test realm

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Stitchy

test realm

Post by Stitchy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 pm

cmon you guys

u l33t realm designers pls help this fellow wizard

cant you guys make me one?

just a realm with no fee and 3 high level wizards of different alignments right at the portal (doesnt need no king coz ill never finish it.)
atm i have to walk through storys and such and then i end up fighting a fight where no creatures are allowed :/

i am not going to test builds in live or async coz that takes too long
if i see a flaw in turn 1 i want to change it right away

dno why i still have to suffer
so please please

NoWorries
GOD

Re: test realm

Post by NoWorries » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:50 pm

This issue may be mitigated if we change the "Realm level" system to give more agency and control to players over the challenge settings of a realm rather than the realm designers. For discussion, see here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3677.

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:19 am

how so

level doesnt have to do much with it

i just want a quick fight without walking talking or clicking
or invaders. just a training wizard to slap around preferably 3 (law, chaos and neutral)

i know its the first realm i will try to make if i ever get lord or king

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 am

If that is all you want, then you might have better effect by lobbying the developers to increase the customization options for the offline hotseat skirmish mode. I.e., the offline skirmish mode seems ideal for what you are asking if players can bring more certainty to what they and the AI wizards have as equipment.

Farious

Post by Farious » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:18 am

Stitchy wrote:just a realm with no fee and 3 high level wizards of different alignments right at the portal (doesnt need no king coz ill never finish it.)
I'm afraid we can't. You say testing in a live match would take too long but I'm sure you'd be able to find a willing partner for a private-friendly gear 'test session'.
Stitchy wrote:atm i have to walk through storys and such and then i end up fighting a fight where no creatures are allowed :/
Realms aren't designed to test gear, they are designed to tell a story. Also the point of preventing players from casting creature spells is to force them to adopt a different strategy that they may not usually use. It is no different from a Battlemage being prevented from using Armoury spells. The game is meant to provide challenges, it is not meant to be a walk in the park for one particular set up.
Stitchy wrote:if i see a flaw in turn 1 i want to change it right awayr
Every build will have a flaw though as no build can provide a complete counter to every build and hand an enemy wizard may have. I'm guessing you really don't want to play Realms at all and instead just want to play live matches with a kit you like? If you don't complete a Realm the fee doesn't go up, so it will always be Free if you don't finish it and then you can just use it for testing.

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:46 am

maybe it is not easy to understand but i spend hours making builds.basically every 4-6 async games i change builds
using privates to test builds is not a realistic option because like i said you can discover some silly flaw you overlooked in turn one,i would abuse my friendships if i would ask some1 to go through this starting and restarting.
In general this style of playing isnt supported at all with only 15 configs possible, no proper way to test builds and a 200 item limit

just try this if you want to experience what im going through:

go into a realm
start a fight
surrender it
and do this 5 times in a row

You will see how annoying this becomes going through the storys , walking the mountains or take shiprides and turning off invaders etc (getting an invader while testing is the worst thing that can happen)
ok i know realms arent designed for this but that is exactly my point, why isnt there a practice place?!

so how hard is it to design a test realm ? i cant believe that is the problem.
And the developers arent listening so this is my last hope

its funny ; arent realm designers commited to what players want? If i state what i want it is being frowned upon as its something weird. I think some open mind to what a good realm is could be helpful. (for me a decent testing place would be a good realm). Maybe theres other uses for realms besides testing and storytelling as well, id say start thinking out of the box!

i remember in wc3 u had maps that were campaigns but also maps that were practice maps (microwars) and even maps that were completely different games (dota). i think taking that game as an example would be a good idea

https://www.epicwar.com/maps/ (10000 maps)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:44 am

NoWorries wrote:If that is all you want, then you might have better effect by lobbying the developers to increase the customization options for the offline hotseat skirmish mode. I.e., the offline skirmish mode seems ideal for what you are asking if players can bring more certainty to what they and the AI wizards have as equipment.
I agree with NW - Offline skirmish mode could support gear testing a lot more effectively than realms. (In fact Offline skirmish mode could be significantly improved in a number of ways.)
IMHO The ideal for testing is being able to specifically set gear for both yourself and your opponent.

Playing against another human has merit too.. No matter how or what you test against the AI a human opponent is always going to come along and do something different. Why not make a post in the matchmaker forum seeing if anyone wants to join you in testing loadouts?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Stitchy

Post by Stitchy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:28 pm

if it gets past the AI stage i dont mind putting it in league or live or where ever, so humans are not needed

Its just the early stages seeing how things play out and if what is made on paper actually is possible that needs testing

The thing is seeing a build on your screen and actually having to play it is a world of difference, i dare say i have never made a build that worked straight of the bat and rarely it requires a lot of testing once you have seen it in action a couple of times.
Discovering that you actually dont need a mount or that your handsize or decksize is too small or that a certain talisman is too expensive to combine with a certain strategy, are things that are hard to predict but easy to see in only a couple of turns.

and yes offline skirmish would do even better if you can select builds to play against etc
or even the forgemaster testing would be enough (not vs mirrors but say random wizards would do fine)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Stitchy wrote: or even the forgemaster testing would be enough (not vs mirrors but say random wizards would do fine)
Yes, that would be very nice :-) +1

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.