Guild Competition/Tournament Ideas Thread

Discussion and development of guilds, including guild lore and recruitment.

• We've created the Guilds & they are mighty fine but how are they going to be promoted? One suggestion that is often muted is a competition or tournament. Therefore, this thread is for those, ideas of a competitive event that involves Guilds either directly or indirectly (via Lore and such). If people are able to come up with an idea or two a Google doc can then be created and the detailed plans for a trial run or pilot put in place with roles allocated. A thread can then be created in the Tournaments section of this Forum with suitable promotion as much as possible.
    Farious

• 1. As we're currently discussing, I'd propose that we run this www.forum.chaos-reborn.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2694 via Custom Games with a player count of upto 6 and a continual long term duration.

Rafi's already stated that it may be possible to run this in game with little development effort and despite it being an unofficial tournament it was popular when it initially launched (before being reset).

2. Run special 1 nightly live events with a varying format that guild (and non guild) members can take part in. With the winner being the team/individuals that perform best on the night. This would potentially keep players logging in to see what any given night's event was.

3. Run a guild based 2v2 or 3v3 competition - Nothing like this currently exists within the game and the format is pretty much made for guild play.
    I'd suggest it could run as a league, or via a cup format. Any given player from a guild can represent their team for fixtures, OR you allow multiple teams from guilds that have sufficent interest.

(Btw - If you're wanting to canvas all players' opinions you might get more visibility in the Tournament's forum, as well as/rather than as a sticky in here where players interested in tournaments may very well not be looking for it)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:3. Run a guild based 2v2 or 3v3 competition - Nothing like this currently exists within the game and the format is pretty much made for guild play.

I particularly like the idea of competitive 2v2 League-like gameplay. Ideally, the matchmaker would randomly assign wizards to teams except (a) if there are two members of the same guild in queue, then they are paired together; and (b) no more than two members of a guild would participate in the same match.

As for other 2v2 or 3v3 competition formats possible in custom matches, it would be great if there was an "Invite Guild" option that would broadcast invitations to the entire guild.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:1. As we're currently discussing, I'd propose that we run this viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2694 via Custom Games with a player count of upto 6 and a continual long term duration.

It is posted here because there is currently no proposal to post in the Tournaments subforum & this relates to Guilds & not Demigods & Gods. Not all Demigods have Guilds nor want them but same Demigods & Gods may be interested reviving the competition you refer to. Additionally, as I said in the opening post, some Guild Masters may want to do a tournament entirely structured to be part of the Lore that does not even use the video game. If other Guild Masters are fine with this then the rules of play can then be established in a separate thread… and so forth.

SpiteAndMalice wrote:(Btw - If you're wanting to canvas all players' opinions you might get more visibility in the Tournament's forum, as well as/rather than as a sticky in here where players interested in tournaments may very well not be looking for it)

As said in the opening post, this is for Guild stakeholders to come up with ideas that can then be posted in tournaments if the idea is a goer and relevant to that subforum. People have put effort into designing Guilds and they should have a say on how they will be used in-game, or in the real world, in my humble opinion by being given the maximum opportunity to do so; no point having a Guilds forum if it is not used.

Farious
    Farious

• Farious wrote:
    SpiteAndMalice wrote:1. As we're currently discussing, I'd propose that we run this viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2694 via Custom Games with a player count of upto 6 and a continual long term duration.

It is posted here because there is currently no proposal to post in the Tournaments subforum & this relates to Guilds & not Demigods & Gods. Not all Demigods have Guilds nor want them but same Demigods & Gods may be interested reviving the competition you refer to. Additionally, as I said in the opening post, some Guild Masters may want to do a tournament entirely structured to be part of the Lore that does not even use the video game. If other Guild Masters are fine with this then the rules of play can then be established in a separate thread… and so forth.

It's the same difference - Call it Tournamant of the Guilds.

No need to make things complicated.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Guild Wars: Chaos Edition

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

• Farious wrote:As said in the opening post, this is for Guild stakeholders to come up with ideas that can then be posted in tournaments if the idea is a goer and relevant to that subforum. People have put effort into designing Guilds and they should have a say on how they will be used in-game, or in the real world, in my humble opinion by being given the maximum opportunity to do so; no point having a Guilds forum if it is not used.

Farious

Well then my say as 'Guild stakeholder' is that guilds should exist to provide a service to the whole playerbase, and that not just guild designers, but all players put effort into the game. As such, all players should have a say in how guilds are used in game.

I therefore feel in the context of this thread that our initial step should be to enable all players to put forward their ideas of how guild competitions should work, and that we as guild leaders should then act as a centralising point to help make those ideas into reality.

This will help to maximise the number of ideas put forward and ultimately lead to a wider 'buy in' to any new tournaments that are created.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• NoWorries wrote:Guild Wars: Chaos Edition

You know it baby! ;-)

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• I 4 1 would be keen for guild vs guild tournament of some kind, be it through custom games or what not.

The bottleneck I see at the moment is guild membership and recruitment, based on info I could find this is the current state of orders:

Baldrlux 8 members
    Cephalopodia 3 members
    Hegemony 2 members
    Boom 2 members
    Anarchy Wolves 1 member
    Anu 1 member

In other words, it would be great if we had 4 or 5 guilds with at least 4 active members each and I think then the time would be ripe for an interguild tourney. Maybe this is a call of action for the leaders then to make things more even and achieve critical mass. And a call of non-action for Baldr :p (you are too successful at clearing the field of recruits :D). I have not thought it through, but maybe there also a parallel way to encourage players to learn about the existence of guilds as a thing rather than putting all the info and recruitment work on the leaders.
    No One is God, but many Humanity | Baldrnox unight | Order of Baldrlux
    celwulf

• Very good points. I agree. Might be interesting if we develop a community culture of recruiting for guilds other than our own. Though FYI, Cephelopodia is the largest with 13 members, and Baldrlux "only" has 7.

Perhaps it also bears repeating that the single biggest impediment to guilds taking off is a depressing lack of awareness. Guilds are pretty much inscrutable even to high level, active wizard kings unless they pay attention closely to these forums. Even then, I've met one or two who were completely unaware that guilds had in-game competitive rankings in Duel and League play so thought guilds were essentially social clubs for veteran players who were involved in custom tournaments. (Not knocking custom tournaments or social clubs, but some potential recruits are more interested in Duel and League matches.) Thus, my personal spam mission at present is simply to educate rather than recruit.

NoWorries
    GOD

Return to Orders and Guilds

Information