Elite Dangerous

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

• I've noticed a couple of CR players are also on Elite Dangerous so if anyone wants to look me up, send me abuse, kill me :) whatever, I'm CMDR Justinian Octavius & on MobiusPvE & am flying the bright white, easy to target from a distance :), Viper MkIV... I've made my 'base' my fraction's HQ, Synteini, so am usually around there.

Anyway, here is also a couple of vids: me docking (see it ain't that hard, even I can do it!): https://youtu.be/XIew269mTAo
    ... and in combat against a Federal Assault Ship: https://youtu.be/91Ov06Tc21k

For anyone who hasn't tried ED it is a great game, though the first week can feel like a you're up against a brick wall until everything clicks. You can basically choose your own goals for what you want to be, passenger carrier, trader, military agent etc plus there is an ongoing background story arc involving aliens. Anyhow, it's well worth a look imho.

Farious
    Realm Designer, King Backer, Demigod, Realm Moderator & Wiki Admin.
    Graduate of Chaos & Lords of Chaos.

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 pm

• I'm CMDR Starborne in Elite Dangerous.

I was an early backer of the game, but I didn't get in to it seriously until I got a flight stick HOTAS set up and a VR headset. My god, the game is beautiful and functional in VR. Though I recommend a flight stick as sufficient to enjoy the game.

There is a steep learning curve. The grind is real. But if you ever wanted to realize dreams of a space pilot doing all sorts of things, this is it. Also, the devs add substantial content a couple of times each year as part of a 10-year development plan.

NoWorries
    GOD

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:02 am

• NoWorries wrote:Though I recommend a flight stick as sufficient to enjoy the game.

I'm using a keyboard & a mouse but with the mouse axis controls disabled so it's basically a throttle & weapon control extension thingy :) . Everything else I'm 'typing!'

NoWorries wrote:a VR headset

I can imagine it's utterly stunning, but with my rig & budget that won't be possible! My next upgrade will probably be 4k, I've already got 100s of ED screenshots in HD & would love the extra detail from Ultra HD.

NoWorries wrote:There is a steep learning curve. The grind is real. But if you ever wanted to realize dreams of a space pilot doing all sorts of things, this is it.

One of the reasons there is a steep leaning curve though is because there is so much to do now in game! & once you've got the basics everything else is usually pretty commonsense & easy to work out. Case & point, he's me making a semi-mess of using Collection Limpets, first time not perfect, but lesson learned: https://youtu.be/dtzz3oIvn00

NoWorries wrote:Also, the devs add substantial content a couple of times each year as part of a 10-year development plan.

Yep, avatars coming next plus a 'new view.' Really curious about this... I'm guessing, hoping, we'll finally get a proper 'bridge' shot... I mean for ships with multicrew they'll have to really! I'd be surprised if it's anymore than a static shot or one that the camera isn't locked down in, but heck, one more step to being able to work around your ship!

Absolutely love this game!

Farious

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 am

• Farious wrote:
    NoWorries wrote:a VR headset

I can imagine it's utterly stunning, but with my rig & budget that won't be possible! My next upgrade will probably be 4k, I've already got 100s of ED screenshots in HD & would love the extra detail from Ultra HD.

I'd totally get a VR headset ahead of a 4K monitor for Elite. The functionality is... staggering. The field of vision, especially in combat, is... it's hard to go back. Moreover, you can select things just by looking at them and then toggle them with a push of a button. E.g., flying through super cruise and a USS emission pops up? Look at and then click a joystick button and you're off and away. A VR headset and even a cheap HOTUS make the game magic.

Oh, and did I mention that when you move your joystick, you have a VR hand that mirrors the movement? And if you throttle up with your HOTUS throttle, your VR hand does that, too? The immersion is immense. (So much so that I had to take it slow getting used to the headset because for a bit I battled motion sickness.)

Magic, I say. Alas, not the Chaos Reborn type. (Maybe these be our wizards after a few millennia of wizard battles when mankind have long ago destroyed the gods and finally realized the visions of Baldr...?)

NoWorries
    GOD

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 pm

• NoWorries wrote:Magic, I say. Alas, not the Chaos Reborn type. (Maybe these be our wizards after a few millennia of wizard battles when mankind have long ago destroyed the gods and finally realized the visions of Baldr...?)

1st Person Chaos Reborn with a VR helmet on would be pretty neat actually... Though I'm not so sure that I'd enjoy the view when blobbed. ;-)

SPITE NIGHT 21! - Thursday 22 JUne at 20:00 GMT on the Chaos Reborn discord channel.

Chief tentacle arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm

• NoWorries wrote:Oh, and did I mention that when you move your joystick, you have a VR hand that mirrors the movement? And if you throttle up with your HOTUS throttle, your VR hand does that, too? The immersion is immense. (So much so that I had to take it slow getting used to the headset because for a bit I battled motion sickness.)

Yikes! but yeah, I heard a lot about VR & motion sickness but like all thing once you're used to it its sorted & I can imagine how immersive it is - even in 'crappy' HD its stunning - watched a solar flare yesterday - wow & visited Farseer Inc for the first time & crikey - it has huge bloomin' tower/lighthouse/eye of Sauron thing sticking out of it! Amazing!

NoWorries wrote:Magic, I say. Alas, not the Chaos Reborn type. (Maybe these be our wizards after a few millennia of wizard battles when mankind have long ago destroyed the gods and finally realized the visions of Baldr...?)

Aren't half the bobbleheads from some magic-esq game Frontier made? Maybe there is some pan-dimensional magical voodoo going on!... :)

#ChaosReborn stuff:
    Wiki | My Videos
    Farious

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 pm

• Maybe we should start a Chaos-themed Elite faction in the game.... Might even be able to get Allen Stroud's help, as he helped create the lore for both games. :)

NoWorries
    GOD

Return to Off Topic

Information