Did someone mention Elite?

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
SlipperyJim

Re: Did someone mention Elite?

Post by SlipperyJim » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 pm

That wasn't me on the ED forums.

I don't have it yet but know that I plan to :)

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

Houchou
DEMIGOD

Post by Houchou » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
PhilStormBorn wrote:I'm playing the Beta so if there is anything anyone wants to know just ask. Docking is more involved that the classic, you don't just fly into the revolving letter box. You fly through it into the station interior and then find your assigned landing pad. You have to actually navigate an exit as well. I'd say it is easier in the small starting ships but I'd imagine they'll be a bit of scraping involved with anything larger.

I don't think you understand what I meant by "hoping that docking actually exists in the final game".

My three-hour long docking ordeal involved:
- Requesting docking permission
- Re-requesting docking permission because it immediately timed out.
- Re-re-requesting docking permission etc.
- Finally getting docking permission, only for the game to change its mind and leaving me re-re-re-requesting docking permission.
- Finally getting stable docking permission, only for the game to change its mind about which bay I need to park in about 6927694924 before branding me as "loitering" and shooting me to death.
- Being shot to death randomly by the occasional idiot during re-re-re-re-requesting docking permission.
- Finally getting ready to park in a bay before the entire space station disappears.
- Repeating every single one of the above steps five times.
- Finally getting stable docking permission, confirmed bay, space station persists, game doesn't change its mind, make sure landing gear is deployed, go through the stupidly fiddly landing procedure and... nothing. The game just sat there for a few minutes, until my docking clearance ran out and I got shot to death by lasers.

At that point I gave up. So yeah, hoping that docking actually exists in the final game.

Wow that auto-dock computer from II never sounded so appealing :shock:
info, attack space
AI exploits game's own glitch
such things are legend

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Houchou wrote:Wow that auto-dock computer from II never sounded so appealing :shock:

The docking sequence doesn't really add anything to gameplay for me anyway - it was okay in the original because you could go screaming in at the most ridiculous angle ever and just squeeze through the entrance, but now? Requesting docking procedures isn't fun, but it's necessary in order to get to the also not fun part of parking. It's not difficult, just dull. I'd happily take automated docking - maybe it'd actually work then! :mrgreen:
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

PhilStormBorn

Post by PhilStormBorn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Yeah, I didn't get all that from "hoping that docking actually exists in the final game".

I've had the re-request thing. I've had occupied pads, backwards pads, disappearing stations, sudden shifts in station position caused by lag resulting in crashes. But I've also had to boost out under fire when I ran out of time chasing cargo canisters around the interior, which was fun. It seems to be a lot more stable in the last week or so. I like the docking myself. Docking was a huge part of the original and I'm sure Julian is facing similar dilemmas when creating a modern version of a classic game. Having watched a sidewinder try to dock with turbos on and come face to face with an anaconda going the other direction, that took up the whole letterbox, I wouldn't change it. The anaconda was completely unaffected as far as I could see and the sidewinder was like a bug hitting a car windscreen. I almost crashed myself I was laughing so hard. It's only a beta and I'm getting priceless moments out of it. It will all be fixed and docking computers probably won't be too expensive.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:11 pm

PhilStormBorn wrote:It seems to be a lot more stable in the last week or so. I like the docking myself. Docking was a huge part of the original and I'm sure Julian is facing similar dilemmas when creating a modern version of a classic game. Having watched a sidewinder try to dock with turbos on and come face to face with an anaconda going the other direction, that took up the whole letterbox, I wouldn't change it. The anaconda was completely unaffected as far as I could see and the sidewinder was like a bug hitting a car windscreen. I almost crashed myself I was laughing so hard. It's only a beta and I'm getting priceless moments out of it. It will all be fixed and docking computers probably won't be too expensive.

Oh, absolutely. There can be hilarious consequences for those not doing what they should (true in any game, but especially in something like Elite), and I had great fun docking in the original.

It's just a bit disappointing that, not finding the new docking fun, I'll have to endure it in-between the fun parts until I get the opportunity to buy the option of removing that part of the game; it's also that this is the cause of a lot of the bugs in the "beta" (it's not nearly a proper beta, but whatever) and seems to cause a lot of lag too. (Speaking of lag, why does the game still run at a low framerate for me when I'm literally miles away from everything looking at empty space? My computer isn't that bad!)

But yeah, I'll give it another go when I get some time to myself, and hopefully there'll be a massive improvement in Alpha 6. :mrgreen:
Image Ace of Spades
XBL | YT

tors

Post by tors » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Obviously we have Chaos Reborn fans on the Elite forums aswell... or am I mixing things up perhaps.. ;)

Thread: Wow. The eagle completely changed the game for me

PhilStormBorn

Post by PhilStormBorn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I feel a lot better facing eagles as long as I've got my shield.

toutai

Post by toutai » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 pm

PhilStormBorn wrote:I feel a lot better facing eagles as long as I've got my shield.

lol somehow it feels you ment chaos reborn here but don't think u did. btw the game looks nice indeed but as soon as I saw the price tag my thought became like my next row:

(-_-") "... yeah not likely I'll get it now or else it'll be my entire food money for 1 month if I get the premium for both the game and updates."
Luck is something that gets weird when I'm there
Twitch: Ferolia
Steam/Skype: joreason (renamed myself Toutai)
E-mail: the_death_warrior@hotmail.com

psykokow
DEMIGOD

Post by psykokow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm

I am an Elite Dangerous backer and LOOKING Forward to Beta launch on Tuesday 29th (Tomorrow).

Will be taking to the skies again and trying not to crash too much.
Psykokow: Son of Hathor

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Oh hi psykokow. :mrgreen:

So I got around to playing the Beta today. Flew up to the Eranin station and requesting docking... and it let me dock! Amazing, it's almost reached the stage I'd expect from an alpha! Bought some stuff, and set out to make a profit at Asellus. And then...

| DOCKING REQUEST SENT |
BEAGLE 2 LANDING: DOCKING CLEARANCE TIMED OUT. RESEND REQUEST.
| DOCKING REQUEST SENT |
| DOCKING REQUEST SENT |
| DOCKING REQUEST SENT |
| DOCKING REQUEST SENT |

For ten minutes, for a total of what must have been fifty or sixty attempts.

So I guess, one station down, 99,999,999 to go? At this rate, we'll be able to go there for real first.
Image Ace of Spades
XBL | YT