Does "Monster Ex Inferna" "work" in Latin?

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn

• Some of you guys know Latin, surely?

I've been making a monster truck game with my son.
    There's some chance I may actually release it in some form, to the extent that I might register a domain and set up a website.

Unfortunately, Max's name "Monster Crush 5" is probably no good (at least 2 "Monster Crush" apps exist already), so I need something different.

Monster.ExInferna.Rocks is available, but I don't want to be all "Romanes eunt domus" (I don't want the latin for "Monster", particularly, though, either, as I want "Monster" to be googleable).

Google says it works, but Google has some funny ideas about translation.

So: is the name a valid mash-up for "Monster from Hell" (/from the underworld, /from the hells)?

Or: What would *you* call a game aimed at under 10s (probably):

The game is about driving monster trucks around a fairly large open world. It has local co-op. You can do stunts (which the game may notice or not, haven't decided), actual races, for-fun PvLocalP or PvAI races, and has playground games like flamethrower tag, hide and seek, and a car-ta-pult in it. There will probably be hard-to-reach "secret" places/ environments like in original Doom. It's generally chilled, not competitive, there are no mandatory or even suggested objectives. So: nothing that already exists as a Googleable game or other obvious IP infringement:)
    RafiRomero

• What would *you* call a game aimed at under 10s

''Battlefield'' ;-)

Why not just something simple like 'Monster Truck Mania' ?

I'd personally avoid latin if you're aiming at 10 year olds.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• Hope the trucks have nitro's dude, you gotta have nitro boosts in a monster truck game.. You could use the word 'nitro' in the title then, like 'Nitro Trucks' or something.. 'Off-Road Monsters' maybe? ..Hmm It is hard to find a title that isn't taken.

How bout situate the game on the Moon.. the reduced gravity allows for serious hang-time off jumps, lots of air, lots of tricks.. Have the off-road racetracks set in big dust-bowls (with ramps) with names like 'Sea of tranquility' etc.. name the game 'Moonster Trucks'.

I don't know latin but google translate says 'Inferna' means 'grave', and 'Ex Inferna' means 'from the grave'.. 'ab inferno' apparently means 'from hell' ..and 'Infernum' means 'hell'? (I dunno, maybe they all work) ..Situate the game in hell and call it 'Truckin Infernum'?

This glossary of monster truck terms may help with names (at least with naming the tricks, if not with an actual game title) http://thenewswheel.com/glossary-common ... finitions/
    Mazy

• Moonster trucks! That is certainly going to have to be a game mode!
    Also contemplating a "Pocket Legaue" game-mode. Is to snooker what Rocket League is to football.
    RafiRomero

• Monstrum ab Inferno would be correct.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

• Clumsy/Monstrous Messers
    Last edited by blobka on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    In Gary We Trust
    blobka

• TΛPETRVE wrote:Monstrum ab Inferno would be correct.

TΛPETRVE wins the biscuit! Thanks!
    RafiRomero

• Any chance of a preview Stream Rafi?
    ahMostyn

• Ehh, my alter-ego CGR is streaming some Chaos tonight at 20:30 UK time; he might be persuaded.
    However, there's not that much to see yet, it's still pre-alpha. There are 6 trucks with different behaviour, one of which is quite monster truck-ish. There are some prefab environments, and a little bit of stunt stuff and some basic races. There's no directed level design, however, and not much to do yet (beyond co-op flamethrower tag:). Also, the sound is awful:D
    I really want to get the physics right before I start doing a load of work on level design, but it is slow going with all the other stuff I have on in my life.
    I've had two children independently wet themselves rather than come away for a toilet break, so it is so far at least playing well in front of the target audience:)
    RafiRomero

• That's cool Rafi, but, can you post a link to the vid here please? ;)
    In Gary We Trust
    blobka

Next

Return to Off Topic

Information