Chaos Reborn v1.11 Released

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:37 pm

• Julian Gollop wrote:This release sees some bug fixes,balancing tweaks and some interface improvements.

Great work, thanks!

Julian Gollop wrote:Mega-spell base costs increased slightly. This is to compensate a little for the fact that casting chance/cost of many mega-spells have been improved.

I'll have to see how it plays out but as it affects everyone it should be fine.

Julian Gollop wrote:Law mode starting mana reduced to 20 for first player, 28 for second player.

Sounds reasonable.

Julian Gollop wrote:Alignment shift values for many spells reduced by around 25-40%. This is designed to benefit neutral spells, and make extreme balance shifts less likely.

Seem like a good way to buff Neutral without actually bugging it :)

Julian Gollop wrote:Reduced Duel AI bonus mana awarded for Duel level.

No complaints.

Julian Gollop wrote:Increased max wizard level to 9999 (in preparation for new social rank progression).

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Really looking forward to trying the beta to see what the new Social Rank system is like.

Julian Gollop wrote:Increased re-activation cost increase for megas in law mode from 20% to 25%.

Well as it affects everyone, I'm okay with that.

Thanks again for the update! Great stuff guys!
    Farious

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm

• Gooey mass - is up 15 points, even on its lowest value possible on the only two staffs it is available on, really? 15 points?

Is there a mass gooey mass problem or hate no one knows about?
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    gary
    DEMIGOD

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:45 pm

• zamug wrote:
    Julian Gollop wrote:Mega-spell base costs increased slightly. This is to compensate a little for the fact that casting chance/cost of many mega-spells have been improved.

My favorite staff with a mega bolt went from 66 to 71. Casting chance has not changed. That doesn't feel right.

By the rational that

Mega Bolt shouldn't have risen in cost at all, given that it's casting chance has remained static.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:42 pm

• Bolt is definately a messy thing to balance, I think it's the only spell that has to shoe horn it's way into the game balance. The bolt being a 100% cast (or 0 cost spell) would by the logic not go up in price, but not touching it would probably buff it considerably compared to other spells. The new change seems sensible to me, though i can definately see how it'd annoy people.

All of the stuff in here looks sound to me, imagine binded law/chaos shifts will be more valueable (or less...depending on the equipment your matched up against) Some might say that the nerfed shifting of alignment might negatively effect the rng management aspect of the game..so more rng for chaos mode might be a negative thing, though i don`t see it negatively effecting law mode (probably an improvement)

Might be one of those things that distinguishes the 2 modes down the line (bringing the alignment shift back to were it was for chaos players, leaving the newer change for law mode.)
    anjovi

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:17 pm

• ok by the looks of it all spells that were in the top of the (most used megas) charts got nerfed

my first impression is that undead chaos and megabolt staves just got into the not viable anymore range and so did a lot of staves across the board I had a look at forging but i dont think it can be fixed that easily.
    I fear this patch is somewhat over the top and the "boost neutral" argument seems weird as megabolt is the biggest neutral spell in the game and besides this; not nerfing neutral megas does not actually help them as that still has the issue of casting chance that is the real problem of neutral megas (no aligment switching).

So to resume: undead, chaos and law megaspells basically are now in the 70+ range (assuming a minimal boost/handsize)
    in my experience this makes them not viable, only in 4+ways you will see 70+ megaspells being viable.
    If anything you will see far less megaspells being used, more than one would expect going just by the numbers because i think a lot of those megas are in the 'beyond possible' range now (esp in 1v1) and players will elect to use their mana to buff their normal spells instead, much sooner than they would have done before.

In law mode it will be even worse because you can not gain mana easily with failed casts and the starting mana has been nerfed as well. Im having serious doubts about this meganerf (mega in more than 1 sense)
    Stitchy

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:02 pm

• Stitchy wrote:In law mode it will be even worse because you can not gain mana easily with failed casts and the starting mana has been nerfed as well. Im having serious doubts about this meganerf (mega in more than 1 sense)

Because you get Mana per turn you can cast disbelieve, an illusion, or nothing to build Mana. I didn't have a problem in Law Mode with the new megaspell costs, but I've only played four matches since the patch so my opinion could of course change.
    Farious

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:13 pm

• After quite long time of absence, it's RL and still enough RL, I played 3 matches 3 human players classic chaos.

Wow, so much work has been put into this.

BIG pro: Lobby systems and (global) chatting, and friend and invite... Did it help for match making? I love it.

Con: so many game modes, so much about collecting gold, stuff, other stuff, whatever stuff, talismans, gear up... I was highly confused and struggled finding out what match I want to create and where... I guess I will get used to it.
    I'm basically a classic chaos player, unequipped. Game feels a bit like it lacks focus. But people want things... To me, a super intuitive, focused and communicative (i.e. chat etc) client with only classic chaos in MP and SP, with more focus on individual SP game setup and analysis, would be the way to go. But hey, it's still very good.
    Hodor.
    Tortuosit

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:49 pm

• Might need to boost the "Receive mana for law/chaos shift" talisman now that shifting is harder.
    yovargas

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:45 pm

• Here's what happened to me today:

I hadn't played in some time.
    I began a search for an online duel by pressing the big button like I normally do.
    I got a law mode game, even though I've never requested a law mode game and hate law mode with a passion.
    I was miserable during the whole game, because law mode is as dull as it is grotesque.
    In addition to that, I got matched with a bot.
    I'm pretty sure it was a bot, even though there was no indication of whether or not this was the case.
    I now feel stupid, because of attempting polite conversation with a bot.

In short: not an ideal "welcome back" experience.
    There's not much to be done, I realize that, but I needed to vent.
    Nocturnal

Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:45 am

• Nocturnal wrote:I hadn't played in some time.

Great to have you back.

Nocturnal wrote:I began a search for an online duel by pressing the big button like I normally do.

Duel Mode is different to Quick Match. You queue for Quick Match by clicking on the Menu Cog, top left.

Nocturnal wrote:I got a law mode game, even though I've never requested a law mode game and hate law mode with a passion.

Chaos Mode for Duels is currently being worked on.

Nocturnal wrote:In addition to that, I got matched with a bot.

If new players can't get a game the player base will never grow because they won't stick around and will pan CR in the reviews. Thus it is better off UK/US peak time newbies face an AI than be unable to get any game at all. Players who only want to play humans can use Quick Match & Custom MP.

Nocturnal wrote:In short: not an ideal "welcome back" experience.

Chaos Mode is coming to Duels and you can use Quick Match & MP to avoid playing Law Mode & the AI. It's not 100% there for you atm I sense but hopefully with what is coming you'll be able to play more the way you want soon.
    Farious

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Information