Realms and Shrines

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 am

• Split from original thread as suggested.

Regards,

Jim
    The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72
    SlipperyJim

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:13 pm

• Al-Khwarizmi wrote:I play Team Fortress 2 (among other shooters) and in that game I have blasted people into pieces with rocket launchers, burned them

The power of your rocket launcher isn't based upon your personal popularity though.

SlipperyJim wrote:If I were you I would save my anger until these things are announced or proposed as acually happening

Fair dues and if that is were the game ends up going then that is fine, but I wouldn't be participating in the personality contest parts of it. However, I wouldn't want to spoil something others might enjoy so I won't post anymore on this topic.

Farious
    Farious

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:41 am

• Farious wrote:
    SlipperyJim wrote:If I were you I would save my anger until these things are announced or proposed as acually happening

Fair dues and if that is were the game ends up going then that is fine, but I wouldn't be participating in the personality contest parts of it. However, I wouldn't want to spoil something others might enjoy so I won't post anymore on this topic.

It's a fair point that any 'competition' between guilds is going to be something of a personality contest. That's partly why I backed at god level so I wouldn't have to be concerned with such things as elections :). We spent a lot of time in the god forum talking about how someone might ascend to god level and how to avoid it being a popularity contest.

There are ways around the popularity contest problem of course, some of which we've discussed in the past. For example I remember suggesting that smaller guilds might gain proportionally larger rewards for each player (even though overall they might have less power), giving a reason for some players to join a smaller guild. A smaller guild would also be a more tightknit group, so there's benefits there as well. When it comes to gods and shrines I think a similar principle will apply. A god with more followers would have a larger overall pool of 'blessings' to grant, but would have to spread them over a larger group, while gods with less followers could pay more attention to helping individuals. It all depends on how the god & guild game is designed, if we ever get to that stage.

Having experienced an online game where I played a 'goddess' admin character who was personally and maliciously targeted by another admin and her 'followers', I can confirm that I wouldn't want to participate in anything like that either. But I don't see anything in what Snapshot vaguely proposed that could lead to anything like that.

Most the original gods saw ourselves as 'providers of lore and stories' to offer a framework in which others could play. There might have been some staged conflict but not real antagonism, and anyone else ascending to the god role would have been carefully vetted to agree to that. Alas I don't know if CR will ever reach that stage now.
    Tess
    GOD

Previous

Return to Realm Design

Information