New draft Realm Difficulty Specifications

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• In light of the forthcoming changes to Realm Feature caps here are the new draft Realm Difficulty Specifications. If anyone has any comments please feel free to make them. However, how the specification is finally constituted will be decided by Moderators.

Farious

Human Difficulty Name: Training / Apprentice (excludes the Tutorial Realm)
    Realm Level: 1
    Max number of Citadels: 1
    Max number of ManaFluxes: 1
    Max number of Ruins: 3
    Max number of Towns: 3
    Max number of Villages: 18
    Banish Spell Progress: 0%-50% full upon reaching the Palace with a near perfect run.
    Encounter Outcomes Prohibited: Banish Spell, Disconnect, ReleaseNextMarauder & Time.
    Reinforcement Rates: High Casting Chance Spells: 0-20. Low Casting Chance Spells: 0-1 Spider: 0-1 Undead: 0-1
    Reinforcements Prohibited: Giant, Hellhound, Hydra, Vampire, Sapphire Dragon, Zombie
    Reinforcements per average Wizard Lord: 0-1
    Taboos Prohibited : All.

Special Qualifying Conditions:
    • All battles must be able to be fought with the aid of a Village.
    • Citadels, ManaFluxes, & Palace must be included in at least 1 Town's Rumours.
    • Citadels, ManaFluxes, & Palace must not be on a disconnected island
    • Player must not be forced to abandon the Realm.
    • Undead Reinforcements must be countered by the player being granted easily accessible counter Undead or Undead Slayer Mercs for no gold fee.

Human Difficulty Name: Easy / Lord
    Realm Level: 2/3
    Max number of Citadels: 3/3
    Max number of ManaFluxes: 2/3
    Max number of Ruins: 3
    Max number of Towns: 4
    Max number of Villages: ∞
    Banish Spell Progress: 0%-50% full upon reaching the Palace with a near perfect run.
    Encounter Outcomes Prohibited: Banish Spell, Disconnect, ReleaseNextMarauder & Time.
    Reinforcement Rates: High Casting Chance Spells: 0-20. Low Casting Chance Spells: 0-5 Giant, Hellhound, Hydra, Vampire, Sapphire Dragon, Zombie: 0-1
    Reinforcements Prohibited: None.
    Reinforcements per average Wizard Lord: 1-3
    Taboos Prohibited: Creature, High Casting Chance, Low Casting Chance, Non-Creature.

• All battles must be able to be fought with the aid of a Village.
    • Location of Citadels, ManaFluxes, & Palace must be included in at least 1 Town's Rumours.
    • Player must not be forced to abandon the Realm.
    • Undead Reinforcements must be countered by the player being granted access to counter Undead or Undead Slayer Mercs for no gold fee.

Human Difficulty Name: Medium / King
    Realm Level: 4/5/6
    Max number of Citadels: 3/3/4
    Max number of ManaFluxes: 3/4/4
    Max number of Ruins: 6/8/10
    Max number of Towns: 8
    Banish Spell Progress: 50%-80% full upon reaching the Palace with a near perfect run
    Encounter Outcomes Prohibited: None
    Reinforcement Rates: High Casting Chance Spells: 0-20. Low Casting Chance Spells: 0-10. Undead: 0-5
    Reinforcements per average Wizard Lord: 3
    Taboos Prohibited: None.

• The Palace battle must not be able to be fought with the aid of a Village.
    • At least 1 Citadel must start in an Active state with an AI Wizard Lord placed on it.
    • Location of active Citadels, ManaFluxes, & Palace must be indicated to the player in at least 1 Town's Rumour or Encounter that player must Activate.

Human Difficulty Name: Hard / Demigod
    Realm Level: 7/8/9
    Max number of Citadels: 6/8/10
    Max number of ManaFluxes: 6/8/10
    Max number of Ruins: 12
    Max number of Towns: ∞
    Banish Spell Progress: 50%-99% full upon reaching the Palace with a near perfect run
    Encounter Outcomes Prohibited: None
    Reinforcement Rates: High Casting Chance Spells: 0-10. Low Casting Chance Spells: 0-20.
    Reinforcements per average Wizard Lord: 5

• Citadels & Palace battles must not be able to be fought with the aid of a Village and must be guarded by an AI Lord either directly or indirectly.
    • At least 2 Citadels must start in an Active state with an AI Wizard Lord placed on them.
    • Location of at least 3 Citadels, 3 ManaFluxes, & 1 Palace must be mentioned or revealed in passing but such information can be missed by player. Citadels & ManaFluxes can be placed on tiles inaccessible to Player.
    • Undead Reinforcements must be countered by the player being granted access to counter Undead or Undead Slayer Mercs with some element of difficulty or fee.

