Encounter Outcome: -/+ Realm Score Points

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.

• The thought crossed my mind, and it's seemed to click for me....a simple addition that could make realms more compelling to play through.

So you have the ability to rig side objectives and sub plots with all of the cool encounter tools that were added, but don't really have a means of compelling players to actually experience any of it (without forcing them to do it by threatening with a fail state)

But theirs this whole aspect that is currently under utilized: Realm score

Getting a top score in realms is a nifty idea to encourage playing through realms to maximize results, but as it is, it currently works against all of the side quests and the like as players would be better off just ignoring them and B-Lining it to the realm exit.

BUT! if you could reward players with realm score points, you could easily make completing sidequests more rewarding by giving players a higher score ranking, Rewarding players for actually engaging with the realm their playing, learning it's ins and outs and fulfilling the challenges, and get the highest score, rather then just B-Lining it to the exit.

Could be worth looking into, though it's a shame to think that this could have had a larger effect if implemented earlier in the game's life
    anjovi

• What are all of the current elements and factors of Realms which affect Realm Score? This list may inform how, or if, Realm Score points might be a reward or penalty for certain encounter outcomes.

That said, I'm leery of using the language of "compelling" player behavior. In my perfect Realm, there are multiple different paths to take and decisions to make that could yield a successful outcome.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• NoWorries wrote:What are all of the current elements

Code: Select all
    Total Score = # of Wizard Kings Killed * 500 + # of Wizard Lords Killed * 50 + # of Invaders Killed * 15 - Number of Days

When Realms were still largely strategic this was fine but now they are largely story based it make little sense imho. If a Designer has created an excellent sub-quest or subplot they should be able to reward the Player for taking the time to resolve it.

Farious
    Farious

• +1 Good Idea in the OP

It maybe wouldn't be a bad thing either to let the designer have control over how many points to award for killing each Wizard King, Lord, and Invaders. - You could then setup sub-bosses, and if desired set the invader score to zero (or maybe boost it right up).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• NoWorries wrote:That said, I'm leery of using the language of "compelling" player behavior. In my perfect Realm, there are multiple different paths to take and decisions to make that could yield a successful outcome.

Being able to 'compell' in this way doesn't mean that you would be obliged to. You can already offer multiple paths, whilst Anjovi threatens with fail states. This idea just gives Anjovi et al a lighter set of tools to compell with.

In effect any realm design influences player behaviour according to the wishes of the realm designer, whether that's by pushing them down a set path, or by pushing them to make a choice between multiple paths. Either is way makes for a viable game play experience.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Ope! didn't address this.

Well the thing with multiple paths/approaches.

An example of how this could enhance that:
    1)You have a layout of the map with multiple paths
    2)You create a side quests with various encounters that sprinkle on some bonus points

Now the player can decide whether they're path should veer off a bit to nab these bonus points or whether in their strategy, skipping it would be more viable to save points.

In realms i've created, there is alot of navigating inbetween places that were already explored, short cuts that emerge as they progress, etc. and choosing when to tackle a side quest can be strategically viable, being a mere factor that is manipulated by the player to enhance their run.

Though as of now, i've only been able to reward '- banish spell' and 'reputation' (gold isn't the biggest attractor) and balance my realms in such a way that timing when they finish a quest (to buy them time or possible merc slots for the final palace battle)

It would be nice to offer sidequests as a means to enhancing the score, which would be the ultimate draw for players in coming updates (with guild rankings and the like)

------
    I'd personally like to rework my realms, as i think alot of them are already for this treatment (alot of my fulfilled side quests have at least a 3rd slot that i could allocate to rewarding score points)
    anjovi

Return to Realm Design

Information