NON-CR GAMING SESSIONS

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

• Al-Khwarizmi wrote:Picking it up now gives "20 packs and 10 Pandora passes" for €22.99. Is this worth it or is it better to just wait for f2p? I'm pretty convinced I'm going to like that game.

I haven't played it that much but first impressions are that it's a really casual card game and pretty addictive, at the moment it's all about trying to earn cards because it's a deck builder.

It's easy to learn how to play, it's fairly simple but there are something like 274 cards, so It's going to take a lot of playing hours to learn them properly (and fully assess which stuff is imbalanced). It's not information overload though because the small hand-size almost plays itself. Despite that there does seem to be a lot of tactics involved..

The devs acknowledge that it will still take time to balance all the card stats and mechanics, I expect it will still technically be a work-in-progress EA game for months to come...

I don't know if it can be balanced though, there's just so many cards, already I can see that some factions might generally be better than others not because of stats but due to mechanics, for example there's a faction that can do lots of passive damage (kinda like lots of ranged attacks) which always seems to trump the other factions (I'm a newb though so it's still too early to say if this is actually the case).

The SP is going to be quite big (20 hrs), you can unlock a lot of cards this way (I think I've unlocked about 10 packs so far).

I'm not a huge fan of deck builders or F2P, but for now I can look past this, it's fun playing it and learning what the cards do. Time will tell if it's going to be a good competitive game or not, already I've read one comment claiming that 90% of the league players all use the same deck (remember that faction I mentioned), I don't trust this claim 100% though.

And of course it will always have a question mark over whether it is P2W or not because it is a F2P game with microtransactions, I guess on some level it might be P2W.. but I doubt I'll ever be interested in playing it competitively (league), but it is a nice casual game to play against people on your friends list.

Also... Duelyst will be available F2P on steam on 23rd Aug. I haven't tried it yet, it might be ok.

It goes without saying that none of these games will ever be in the same league as CR!
    Mazy

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:34 pm

• I recently picked up a game called Atlas Reactor, after seeing ObsidianBeard stream it, and I'm quite surprised I hadn't heard much more from this title before. (Although it did win best PVP game at Pax West). I believe it has the potential to become an eSports hit, even though it is in essence a TBS game. It has some elements of DOTA/LoL and Xcom, but Frozen Synapse (already mentioned in this thread) is probably the closest match in terms of gameplay mechanics. Definitely a lot more fast-paced though, more like Frozen Synapse on Speed. :mrgreen:

• The game plays out 4v4 like FS, except here it's 8 actual players, not 2 players with 4 characters each
    • Just like FS, it's turn-based using simultaneous turns. Which means all players plot their moves at the same time, then the actions are resolved.
    • Due to how the game works with simultaneous turns and different phases (prep, dash, battle and move), predicting the enemy's moves and bluffing are just as essential as in FS or CR, but combined with good teamwork as in Dota/Lol/TF2 and others.
    • Cover works exactly as in Xcom (full and half cover)
    • Choice between different freelancers with unique skills. Getting to know all of these is part of the difficulty at the start.
    • The characters have some cool flavor, the game's UI is pretty straightforward and intro/teasers are really well-made.
    • Game is free-to-play, although you are stuck with a weekly rotation of freelancers and a few other limitations. If you buy the game for 20 bucks you can use them all freely. Business model seems pretty fair.
    • Since yesterday 30/09, stats were reset for everyone in early access, but the official launch is only this Tuesday 04/10, so you can still get a little headstart by playing this weekend.
    • You need to setup a Glyph account to be able to play

Overall, despite my limited playtime so far, I'd recommend it. And I think it could be fun to play with friends.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Oh you ****king fool - you left us carrying your useless pain and now we're trapped here until we die. Remains, remains, the residue. Remains, remains, now is it you ???
    (The Legendary Pink Dots - Spike)
    Mr_Twister

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

• When I watched OB's stream I thought he was controlling all 4 characters, so you only control one? That makes sense, I heard it was something like 20 second turns, so you're only moving one unit in a team of 4? ..VOIP is essential then?

The way you have to pre-empt and predict opponents moves seems quite interesting. I watched some vids, the core mechanic reminds me of the bit in CR when you have to predict where to target a meteor shower. FS on speed seems like a good analogy lol
    Mazy

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 pm

• Mazy wrote:When I watched OB's stream I thought he was controlling all 4 characters, so you only control one? That makes sense, I heard it was something like 20 second turns, so you're only moving one unit in a team of 4? ..VOIP is essential then?

The way you have to pre-empt and predict opponents moves seems quite interesting. I watched some vids, the core mechanic reminds me of the bit in CR when you have to predict where to target a meteor shower. FS on speed seems like a good analogy lol

Yup, you control only 1 unit in a team of 4. There's the typical team roles : tank, damage dealer and support, although each character is entirely unique, no 2 characters have the same ability. Currently 20 characters with 5 abilities each, that's a lot to digest at first. And knowing your enemies' and teammates abilities is essential to success. Especially when you have only 8 seconds to plan your turn. :shock:

I haven't used VOIP, but I guess at higher levels that would be essential, yeah. With such short timers, typing chat messages isn't ideal. Fortunately the game has Discord integration.

Metero shower is a good analogy, although Frozen Synapse is still a better comparison due to simultaneous turns. For instance if you saved up enough energy, you can use your ultra. Assume your character has a strong AOE ultra, good enemies will see you have max energy and will expect you to use your ultra. So they may use their dash ability to move to safety (dash phase happens before battle phase when the ultra takes place). But knowing this, you can also hold off using your ultra and make them waste their dash, which has a cooldown, then hit them hard the next turn. Even better if you can place a trap somewhere in their dash trajectory. May be hard to predict, but very satisfying when successful. 8-)

Pretty sure this is a game you would thoroughly enjoy Mazy, if it wasn't for the ultra-short turn timer :mrgreen:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Oh you ****king fool - you left us carrying your useless pain and now we're trapped here until we die. Remains, remains, the residue. Remains, remains, now is it you ???
    (The Legendary Pink Dots - Spike)
    Mr_Twister

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 pm

• Mr_Twister wrote:Pretty sure this is a game you would thoroughly enjoy Mazy, if it wasn't for the ultra-short turn timer :mrgreen:

Well yeah there is that lol ..but I'm also pretty sure I don't have the specs for it... what's with all these devs putting graphics in their games man!.. couldn't they have just made it in a cool 8 bit retro pixel style!
    Mazy

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 am

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Information