Question about forum games

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 am

• For the last few years, I have designed a game for my Facebook friends to commemorate my birthday. This year's version turned out to be quite complex and interesting, so I would be more than happy to run it here on this forum.

Before I do that however, I want to make sure that this is an approved use of the Off Topic forum. I can understand if people feel like running games of this sort in a forum for a game in construction might be considered bad form, so I'll wait until I receive approval from the mods before I post anything else.

If anybody else played the game Grochi Wars, I used some of the basic concepts from that and added a board to it (so instead of building factories you need to conquer territories on the board, which puts you into proximity with enemies).
    ////// T S U R T //////
    /// I ///////////// E ///
    /// N //////////// W //
    //// RECURRENCE //
    Obsilium

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am

• Call me a grouch but I've never been too fond of forum games. I frequent the Off Topic section on many forums but I've seen quite a few get cluttered by the addition of various forum games; What Are You Listening to Now?, One Word Story, Ban The User Above You, Photoshop Tennis, Corrupt a Wish, etc, etc, etc. Some of these games can actually be quite fun (photoshop tennis is hilarious when you have a few graphic designers in the mix) but they tend to push the regular threads off the first page which might as well be a death sentence.

A compromise would be to give them their own sub-forum but that always seems a bit silly to me... but that's just my opinion. Maybe the community here would welcome forum games.
    Thanos

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm

• Never played, but sounds fun.
    Thanos does have a point, to some extent. I agree that perhaps forum games should get their own forum. However, at this early stage, I would say go for it! I doubt we'll have any real issues if you do post your birthday game here.
    Prudent Viper

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

• Sorry for the late reply, it's fine to post these in OT for now, if we end up with loads of them they'll be moved to a sub forum of OT so they don't take up the whole front page.

Personally I don't like them although I'll have a re-read of your when I get chance as it sounds much better than any forum game I've seen before - it's normally horrendous stuff like count to infinity for no apparent reason :roll:
    worto03

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 pm

• something like mafia/werewolf would probably really appeal to the chaos crowd :)
    cheezopath
    GOD

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:55 pm

• Lets play!
    wizard1

Return to Off Topic

Information