Lore: The Basics Explained

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:04 pm

• In this thread I will try to explain the important aspects of the game's Lore as best I can. It is my interpretation based upon what is detailed in The Loremaster's Guide by Allen Stroud & Julian Gollop and you should certainly check out the original text. These are intended to be 'prompter cards' and not a definitive source of information.

Farious
    Last edited by Farious on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Farious

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:23 pm

• The Gods

Egregoroi who have become powerful enough to cast aside their mortal form and become a God formed of living magic. They will never age or die but the price is to be forever anchored to a single magical aspect whether that be Chaos, Neutral, or Law.

The Egregoroi

Born of man in human form, the Egregoroi are wielders of magic. Slow ageing, living some three-hundred years, they are a hardy supernatural being capable of surviving in the most extreme environments ranging from frozen arctic wastes to endless deserts.

Able to sense the Cosmic Balance, most Egregoroi follow a singular path that suits their nature whether it be Chaos, Neutral or Law and use their powers as they see fit. Knights, guardians, kings, prophets, religious leaders, and humble travellers; all an Egregoroi have been but most will still strive to increase their power and transcend their mortal form to become a God.

The Nephilim

A half-mortal, half-Egregoroi being of human form born through interbreeding of Egregoroi and Mortals.

Alchemists, artificers, archivers, herbalists, merchants, philosophers, servants, teachers, and tower masters. These dwellers of Limbo are loyal to none but enemy of none either except when under the influence of the coin. They are the practitioners of weak or limited magic.

The Gifted

A Mortal showing signs of an affinity towards magic and is thus suspected to be an Egregoroi. The Nephilim are often employed to help identify the nature of their true magical powers, if any, and train them.

The Mortals

The remnants of mankind. Many are still imprisoned on Limbo, descendants of those kept alive by random chance through contact with magic or by design of Egregoroi and Nephilim patrons looking to prevent the extinction of man. Now they provide a workforce for Egregoroi and tower masters, and a source of new Gifted ones. The more fortunate Mortals are taken to the Shattered Worlds to serve in the roles found in the new nations being built there by the Egregoroi. This is done using the Portals for Mortals cannot be summoned due to their composition lacking the necessary magical properties and thus they cannot use magic themselves either. However, they are affected by it like any other being.

Click here to view the aboves' Wiki pages.
    Attachments
    Lore - Inhabitants.png
    Farious

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:55 pm

• A graphic showing Chaos Reborn's cosmos.

Lore - Cosmos.png
    Farious

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 pm

• Awesome stuff. Please do sticky. Loving your work Farious!
    AllenStroud

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 am

• Love the diagrams! kind of a visual person myself so this tickles whatever brain bit associates with that :lol: I'm assuming this is in the wiki or going to be implemented at some point, which would be great imo
    anjovi

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am

• anjovi wrote:Love the diagrams!

Thank you! Appreciated

anjovi wrote:kind of a visual person myself so this tickles whatever brain bit associates with that :lol: I'm assuming this is in the wiki or going to be implemented at some point, which would be great imo

They are on the WIki (see http://chaosreborn.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images ) but I haven't created a page to display them on yet. I'm also a diagram person as I have to use a screen magnifier so prefer the combination of a visual prompt first then a text prompt if I need to check what the graphic means.

Farious
    Farious

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:35 pm

• Good work, It would be good if the lore could be presented within the game in a similar fashion.

The style of that cosmos diagram and the concise gods overview is very approachable.
    Mazy

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:23 am

• An explanation of how Limbo & the Cosmos came into being.

Lore - Creation of the Cosmos.png
    Farious

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:05 pm

• Just getting closer to the finish of 'death of gods' and have found referencing this quite handy! xD
    I'd love to see the chaos world expanded, regardless of how succesful the game is...though ideally both will prosper and cross pollinate. Also the audio workshop stuff looks interesting, probably going to pick that up after i'm done the book. Getting my fantasy world kick.

probably a little off topic, but it's great to see the wiki getting plugged in the game. Your all doing wonderful work! :D
    anjovi

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 am

• anjovi wrote:Just getting closer to the finish of 'death of gods'

Unless it comes out in audio book form I'll probably be pestering you for info pretty soon :)

anjovi wrote:and have found referencing this quite handy! xD

Thanks.

anjovi wrote:I'd love to see the chaos world expanded, regardless of how succesful the game is...

Huge potential shackled and undermined by the Kickstarter imho. Parts of the Word of the Gods section violate the rest of the Lore even, e.g. raising dead before it is possible, standing in the moonlight etc - they even have a picture of the moon in the background of their god avatar even though it has been blown up! We saw what happened to the player base when the King Social Rank was implemented, they left. If Snapshot actually implement the 'god game' as gods want most players will just pack up and leave as anyone who actually plays Chaos Reborn will be prevented from becoming a god. What needs to happen imho is a meeting between the parties were an alternative set of perks is come up with and gods become an evolution of current game mechanics; i.e. they become what is actually defined as a god in Chaos Reborn Lore. I think then most of the problems would be solved and Realms could seize their RPG or Strategic future.

anjovi wrote:Also the audio workshop stuff looks interesting, probably going to pick that up after i'm done the book. Getting my fantasy world kick.

I know what you mean. I'm currently listening to Lord of the Rings (Unabridged) again. I'll need to check out the audio workshop stuff too.

anjovi wrote:probably a little off topic, but it's great to see the wiki getting plugged in the game. Your all doing wonderful work! :D

Yeah, it's appreciated. It still needs a lot of work and even if it isn't the most perfect advert for the game I don't think it can be claimed it gives a bad impression like the old wiki certainly did. I'm doing it because Chaos Reborn's fundamentals are a masterstroke & I'm a fan of Julian's work, but if I have zero change of becoming a god, no matter how good a player I am or how much effort I put in then why should I do such things? Or anyone else for that matter? I was kind of on a Chaos Reborn high with the Epic Gear stuff but other threads have kind of sunk that for me. Oh well.

Farious
    Farious

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information