts were this would be a good option to have.
Having a 'party' join might be fun but :-/ but it really isn't a biggie to sacrifice 4 encounters to hire your team imho.
anjovi wrote:1b)the ability to have more then 3 outcomes for an encounter..although i planned for this in the writing it would be nice to have some flexibility here if you wanted to make some really epic realm ending sequence that accounted for a load of varying variables. Although i might be the only psycho who'd utilize it..hehe
Only having 3 user facing Outcomes is fine, but it is a good point, when you have variables sometimes you sacrifice player interaction because under the hood you only have 3 outcomes as well. Right now it's ok imho, but if Snapshot think it is a good idea to introduce collectable artefacts into realms then I would hope they'd have the time to give use more outcome options under the hood even if we are only able to display 3 to the user.
anjovi wrote:2b)Getting rid of the 25 encounter cap.
I agree, but only if the Realm map is made bigger with suitable amendments to days etc.
anjovi wrote:3b)Being able to lose a named creature if in party.
+1 could be handy.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 am

for the bernie thing: Say I wanted to meet Bernie in different contexts were if i got him in spot 'A' i might trigger a scenario in spot 'B' but if i got him in spot 'C' i would have averted (for better or worse) the possible interaction in spot 'B'.

otherwise the 4+ encounter possibilities could be feasible, you'd just need some sort of error message that crops up if you have conflicting events. (say more then 4 of them become possible for some reason) though this could just be too nightmarish in practice as well as implimentation so perhaps the multiple scenarios should just be written into the actual narrative..ex: having 3 main outcomes but having all sorts of resolutions take place within the actual story.

Still think the more then one companion thing would be cool (mainly for story telling reasons) but i could see it being a bit of a pain to redo the GUI to make more room for it.