Game controllers

Any discussion not specifically related to Chaos Reborn
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm

• Hey, I just thought I'd ask which game controllers people are using for PC gaming?

We've tried both Xbox and Playstation controllers in the past, but has anyone tried anything different, such as the steam controller, with much success?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

• It's hard to recommend the steam controller unless your into FPS or 3rd person action games as they tend to make the most of the gyro motion controls (it's surprisingly immersive, though you'd want some practice before playing multiplayer with mouse/keyboard players)

It's not bad for turn based games either, though if you already had a wireless keyboard and mouse, this is probably preferred, especially for games that use hot keys.

If your mainly playing turnbased games with the occasional 2-4 player couch gaming games, i'd just try to find the cheapest xbox like controllers you could find and get a wireless keyboard(with track pad) I tend to get them when i occasionally find them in thrift stores.
    anjovi

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 am

• Just a basic Logitech (wired). I use it because it feels just like a traditional PlayStation controller (I think I prefer that style of twin stick over the non symmetrical Xbox style).

I did try a wireless one first but constantly changing the batteries becomes annoying (it will only operate at peak performance for a small time). Also, at times I could feel the input lag from it not being directly connected to pc.. so it has to be wired, for consistent responsiveness.
    Mazy

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 am

• anjovi wrote:It's hard to recommend the steam controller unless your into FPS or 3rd person action games as they tend to make the most of the gyro motion controls (it's surprisingly immersive, though you'd want some practice before playing multiplayer with mouse/keyboard players)

It's for my wife actually, and I'd suspect that she's wanting one for some 3rd person games and action RPGs... Nier, or Victor Vran, that kind of stuff.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 am

• Mazy wrote: Also, at times I could feel the input lag from it not being directly connected to pc.. so it has to be wired, for consistent responsiveness.

I never even realised that that was a thing - Now it makes sense why I keep getting my arse handed to me by all the kids playing Battlefield on PS4... All these years, I just thought it was my dwindling reaction times.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am

• (btw, I don't play FPS or "twitch" games)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RafiRomero ... ed/353370/
    ^^^My thoughts on the Steam controller (it's trash), although I've not used it for FPS.

I prefer a wireless XBOX 360 controller, although you'll also need a USB thingy plugged into your PC. I prefer it partly because I already have rechargeable battery packs for it, and partly because I got it before the other controllers I have existed.

I have an XBOX one controller, which can be used wirelessly via Bluetooth. I found the range to be poorer than my 360, but it's OK. By default, it's not rechargable, but think you can get rechargable battery packs.

I have a PS4 controller, that can also be used wirelessly via Bluetooth. It's slightly more awkward to get it to work (you need to download an install something like ds4windows.com). On the other hand, it is rechargeable by default (just plug it into a USB thing) and the charge lasts ages.

They all "feel" the same to me, except for the Steam controller, which I really don't like, aside from the compatibility issues. I've heard that if you have the time to spare to mess around with it, the Steam controller can work well, but I have no idea why I'd want to have to configure a controller, I just want to pick it up and play.
    RafiRomero

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm

• I have the Logitech f710 and the Steam Controller and I like both very much. The Steam Controller is very customisable and works with everything (and if it doesn't support natively, you can make it work via customisation). My only complaints are is that it is a bit bulky and, contrary to what Anjovi said, I actually find it almost impossible with First Person Shooters, but fine with everything else.

I have gone through about 3 XBox 360 Controllers and I hate them with a passion.
    MattyRasker

Return to Off Topic

Information