Any other VR enthusiasts here?

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
Fluke
DEMIGOD

Any other VR enthusiasts here?

Post by Fluke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Was just wondering if there are any fellow Rift users lurking around here. Assetto Corsa is my current go to VR game at the moment, while Lunar Flight still gets a cargo run most days.

Are you looking forward to the consumer Rift, not bothered, already taken the plunge or just plain haven't had the chance to try it out yet?

DigitalDuck

Re: Any other VR enthusiasts here?

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of Virtua Racing!

... Oh.

I wouldn't mind the Oculus Rift, but the main thing that's holding me back is the price. $350? I could buy a new console for that, and I haven't because I think they're too expensive!
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Strident

Post by Strident » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Real reality gives me motion sickness so I've got no chance of enjoying VR.

If the future of gaming is everyone sitting around with boxes on their heads then I'll be off looking for another hobby. ;)

SlipperyJim

Post by SlipperyJim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 pm

I don't but I'd really like to try in with Minecraft!

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Strident wrote:If the future of gaming is everyone sitting around with boxes on their heads then I'll be off looking for another hobby. ;)
Gaming has always been everyone sitting around with boxes on their heads. The only difference is that those boxes have moved from being 1.5m away to 1.5cm away...
Image Ace of Spades
XBL | YT

Strident

Post by Strident » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:09 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:Gaming has always been everyone sitting around with boxes on their heads. The only difference is that those boxes have moved from being 1.5m away to 1.5cm away...
Nah. Games used to bleed out into the real world. They used to live on our kitchen table, with the whole family taking turns in playing. They used to live in my front room, playing split-screen multiplayer or discussing the course of action in a single-player adventure game. It was a world (a real world) away from sitting there, immersed in your own private world, as far as I'm concerned.

I've probably reached that threshold where I'm too old to understand but I really don't see the appeal of VR. Even if there weren't medical reasons stopping me from enjoying it, it wouldn't be something I'd want to use.

Each to their own, though. I'm interested in watching the technology progress and whether it can ever go mainstream.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Strident wrote:Nah. Games used to bleed out into the real world. They used to live on our kitchen table, with the whole family taking turns in playing.
I'll give you that one. :mrgreen:
Image Ace of Spades
XBL | YT

Fluke
DEMIGOD

Post by Fluke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:I wouldn't mind the Oculus Rift, but the main thing that's holding me back is the price. $350? I could buy a new console for that, and I haven't because I think they're too expensive!
While it certainly isn't throw away money by any regards, it's all relative. I'd say for what you get, it actually quite cheap (certainly cheaper than the last graphics card I bought for example).
SlipperyJim wrote:I don't but I'd really like to try in with Minecraft!

Regards,

Jim
The Minecrift mod is actually really good. It's the only reason I even picked up a copy of Minecraft, as there was a community Rift event being organised. Tunneling your way underground really does make you feel like you're in an enclosed space, and it's actually quite nice to emerge into an underground cavern.
Strident wrote:I've probably reached that threshold where I'm too old to understand but I really don't see the appeal of VR. Even if there weren't medical reasons stopping me from enjoying it, it wouldn't be something I'd want to use.

Each to their own, though. I'm interested in watching the technology progress and whether it can ever go mainstream."
Part of the appeal is that it's the freshest thing to come along in gaming in years. OK, it's been done before, but it's never been done well and affordably. When you play Assetto Corsa for example, it looks like you're sat in a full size car. No multiple monitor setup comes close.

As for the age thing, my dad is closing on 70. He's never been a gamer, never had an interest, yet in the past year, he's spent hours upon hours exploring some more of the less gamey experiences. It gets repeated a lot on the various Rift forums, but it really isn't something that you can truly "get" unless you can try it. If you don't mind me asking, is there a major problem medically that would stop you having a go with one (though do feel free to tell me to sod off if you don't want to discuss that!)?

Strident

Post by Strident » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 pm

If you don't mind me asking, is there a major problem medically that would stop you having a go with one ?
I'd get motion sick and end up throwing up and then feeling ill for the rest of the day. So, I'll give trying one a miss. :)

Yes, I know the new version works better but I get motion sick in real life, from any sort of transport (unless I'm the one driving) and occasionally from first-person games (e.g. Zeno Clash) so no matter how good the kit gets it won't be good enough.

Fluke
DEMIGOD

Post by Fluke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Strident wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, is there a major problem medically that would stop you having a go with one ?
I'd get motion sick and end up throwing up and then feeling ill for the rest of the day. So, I'll give trying one a miss. :)

Yes, I know the new version works better but I get motion sick in real life, from any sort of transport (unless I'm the one driving) and occasionally from first-person games (e.g. Zeno Clash) so no matter how good the kit gets it won't be good enough.
That sucks. I won't harp on about it, but will leave you with one thought - with VR, there's no physical movement (there are some articles that describe the difference between motion sickness and what they're calling simulation sickness). I've seen people post that while they get car sick they don't have a problem with the Rift, yet there are also people who don't get motion sick in real life, but feel ill VR. I must admit, it took me about 2 weeks to get used to the Rift to the point I could use it without any sort of time limit.