New Competition for live games - DUEL!

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn

• We are considering trying to revive the live games scene with a new competition format. The idea is to provide an easily accessible competition with a generous reward structure. The game settings will be fixed (but can be expanded later if the player base exists). The rewards are based on giving access to the forge and shop items via gold.

A big shiny button will sit under your wizard, saying "DUEL!".
    Pressing the button puts you directly into a matchmaker queue. Players are matched based on Elo rating (which remains hidden)
    and/or the players current unbroken victory record level.
    A victory will earn you forge crystals and gold. The next victory will increase the reward level until you lose, whereupon the reward level is reset. A draw will have no effect.
    Forge crystals are spent directly on activating the forge, with an increasing cost with each activation.

The game settings would be fixed. I would suggest 2 players, 90s turn time, Equipped Law mode, 20 turns, survivors draw, random maps.

An additional option may be to reward the player(s) that achieved the longest victory run in a day with something additional/special.

Obviously this won't appeal to everybody, and it doesn't address the issues with the league system and existing matchmaker. Those options will remain as they are for now, but they will be reworked soon.
    Julian Gollop
    Site Admin

• Will there be other contests for other battle types such as classic chaos? or 4 ways?

why is this set to law mode, is it to encourage people to play this mode?
    PRETENAMA
    Incarnadine

• Yes, the live scene needs more attention, and I like the above proposal.

I'm hoping that perhaps the settings will swing between Law an Chaos Mode, Equipped and Classic, to suit all tastes, but this is a good start.

Make sure you shout about it too and let everyone know, past, present and future players.

Nice one JG!
    MattyRasker

• Incarnadine wrote:Will there be other contests for other battle types such as classic chaos? or 4 ways?

why is this set to law mode, is it to encourage people to play this mode?

The problem is that the available pool of online players would be split between all these options, which somewhat defeats the purposed of reviving live games. I am proposing law mode as a starting point. Other options can be added if the concurrent online users is high enough.
    Julian Gollop
    Site Admin

• Julian Gollop wrote:The problem is that the available pool of online players would be split between all these options

Do stats show that law mode may represent a larger pool? I was under the impression that most of us play chaos.

But I admit now with this competition I will have an incentive to get into law mode
    clef

• Sorry - I hope this works, but you lost me on equipped law mode.

EDIT - And 90 seconds for that matter, I just can't play that quick :-(

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• MattyRasker wrote:I'm hoping that perhaps the settings will swing between Law an Chaos Mode, Equipped and Classic, to suit all tastes, but this is a good start.

+1 That would be a good way to do it. Each night/week could have a different competition type.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

• I'm sorry, I don't quite understand - how is this different from Quick Match apart from the extra prize?
    yovargas

• I'm hugely disappointed that Chaos mode is now being relegated to a second class mode. We can quibble about turn times and async vs live, but severing Chaos mode from core game rewards will undermine the attachment that many existing players have for the game and will reduce the possibility that that Law mode players might evolve into Chaos players.

I see no reason why Law mode and Chaos mode cannot run in tandem Duels, as the modes attract different players. Perhaps have separate tracks for rewards to incent players to play both modes. But if there is to be only one active live Duel structure going at a time, then why not alternate the modes on a daily or weekly basis? If such alternation works out, then perhaps other format considerations could be changed from time to time.

P.S., the re-match option will need to be disabled entirely from this Duel mode to reduce exploits.

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Next

Return to General Discussion

Information