Almost done realm, need some help!

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

Almost done realm, need some help!

Post by anjovi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:22 am

hey gang! So i've just about finished my big web of flags and activations. I'm just looking to clear up some of the snags i've hit.

1) how does encounter activation work? i've got certain encounters that i want to be used only after being activated by another encounter (via. the result: Activate ---> "encounter") Is the only way around this to de-activate the encounter before reactivating it again?

side questions....

2) on the encounter screen what does 'Activation Counter' mean?
3) on the taboo menu what does 'time in days' mean?

I can probably work out the rest from here, thanks!

Prudent Viper

Re: Almost done realm, need some help!

Post by Prudent Viper » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I think 2) & 3) are just timers. Once they expire, the encounters and taboos that those timers are set to will activate.

Sorry, but I have no clue about 1). I didn't even know you could activate encounters. Best of luck!

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 am

DIdn't bother to really test the timers as if i leave it at 0 the taboo stays indefinitely (which i can't think of why i'd want it otherwise) But I was able to work around my issue in 1) by just wiring earlier encounters to 'disable' them and have other encounters 'enable' them....provides some cool little backtrack features and just things that give life to already explored areas..

But i've got the release candidate, i tested the crap out of all of my encounters (lot of work! LOL!) so they should all be in order so moderators should not have anything to worry about..there definately isn't anything game breaking, if one of my little side plots/encounters get's lost in any flag mishaps i wouldn't lose any sleep. :lol:

Ultimately hoping to provide a sort of proof of concept with this realm, see whether or not having characters in the game with impacts on encounters can liven things up. After spending all that time putting them together it's funny that it wasn't until i had to do the king battle to finish the testing that i ended up playing with the characters on the battle field....Got to say i did end up playing more conservatively with them...lol, the encounters after the king battle will reinforce this i think lol!

I think characters will be a strong feature to the game....I'll have to brainstorm little bits like these named characters that could help immerse you in the 'realms experience'.

Farious

Post by Farious » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:32 pm

The Activation Counter is the number of times an Encounter must be Activated by other Encounters before coming active itself. The most obvious use is if you need a 'key' to open a Wizard's Tower (for instance) to make its connection active. You'd do it like this:

Encounter 1: 'Tower Key'; Activation Counter 0; Encounter Options >> Activate TOWER
Encounter 2: 'Wizards Tower'; Tag TOWER; Activation Counter 1

This way the player will only activate Encounter 2 after activating Encounter 1, ie he must have found the 'Tower Key' first.

Hope that makes sense. If not I can do screenshots etc.

Farious.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:44 am

aha! so i don't need to waste one of my encounter slots to deactive/activate encounters? so when I set the counter to a # that's the specific encounter i have to activate 1st? That's great!

Farious

Post by Farious » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 am

anjovi wrote:so when I set the counter to a # that's the specific encounter i have to activate 1st? That's great!
No, it's the number of Activations required. Another example:

Encounter: 'Farious orders you to find three Necklaces of Power & take them to the Town of Hogworth'; Activation Counter 0; Encounter Options >> Activate NECKLACE1; Activate NECKLACE2; Activate NECKLACE3
Encounter: 'You found a Necklace of Power!'; Tag NECKLACE1; Activation Counter 1; Encounter Options >> Activate GOTALLNECKLACES
Encounter: 'You found a Necklace of Power!'; Tag NECKLACE2; Activation Counter 1; Encounter Options >> Activate GOTALLNECKLACES
Encounter: 'You found a Necklace of Power!'; Tag NECKLACE3; Activation Counter 1; Encounter Options >> Activate GOTALLNECKLACES
Encounter: 'Arriving at Hogworth, Farious meets you most pleased you have his three Necklaces of Power'; Tag GOTALLNECKLACES; Activation Counter 3;

The 1st Encounter in the list is Active when the player enters the Realm and they can trigger it. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are Activated by the 1st Encounter. The 5th Encounter in the list though requires 3 Activations meaning that the player must have been to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Encounters before it becomes Active and the player can trigger it.

Hope that makes more sense, if not, let me know.

Farious