Future of Realms

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

In what direction should Realms take?

Turn Based Strategy
44%
Open World RPG
44%
Other (Please expand upon in thread)
11%

Total votes: 9

Farious

Future of Realms

Post by Farious » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:34 am

I think that Realms are approaching a crossroads so would be interested in seeing what other Designers and players think the future should be. In the main I can see two paths ahead & both have merits:

Turn Based Strategy
Elements such as the Citadels & Villages should be expanded and Realms should move towards being a large strategic battle field. Of course, ideally, Victory Conditions should be set by Designers (such as capture all Citadels, kill all Lords). The advantage of this style imho is that Realms would be easy to understand, produce & Moderate so the number would likely increase. Whilst for players, they would have clear goals, know how to achieve them, and Realms would better fit with the style of the rest of the game.

Open World
Designers should be able to disable prescribed elements such as the Banish Spell and Realms should move towards being an open world RPG game. The advantage of this style imho is that it will allow the telling of engrossing stories for players that are invested in their Wizard's character to participated in. The addition of collectables makes more sense with this approach and could help build the player base through player retention as they attempt to find all the items Designers have come up with.

My View
I'm a fan of Lords of Chaos so prefer the Open World approach and this is the type of Realms I want to create but right now as a Designer I feel like I'm stuck. I can't create a proper Open World because of the restrictions that support the strategic elements such as the banish spell & reinforcement points. Likewise, I really can't create a Strategic Realm because the same restrictions, imho, become unglued pretty fast after the lower levels (village kudos cost is too cheap). Personally I have no problem making Strategic Realms and would happily do so but I do think Snapshot will need to make a decision pretty soon on just what type of Realms they want. Hence this thread.

Farious

Mazy

Re: Future of Realms

Post by Mazy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:01 pm

It would be good to see the SP revisited at some point, I'm sure there are a lot of simple mechanical reworks that could be done to realms as well as perhaps some major rethinks and overhauls to some aspects of it.

There is a lot of potential there to continue developing upon. I'll try to make a list of coherent ideas or possible directions it could be taken in (when I've got my thinking hat on!).

Farious

Post by Farious » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Mazy wrote:There is a lot of potential there to continue developing upon. I'll try to make a list of coherent ideas or possible directions it could be taken in (when I've got my thinking hat on!).
Cool! I look forward to seeing what you've come up with.

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:17 am

Any word from Snapshot about the long term plans for Realms?

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

Farious

Post by Farious » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:21 am

SlipperyJim wrote:Any word from Snapshot about the long term plans for Realms?
Their current priority is on improving PvP to boost live game numbers and they are chockablock with work from that, which is fair enough as it needs to be done and as this seems to be bearing fruit hopefully PvE will be back on the agenda soon. However, in the meanwhile I think it would be hugely appreciated if Snapshot gave a general vision; not actually say feature X or Y, but just state; 'long term guys, Realms are going be RPG focused, or tabletop strategy focused etc. Most Designers would be happy to Design maps for either style but atm if we design an RPG Realm we are fighting against the Strategic elements like the Banish Spell and if we are design a Strategy Realm we are fighting against the RPG elements like Encounters. A direction would enable us to know which 'fight' we should be having :)

Farious