Phoenix Point - Julian Gollop's next game

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn

• Just Awesome... it's hard to say for sure but based on that screenshot something tells me that the combat system might be similar to the BLiTZ combat system used in Valkyria Chronicles, I kinda hope so.

From what we've heard so far I'm sure that PP is going to have some elements of VC mixed in with the best aspects of UFO Defence. Did you see the pic that was posted on the Linked-in site to?https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/jc/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAdVAAAAJDU2NjQ0MDU0LTU0YjEtNDY3Yy1hNTQyLWU5NWZmNWUwMTdjNg.jpg
    You can see what is most likely the defensive base, its radar system and a 'Skyranger'.

I'm getting pretty hyped about this... wonder if there will be a forum, I have a ton of ideas for squad abilities/perks/potentials etc :)
    Mazy

• I strongly doubt we'll see anything like VC (or Mordheim, to take a similar example). According to first statements it's essentially as simple as X-COM meets XCOM.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

• Now this is some amazing shite 8-) .
    TΛPETRVE

• I agree. The description of the game in that interview... spectacular.

NoWorries
    GOD

• I wonder if those screenshots are just mockups, or if they're from the actual prototype. Would be cool to see some recorded gameplay footage.
    TΛPETRVE

• This game is sounding genius already, pretty much everything about it. When the whole biologically transformed aliens thing was first mentioned I immediately thought it would be awesome if it was just like The Mist and how cool it would be if some of creatures evolved into Shadow of the Colossus size beasts...

By the looks of things they are going to use the creeping mist thing to create a lot of the tension, this could add a different layer of fear to the usual 'I hope the bad guy's shots miss my troops'.. if a lot of the troop movement and targeting plays out in first person or third person view the mist could make you quite nervy, hopefully unnerving creature sounds will be used a lot to, to ramp the tension up further, hearing what you can't see is a great concept.. X-Com: The survival horror reboot.

There's a lot of good lore themes to develop to, the ecological disaster backstory, evolutionary biology. The links to TFTD and XCom Apocalypse are interesting to... post-apocalyptic (minus the zombies)... Anything with an underlying ecological/environmental message (that also involves evolution) is always a good thing... Don't do global warming kids, unless you want to get your guts ripped out by a Crabman one day..

I still think that a manual targeting/aiming system would be awesome for this, it already looks like it is half way there with the selectable body-part targeting stuff, manual positioning of the reticle/cross-hair makes you feel more involved with the shot (it would still be an RNG roll that incorporates the units accuracy stat etc)

I think in particular the use of procedural generation in relation to the enemies composition is the biggest thing that JG is on to, it looks like he has found a way to keep all the weapon tiers and weapon types viable throughout the whole game, perhaps to ensure that there wont really be any particular go-to OP weaponry as such, sounds like a good way to get max replay-ability from an SP game (I think it was mentioned that maps are to be proc-gen to? or maybe it was locations). Sounds like they are really working at ways to make the progression non linear to (and I hope the SP campaign takes months to complete!).

Looks like humans and aliens both use earth based tech, the aliens probably research, interrogate and steal from us in this one... Geo-scape looks great!... hope there's some kind of 'inventory management' stuff going on when handling the troops in the field.. and tank-like vehicles (not mechs!)... I think the first thing that I want to do in the game is join the Human League (knew there was gonna be an 80's reference somewhere) and declare war on the Sanctuary and Advena Domine, them lot are going down first, the aliens can wait ...I wonder what kind of TU/AP system will be used...
    Mazy

• yeah....this sounds pretty amazing. A overall game design along with an already available proto-type..looking pretty good...
    anjovi

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Information