Snapshot News

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 pm

• Is there a reason why the price drop wasn't announced on Steam? Last announcement was September, for v1.12. I do believe that if people are following a game on Steam, they get direct notification when announcements are made.

If there was, please correct me, but I can't see anything :(
    MattyRasker

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 pm

• MattyRasker wrote:Is there a reason why the price drop wasn't announced on Steam? Last announcement was September, for v1.12. I do believe that if people are following a game on Steam, they get direct notification when announcements are made.

I think that only happens if it's on your wishlist.
    UnstableVoltage

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:34 pm

• UnstableVoltage wrote:
    MattyRasker wrote:Is there a reason why the price drop wasn't announced on Steam? Last announcement was September, for v1.12. I do believe that if people are following a game on Steam, they get direct notification when announcements are made.

I think that only happens if it's on your wishlist.

You can "Follow" a game, and I'm sure thats when you get Steam notifications of games that post announcements.

I get notifications from Chaos Reborn because I follow it. I get no notifications from games on my wishlist.
    MattyRasker

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:45 pm

• It could well be worth sending out a kickstarter update too, if that's still possible, there'll be a good number of people that could be reached and who would help in pushing the news out/badgering any still unbadgered mates.

For that matter, is the price change announced on the Chaos Reborn website?

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:44 am

• I would have thought kickstarter or the like would be great for phoenix point. I suspect that a remake of a game as old as chaos and of this genre was a much harder sell but phoenix point might do way better. Can you part fund games on ks? getting the rest from other sources.

sorry to hear that there wont be much in the way of updates to look forward to i suspect at this point though any updates except for languages would mostly just be for the existing players and wouldnt generate much in the way of income.

I consider myself in semi-retirment in the realm of chaos but look forward to a revival at some point in the future.

GL JG Thanks for all the hard work.
    PRETENAMA
    Incarnadine

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 pm

• Incarnadine wrote: Can you part fund games on ks? getting the rest from other sources.

Technically, yes. If you needed $1mil to make your game and you were getting $300k from another source, you could set the KS goal to $700k for example. However, a KS does need to hit the KS goal to get any of the money from backers.

I think the issue with trying to crowd fund PP is that it is a much more ambitious project that Chaos Reborn was, and is likely to require a much larger sum of cash. Given that Chaos Reborn only just managed to hit it's KS goal, and that there were some issues throughout development, it makes it harder for people to be willing to back future projects by the same developer.

However, as you say, I personally think there is a much larger market for the genre of game that PP is than there was for CR. Maybe CR's failing was just that it was too niche.
    UnstableVoltage

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 am

• UnstableVoltage wrote:However, as you say, I personally think there is a much larger market for the genre of game that PP is than there was for CR. Maybe CR's failing was just that it was too niche.

If the game was released for the first time in something approximating its current state, then I think the game would have done much better, attracted more press early on, etc.

NoWorries
    GOD

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:49 am

• UnstableVoltage wrote:Maybe CR's failing was just that it was too niche.

I know where you're coming from by saying to niche. I think the problem was that CR tried to do too much, and didn't quite get as far as it would have liked to in any aspect. It's 80% there as a multiplayer game, 50% there as a single player game, and 10% there as the social gaming experience that it was aiming to be. That said, I still love the fact that the project was to try to be all of those things in the first place, and I think if it had succeeded in fulfilling all of its original design ambitions then we'd all be standing around saying that CR's success is down to it being unique.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:35 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:That said, I still love the fact that the project was to try to be all of those things in the first place, and I think if it had succeeded in fulfilling all of its original design ambitions then we'd all be standing around saying that CR's success is down to it being unique.

Agreed. I have absolutely no regrets for backing this project. (Also helps that I've personally received thousands of hours of entertainment from the game and these forums.)

NoWorries
    GOD

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 am

• Snapshot need to get Chris Avellone to write the script for PP or something, that seems to be a popular thing to do for your KS campaign these days!

But I think the audience for PP would be far greater than that for Chaos Reborn. A squad-based, military X-Com like? People still fall over that stuff, as long as it has single player and multiplayer elements. Some wizards casting spells with random numbers attached is a much harder sell.

Not saying Snapshot could fund the whole ambitious project with just a KS, but these things can generate the interest required to attract the interest.
    krayzkrok

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Information