Any other VR enthusiasts here?

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
krayzkrok

Re: Any other VR enthusiasts here?

Post by krayzkrok » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 am

DigitalDuck wrote:I wouldn't mind the Oculus Rift, but the main thing that's holding me back is the price. $350? I could buy a new console for that, and I haven't because I think they're too expensive!
That's still the hand-built development version though, if it gets to the mass-produced commercial stage I can't see it remaining so expensive especially if they're after much more widespread adoption.

I have to say I'm a lot more excited about VR than the new consoles, which have been enormously disappointing. VR promises something new, innovation instead of recycling the same stuff that console publishers seem to be happy with.

Fluke
DEMIGOD

Post by Fluke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

krayzkrok wrote:
DigitalDuck wrote:That's still the hand-built development version though, if it gets to the mass-produced commercial stage I can't see it remaining so expensive especially if they're after much more widespread adoption.

I have to say I'm a lot more excited about VR than the new consoles, which have been enormously disappointing. VR promises something new, innovation instead of recycling the same stuff that console publishers seem to be happy with.
I'll agree with all of that. I picked up a PS4 mainly because I'd actually got quite a bit of use from my PS3 (which I only bought quite a bit into it's lifespan). However, the PS4 has pretty much sat unused, whereas my Rift, despite it's current lack of lengthier content, gets used almost daily.

The price is something that they've always being acutely aware of. Palmer has basically said that unless it's affordable, it's pretty much pointless. Since the FB acquisition, they've also repeatedly mentioned about selling commercial units at cost. You've got to think that they'll be looking at an online software store as a revenue stream, and we know they're moving towards being a publisher as well. If they can hit $299/£199 as an initial launch point, I think they're going to move a lot of units.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Wed May 07, 2014 10:36 am

How do you know that this isn't one? A VR game that is, you think that you're really reading this forum post, but you could be sat on a space station somewhere with a VR headset on thinking that you're in the year 2014 reading about VR.

(You've got to love Rene Descartes, if it wasn't for him we'd have never seen Carrie-
Anne Moss wearing all that leather.) ;-)

That Occulus Rift does look pretty cool though eh?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Fluke
DEMIGOD

Post by Fluke » Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:How do you know that this isn't one? A VR game that is, you think that you're really reading this forum post, but you could be sat on a space station somewhere with a VR headset on thinking that you're in the year 2014 reading about VR.

(You've got to love Rene Descartes, if it wasn't for him we'd have never seen Carrie-

If my life is a VR game, I want my money back :P

But yeah, the Rift is very cool. I'm about 2 weeks shy of having my DK1 for a year, and (probably apart from a 360 joypad) have never owned any other peripheral that has had as much use (and I have a G27 and a Warthog). Can't wait for the DK2 :)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Fluke wrote:
SpiteAndMalice wrote:How do you know that this isn't one? A VR game that is, you think that you're really reading this forum post, but you could be sat on a space station somewhere with a VR headset on thinking that you're in the year 2014 reading about VR.

If my life is a VR game, I want my money back :P
:lol: That was a class reply!

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.