You should be more transparent about the realm tools

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• What i mean by this is that when players are progressing towards the 'king' (or realm creator) capabilities, they should have a good idea of how the tools work and what to expect when they finally get to creating stuff.

Right now the tools are somewere between user friendly and your run of the mill editing tools for games like this (very unintuitive for casual players) As someone who loved the idea of creating a campaign for the shadowrun returns game it just ended up being waaaay out of my league to get into.

Chaos's realm tools on the otherhand are just accessible enough for me to bang out some realms, though some of that might have to do with the scope of the game (you don't have as many things to tweak as a full fledged rpg game) being incorporated in an ingame gui helps alot.

Although I feel that i'm in a bit of a niche, somewere between casual player and hardcore "i'm going to design custom maps/campaigns" or what a modding community might look like.

Nothing really specific to suggest but i hope you find a way to introduce players to the realm tools, perhaps when realms possibly get reworked would be a good context to advertise them to would be realm designers and make them more accessible.
    anjovi

• For me, realms should be availabe to players at Lord level. Then when the player reaches King level they are able to release any realms that they've created.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• anjovi wrote:What i mean by this is that when players are progressing towards the 'king' (or realm creator) capabilities, they should have a good idea of how the tools work and what to expect when they finally get to creating stuff.

Imho the Realm Designer is too limiting for experienced players/users but also too overwhelming for novices, hence why I made the Realm Tutorial videos. Awhile ago I suggested that a thread be stickied in the General Forum that had links to YouTube tutorials, strategy, & good battle videos. Perhaps someone should make that request again?

anjovi wrote:Chaos's realm tools on the otherhand are just accessible enough for me to bang out some realms,

I think they are sort of in the right area but it is more to do with the current feature set of Realms & the Design Guidance. You only have to use 6 Encounters so if you're not a wordsmith then you can still create Realms. However, it falls down for people who want to create either a proper strategy based campaign or create a detailed RPG world. The freedom and features just aren't there.

anjovi wrote:Nothing really specific to suggest but i hope you find a way to introduce players to the realm tools, perhaps when realms possibly get reworked would be a good context to advertise them to would be realm designers and make them more accessible.

As a first step I think all restrictions should go. Apart from the Introduction, if Designers don't want to have any Encounters in a Realm then they should be able too. The Realm Editor is however designed to be part of the 'God game,' which is where Construction Points actually comes from, so how liberated the Realm Editor becomes I suspect will depend upon which direction Realms takes in the future.
    Farious

• coming to think of it that might just be the missing bit.
    If you simply had more things to customize like: number of lords in battle, perhaps the creature squads idea and removed limitations from encounters perhaps that alone would increase the number and variety of realms.

alot of the work as of now seems to be working with the limitations/restrictions. creating alot of cool side objectives that you have to coordinate and that reverse the banishing spell could be interesting but you have to be really clever in how you incorporate it due to the encounter cap (25) and outcome reward/penalty limitation (1-3)

you can argue that more stuff would make things more complicated but it might just allow creators enough leeweay to make simple designs. more variables, simpler design = arguably easier time for moderators. just some words that came to mind.
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:you can argue that more stuff would make things more complicated but it might just allow creators enough leeweay to make simple designs. more variables, simpler design = arguably easier time for moderators. just some words that came to mind.

Perhaps, but any difficulties in the moderation process is up to the Moderators to sort out imho. As far as I'm concerned the inability to create a 'forest' realm, for instance, due to Constructions Points & limits on the number of Forest tiles you can place is forcing lower quality Realms by possibly denying the production of a high quality one. If that makes sense? :)
    Farious

• the moderation process itself is something that should probably get another relook as you open the tools to more players. At present the moderation process isn't that painful as you've only got a few folks making realms. Though i can imagine as they become more accessible that moderators will get overwhelmed and you might end up with a problem of stuff taking too much time.

Perhaps this might make it more favorable to add customization options to realms that are not limited to encounters to encourage more game play driven realms. Otherwise tools for moderators that makes realm testing easier and perhaps the abilitiy to export the text files to a note pad which can then be pasted into a word editor would make moderator's life easier. for example:

note pad from chaos reborn format:
    ---
    ---
    Alchemist Report
    *insert text*
    --
    --
    Encounter 1
    Title:
    *insert text for page 1*
    --
    Choice 1 a
    --
    Choice 1 b
    --
    Choice 2
    --
    Choice 3
    --
    --
    Encounter 2
    Title:
    *insert text for page 1*
    ---

and so on....
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote: Otherwise tools for moderators that makes realm testing easier and perhaps the abilitiy to export the text files to a note pad which can then be pasted into a word editor would make moderator's life easier. for example:

This would also be very useful for Realms Designers.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• anjovi wrote:the moderation process itself is something that should probably get another relook as you open the tools to more players. At present the moderation process isn't that painful

:lol:
    Seriously though, its okay. It mostly depends upon whether a Designer has bothered to read the Realm Guidelines or not.

anjovi wrote:as you've only got a few folks making realms. Though i can imagine as they become more accessible that moderators will get overwhelmed and you might end up with a problem of stuff taking too much time.

I can see that happening, but it hasn't happened yet so I wouldn't worry about it. If Moderators get overwhelmed it's up to us to make a fuss about it. It might just boil down to Designers having to wait a little longer for their Realms to be made available - which is disappointing for all but isn't the end of the world.

anjovi wrote:Perhaps this might make it more favorable to add customization options to realms that are not limited to encounters to encourage more game play driven realms.

Actually it would make it harder as we have to attempt to judge a Realm's difficulty. With an Encounter you have to read the text and map out the conditions but with a forced Village battle, for instance, you have to keep fighting and fighting and fighting it to make sure players can actually win it (when compared to the Realm Difficulty).

anjovi wrote:perhaps the abilitiy to export the text files to a note pad which can then be pasted into a word editor would make moderator's life easier.

It would save time cut'n'pasting it all in to Word for sure & we've already requested it. I doubt it will happen anytime soon though as it isn't really a priority & until the core-game is sorted I personally don't think it should be.
    Farious

• Good points though i kind of wish realm levels were taken out entirely and stuff like wizard gear, AI, villager amounts (this is level based) were just configurable by players and they could just rate there own realm as easy,medium,hard.

This could open up the customization options while keeping things easier for moderators as opposed fine tuning realms to fit in 1 to 12 incriments. Considering the rng factors that can effect realm difficulty drastically between play throughs.

say in an easy realm i had a decked out wizard lord, but a village handy to assist me..thats an example of how you can mix and match stuff.
    anjovi

• anjovi wrote:Good points though i kind of wish realm levels were taken out entirely and stuff like wizard gear, AI, villager amounts (this is level based) were just configurable by players and they could just rate there own realm as easy,medium,hard

I agree, I'll add it to the list. We need the 1-12 to setup Wizard Lord difficulty but for Designers & Moderators such a span is a nightmare to tune a Realm too. It really should just be Easy, Medium, Hard and maybe Ultra or Nightmare from a players perspective.
    Farious

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information