Realm Escape

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:17 am

• An idea to make realms that little bit easier for new players:

At the moment a realm can be competed via either defeating the Wizard King, or by the player being banished at which point they lose anything that they'd gained.

What if there was a 3rd resolution whereby the play was able to escape part way through a realm?

This could be done by either:
    The player returning to the starting portal.
    A checkpoint appearing part way through the realm.
    A special piece of equipment that is given free to low level wizards, but then must be purchased from the shop.

I think one of the big frustrations for new players in realms is that they can spend hours of gametime trying to complete them, yet come away with nothing. This change would at least allow them to hopefully gather some gold or a few bits of kit.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods .
    SpiteAndMalice

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 pm

• yeah I like this, a portal could open up somewhere like in Lords of Chaos, maybe you can only take a certain amount of things through the portal or maybe you can take equipment you have purchased through the portal but not any gold.

There would need to be a big difference in reward between defeating the palace guy or running away through a portal
    worto03

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:00 pm

• Hi mods, please could you move this to the realm design forum.

SpiteAndMalice

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 am

• I have already requested an Exit Portal & the ability to disable the Banish Spell in the Realm Feature Wish List attached to the top of the forum. If you wish me to add to what is there or reword it then let me know. As both suggestions are relatively easy to implement & can use the current assets they meet the criteria so this could possibly make it into Chaos Reborn. However, Snapshot's current focus is on improving the PvP & multiplayer experience to boost player numbers, and rightly so, so there may still be some wait before any features to Realms are added.
    Realm Designer, King Backer, Demigod, Realm Moderator & Wiki Admin.
    Graduate of Chaos & Lords of Chaos.

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:38 am

• Farious wrote:I have already requested an Exit Portal & the ability to disable the Banish Spell in the Realm Feature Wish List attached to the top of the forum. If you wish me to add to what is there or reword it then let me know.

Yes please, the Exit Portal is a good suggestion to allow for differing victory conditions, but the suggestion here is not for an alternative victory condition, rather a way for new players to exit a realm prior to that realm's full victory condition being met.

SpiteAndMalice

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:59 am

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:
    Farious wrote:I have already requested an Exit Portal & the ability to disable the Banish Spell in the Realm Feature Wish List attached to the top of the forum. If you wish me to add to what is there or reword it then let me know.

Yes please, the Exit Portal is a good suggestion to allow for differing victory conditions, but the suggestion here is not for an alternative victory condition, rather a way for new players to exit a realm prior to that realm's full victory condition being met.

See what you make of how I've put it.

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:55 pm

• A possibly simpler method for mitigating losing everything might be giving some sort of points based on how many lords you defeat. Perhaps if you beat the realm you keep everything but if you lose you can take as many pieces of equipment based on some sort of accumulated points leading up to game over *picking and choosing which pieces of gear to take/leave*
    anjovi

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:39 am

• Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:
    Farious wrote:I have already requested an Exit Portal & the ability to disable the Banish Spell in the Realm Feature Wish List attached to the top of the forum. If you wish me to add to what is there or reword it then let me know.

See what you make of how I've put it.

This part reflects what I'm suggesting which to make realms easier for new players:

Farious wrote:28/08/2016 An Exit Portal could allow a player to leave a Realm at any point the Designer permits, thus allowing for the creation of easier Realms for new players who can play to their level whilst also opening up the opportunity,

The means of making it easier is secondary imho. I think it would work just as well to allow new players to have a piece of equipment that lets them leave at any time, or as Anjovi suggests, just quit and keep a piece of kit that they've gained up to that point.

I think this part is maybe a separate idea, (worth stating in it's own right in connection to exit portals in particular)

Farious wrote: in combination with perhaps other additions such as Encounter controlled allocation of score points, for dynamic missions and rewards In Realms for more experienced players

It might be worth having an area of the wish list which is specifically for newbie friendly suggestions, as I think realms (and the game in general) would benefit from making things easier for new players and thereby increasing retention, we could probably all give some thought to that.

SpiteAndMalice

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:52 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:The means of making it easier is secondary imho. I think it would work just as well to allow new players to have a piece of equipment that lets them leave at any time, or as Anjovi suggests, just quit and keep a piece of kit that they've gained up to that point.

That's more of a new mechanic rather than something that can be added to the Realm Editor imho. I was told to keep the suggestions realistic and implementable using something that was already there, hence Fractions via Teams. This sounds like something that is more suited to a 'Realms 2.0' thread the like of which me & Anjovi have done. If you do one, I am happy to link to it from the Wish List thread.

SpiteAndMalice wrote:I think this part is maybe a separate idea, (worth stating in it's own right in connection to exit portals in particular)

Farious wrote: in combination with perhaps other additions such as Encounter controlled allocation of score points, for dynamic missions and rewards In Realms for more experienced players

I need to keep the list as short as possible whilst also selling an idea to the Devs, i.e. the idea is an Exit Portal, the reason why it should be added to the Realm Editor is x, y, z. I think it strikes the right balance but will think on it some more.

SpiteAndMalice wrote:It might be worth having an area of the wish list which is specifically for newbie friendly suggestions, as I think realms (and the game in general) would benefit from making things easier for new players and thereby increasing retention, we could probably all give some thought to that.

The Wish List is more to do with 'Features that can be added to the Realm Editor' and the creation & moderation process than general gaming mechanics etc though obviously they can and do over lap. Julian has already created an official thread for Tutorial feedback and this is probably something best discussed there imho.

The Wish List is one from primarily a Realm Design perspective rather than a Player one and is meant to as much as possible use or expand upon what already exists in Realms or what in other areas of the game can be repackaged and brought into Realms. Hope that makes sense.

Farious

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:50 pm

• Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:The means of making it easier is secondary imho. I think it would work just as well to allow new players to have a piece of equipment that lets them leave at any time, or as Anjovi suggests, just quit and keep a piece of kit that they've gained up to that point.

That's more of a new mechanic rather than something that can be added to the Realm Editor imho. I was told to keep the suggestions realistic and implementable using something that was already there, hence Fractions via Teams. This sounds like something that is more suited to a 'Realms 2.0' thread the like of which me & Anjovi have done. If you do one, I am happy to link to it from the Wish List thread.

SpiteAndMalice wrote:I think this part is maybe a separate idea, (worth stating in it's own right in connection to exit portals in particular)

I need to keep the list as short as possible whilst also selling an idea to the Devs, i.e. the idea is an Exit Portal, the reason why it should be added to the Realm Editor is x, y, z. I think it strikes the right balance but will think on it some more.

Fair point about using existing assets, to that end of the available options within the game that allowing new players to simply retain gear if abandoning a realm would be the easiest to implement.

An Exit Portal would be a new mechanic, (as would a new piece of gear that allowed a player to quit whilst retaining gear)

Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:It might be worth having an area of the wish list which is specifically for newbie friendly suggestions, as I think realms (and the game in general) would benefit from making things easier for new players and thereby increasing retention, we could probably all give some thought to that.

The Wish List is more to do with 'Features that can be added to the Realm Editor' and the creation & moderation process than general gaming mechanics etc though obviously they can and do over lap. Julian has already created an official thread for Tutorial feedback and this is probably something best discussed there imho.

The Wish List is one from primarily a Realm Design perspective rather than a Player one and is meant to as much as possible use or expand upon what already exists in Realms or what in other areas of the game can be repackaged and brought into Realms. Hope that makes sense.

Farious

I see, I'd thought that the wishlist was for Realm Features in general. If you don't feel that my suggestion is relevant to your wishlist please remove it, and I'll suggest along with a couple of other features elsewhere.

SpiteAndMalice

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information