Idea: add layers to encounters (to stack on 1 tile)

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

Idea: add layers to encounters (to stack on 1 tile)

Post by anjovi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:24 pm

So was thinking this could be a neat function that could make things interesting (especially if more game mechanic orientated realm results become possible...things like give this lord a specific reinforcement, add a taboo, if village destroyed, etc.)

If your familiar with photo shop. The program allows you to stack layers on each other for various parts of the image (the background, the characters, the fore ground) and i'm thinking something like this could apply to the encounters in realms...say you have a tool bar that lets you stack layer 1,2,3,4,etc.

ex of photoshop layers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIcYWEQH4z4
How it would look in editor?

-A tool bar on the side with an arrow left/right to select layer 1-4 or whatever limit.
-when 1 selected only encounters on layer 1 are shown
-when 2 selected only encounters on layer 2 are shown
- so on...

and how it plays out?

layer 1 has to activate before layer 2, 2 before 3 and so on..

This could do 2 things:
1) Allow for multiple paged or the ability to make multiple resolutions on 1 tile. For example on the latter, say i wanted to resolve what happens if i get 5 special characters to 1 tile. Before i was limited to 3 outcomes, now i could make more by way of these extra encounters if i wanted to.

2) Make backtracking more interesting: Say i want to have a player revisit a town and unlock some special encounter in a town after you get a certain character, get an item or something...Now i could do that without having to give up any other uses for that town/tile. Another example would be receiving a quest, doing the quest and turning the quest in.

3)Having before and after wizard battle encounters. This could be clean way to allow stuff like this as opposed to having a before wizard event and then having to wait until you traveled a day away to resolve it (or come up with some post report of what happened after the wizard died
)
Just thought this could be a good way to tackle alot of tool limitations that doesnt require a reworking of the encounter UI. I couldn't see it being that complicated for the user but programming it is a whole other story..hehe

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Idea: add layers to encounters (to stack on 1 tile)

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:42 am

I've thought similar before, but had more of a flowchart in mind.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Farious

Post by Farious » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:I've thought similar before, but had more of a flowchart in mind.
It would be easier imho just to have persistent Encounters but with more than three outcomes being able to be defined by the Designer (even if the player only ever sees a maximum of three.)

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I don't know if you mean this by persistent but my thoughts on how you could incorporate that....

Screen 1 *main encounter editor screen*) have a check box that says 'persistent' or 'repeated' encounter
Screen 2 *on resolution editor screen*) on the top along side check if wizard/flag/companion have a check for 'gold'
and for an outcome reward/penalty have 'end encounter' as one of the things.

this could simulate the whole having a guy waiting until you pay a gold cost or something for a reward.

A flow chart could ultimately be more robust though..say instead of the screen that prompts you choose a pre-created encounter or create your own..you had a flow chart that sort of did the same thing.

1)show a flow chart on the screen
2)left most = higher priority
3)Decide whether to attach up to 3 branches, these encounters could then trigger instead of your choices...so if you choose option A you'd get a new encounter screen instead of the "this is the outcome click ok", it would be cleaner at the end.
4)If unbranched but to the right....this could be subsequent encounters that you could layer on top (though requiring the more left encounter to go off.

Of course from this screen you'd then just click on any of the word bubbles to open the encounter editor.Perhaps if you chose for one of the choices to result in activating a new outcome you'd then only get access to the check if wizard/companion/flag buttons on the following screen. One of the outcome boxes would be already designated to the new encounter, you would have the option to add 2 other results if you wanted to dice roll for the potential outcome vs other dead ends that end the whole encounter tree.

Hope that's clear but that could ultimately be the most intuitive/flexible system regarding something like this.

Farious

Post by Farious » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 am

anjovi wrote:I don't know if you mean this by persistent but my thoughts on how you could incorporate that....

Screen 1 *main encounter editor screen*) have a check box that says 'persistent' or 'repeated' encounter
Screen 2 *on resolution editor screen*) on the top along side check if wizard/flag/companion have a check for 'gold'
and for an outcome reward/penalty have 'end encounter' as one of the things.

this could simulate the whole having a guy waiting until you pay a gold cost.
Nail, head, hit. Iirc an Encounter can already Deactivate itself. In fact the Deactivate option disables all Encounters with the same tag. What we need is an option to have an Activated Encounter remain active every time a player enters the tile until we Deactivate it. This would also allow terrain Encounters, for example, a swamp that takes you 10 days to cross however if you show up with a named Merc to 'show you the route' the Encounter is Deactivated.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 am

that would be brilliant. would work well to with the layered/encounters to as it'd encourage some back and forth between locations.

Farious

Post by Farious » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:23 am

anjovi wrote:that would be brilliant. would work well to with the layered/encounters to as it'd encourage some back and forth between locations.
Thought: I wonder if an Encounter Outcome can Reactive the Encounter itself, i.e., making it Permanent/Persistent? Something to test... but its so hacky if it did work I think we might have to contact one of the Snapshot devs before using it :/

Edit: Above does not work