New Player LP

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
SlipperyJim

New Player LP

Post by SlipperyJim » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:55 am

I'm going to pimp this because I find it so interesting to see how a totally new player engages with Chaos Reborn.

Céline S. Sauvé on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BiL1O ... _IyhEIqMUP

Regards,

Jim
The Battlemage!

gary is my master now...

Current Unicoin Total: 54.2

Twitter / Steam: SlipperyJim72

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: New Player LP

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Watched the 1st two vids, interesting to see. Goos find Jim.

Somethings that would have helped her (and other new players)

Force a start in the tutorial
Make the game guide more prominent
List all creature properties on 1 page of the game guide
Show move potential in a different colour to green (I konw its dahed, but she's not the first person to miss that)
Give a warning when only casting 1 of 3 the first time it happens.
THE UNDEAD CANNOT BE ATTACKED. Display the message when a new player tries, or show the % as 0 or Invalid or something.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

yovargas

Post by yovargas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 pm

That was both funny and painful to watch. :P Basically this game shouldn't be played without going through the tutorial. I remember how much confusion I had early on and I did play the tutorial first!

(One tutorial suggestion: Have one that covers all of the spells and the creature special abilities.)

I actually got a friend of mine to buy the game after hearing me talk about it so much and we've been played together occasionally. One thing I have noticed is that he keeps forgetting that Undead can't be attacked by living creatures. I think Spite's "show the % as 0 or Invalid or something" would be a good idea, but it'd be even better if that was accompanied with a little undead symbol (like a skull or something) to make why a little bit more obvious.

Farious

Post by Farious » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:30 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:Force a start in the tutorial
In most games these days the first battle or so are often hand held tutorials, sometimes fully feature but usually with everything pre-programmed. I think XCom does it right - the tutorial can be skipped but if you don't it still feels part of the game. Not sure how easy it is to implement in Chaos Reborn because of all the game modes perhaps a popup at prompt the first time you play the game highlighting the tutorial is the better approach?
SpiteAndMalice wrote:Make the game guide more prominent
+1 & make it into a proper Chaospedia like they have in the Civilisation series.
SpiteAndMalice wrote:List all creature properties on 1 page of the game guide
You mean like a giant table? Sounds good though perhaps not the first page.
SpiteAndMalice wrote:Show move potential in a different colour to green (I konw its dahed, but she's not the first person to miss that)
I think green is good. Perhaps the top line of the battle log could list what the player is doing as then do it? Click on a wizard it say Move Wizard (Click Green), or if some thing is in range, Move Wizard (Click Green) or Range Attack (Click Red)
SpiteAndMalice wrote:Give a warning when only casting 1 of 3 the first time it happens.
I still do this by accident lol
SpiteAndMalice wrote:THE UNDEAD CANNOT BE ATTACKED. Display the message when a new player tries, or show the % as 0 or Invalid or something.
Yeah, I've seen new players have this problem too. I suggested a rising UNDEAD CANNOT BE ATTACKED message similar to the Engaged to Enemy One (though the Undead message should be able to be turned off by experienced players). (OT: Julian should include the original spectrum sounds effects in a folder as an easteregg & allow us olde skool players a secret option to turn them on in game :) )

yovargas

Post by yovargas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:34 pm

Farious wrote:
SpiteAndMalice wrote:Give a warning when only casting 1 of 3 the first time it happens.
I still do this by accident lol
Ditto! When you cast your 75 mana Vampire mega but forget to click the second space: Image

yovargas

Post by yovargas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Another thing that confused her and also took me a while to figure out - the icon for selecting your wizard while mounted needs to be way, way more obvious. It's very easy to miss that grey button and even if you see it, it's not clear why you would click on it.

Post by 9214 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 pm

yovargas wrote:Another thing that confused her and also took me a while to figure out - the icon for selecting your wizard while mounted needs to be way, way more obvious. It's very easy to miss that grey button and even if you see it, it's not clear why you would click on it.
+1, most of newcomers which I mentored a bit didn't even know about how to attack with mounted wizard or to unmount.

Farious

Post by Farious » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:58 am

Another newbie having a go (who says he'll make more CR videos if he gets 5 likes so... #hint :) )
https://youtu.be/q4nLtMpvaWg
Anyway, he managed to work most things out but the main thing that flummoxed him was that some of the Spell tool tips still refer exclusively to Chaos Mode (such as mentioning casting chance) and he also managed to wall himself in & didn't know how to Dispell his creations.
9214 wrote:
yovargas wrote:Another thing that confused her and also took me a while to figure out - the icon for selecting your wizard while mounted needs to be way, way more obvious. It's very easy to miss that grey button and even if you see it, it's not clear why you would click on it.
+1, most of newcomers which I mentored a bit didn't even know about how to attack with mounted wizard or to unmount.
I think the problem is that the icon is the image of the mount and not the wizard. If it was the image of a wizard you might be able to get away with a tool tip that explains it all?

krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:27 pm

I still sometimes lose the mounted icon amongst the chaos. It would be better if it glowed subtly, or had some non-intrusive sparkles just enough to draw the eye if looking for it.

Post by 9214 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 pm

krayzkrok wrote:I still sometimes lose the mounted icon amongst the chaos. It would be better if it glowed subtly, or had some non-intrusive sparkles just enough to draw the eye if looking for it.
Pulsate with glow.