Human Difficulty Name: Nightmare / God
    Realm Level: 10/11/12
    Max number of Citadels: 12/24/∞
    Max number of ManaFluxes: 12/24/∞
    Max number of Ruins: ∞
    Max number of Towns: ∞
    Banish Spell Progress: 90%-99% full upon reaching the Palace with a near perfect run.
    Encounter Outcomes Prohibited: None.
    Reinforcement Rates: High Casting Chance Spells: 0-5. Low Casting Chance Spells: 0-20, Undead Creatures: 0-20
    Reinforcements Prohibited: None
    Reinforcements per average Wizard Lord: 6-8

• Citadels, ManaFluxes, & Palace battles must not be able to be fought with the aid of a Village and must be guarded by an AI Lord either directly or indirectly.
    • At least 3 Citadels must start in an Active state with an AI Wizard Lord placed on them.
    • Location of at least 3 Citadels, 3 ManaFluxes, & 1 Palace must be mentioned or revealed in passing but such information can be missed by player. Citadels & ManaFluxes can be placed on tiles inaccessible to Player..
    Farious

• I don't feel that realm design should be prescriptive in this way. Trying to do so restricts creativity on the part of the realm designers and potentially makes the realm design process feel like a chore.

Realm level already hard sets certain factors into realm difficulty, AI level for instance, that should be sufficient.

Realm moderation as a whole should in imho be an advisory function, not something that tries to administer how realms are created.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:I don't feel that realm design should be prescriptive in this way.

This was implemented sometime ago in order to ensure players have an idea of the kind of difficulty of a Realm before entering it and to ensure consistency in the Moderation of Realms.

Farious
    Farious

• Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:I don't feel that realm design should be prescriptive in this way.

This was implemented sometime ago in order to ensure players have an idea of the kind of difficulty of a Realm before entering it and to ensure consistency in the Moderation of Realms.

Farious

The realm level should give players an idea of the kind of difficulty of a realm, this is true. But there's more than one way to skin a cat.

You had a post up about this in February, at which point it was a guideline only, is this still the case? If so fine, but please make this clear. If you're saying that a level x realm can 'only' involve a, b, or c then you'll potentially end up with a load of very samey realms, which then leads to very samey game play experience, and that's not good.

Difficulty at the end of the day is to an extent subjective, as is people's opinion of it. And that can relate to the player, the designer, or the mod.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Totally agree with Spite.

Why not have people design the realm however they want and then the moderator can assign a level to it?

Additionally, having just received moderator feedback on my second realm, I have to say the entire process is so annoying I can't imagine anyone willingly dealing with it. Any realms I design in the future will be just to play on my own :)
    Aka

• larksleep wrote:Why not have people design the realm however they want and then the moderator can assign a level to it?

I would be fine with this but unfortunately we can't.

larksleep wrote:Additionally, having just received moderator feedback on my second realm, I have to say the entire process is so annoying I can't imagine anyone willingly dealing with it. Any realms I design in the future will be just to play on my own :)

That is unfortunate but ensuring one Realm isn't Rejected for being too difficult whilst another is Approved, despite being comparative in difficulty, is the only fair way to treat Designers.

Farious
    Farious

• Farious wrote:
    larksleep wrote:Why not have people design the realm however they want and then the moderator can assign a level to it?

Why not?

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:
    Farious wrote:
    larksleep wrote:Why not have people design the realm however they want and then the moderator can assign a level to it?

Why not?

The Realm Editor used by Moderators is set to Read Only.
    Farious

• It still makes considerably more sense to reply to designers with an option:

Please change A, B, and C to alter your realm difficulty or change the realm level to X

Processes of this nature ultimately result in more creative production when the back and forth between designers and moderators is more of a collaborative and dynamic conversation rather than a top-down, automated decree.
    Aka

• larksleep wrote:Please change A, B, and C to alter your realm difficulty or change the realm level to X

It says in the feedback why the Realm doesn't match the difficulty. If you are unsure how to approach the requested changes or the Realm Level setting then PM me. I'm more than happy to help.

Farious
    Farious

Next

Return to Realm Design

Information