new to game

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

• Hi,
    Really, Really pleased to find this game, really annoyed I didn't spot Julian's hand in this remake of Chaos earlier

I've loved this genre of wizard's dueling ever since MAR Barkers War of Wizards in the mid-1970s - especially as it introduced illusions and walls. Toyed for many years to make my own version, but this is just perfect.

Regards

Tony
    manowargoblin

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:10 pm

• Welcome and hope you enjoy! I bought the game about 2 months ago and have become obsessed with it. So good! :D
    yovargas

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:48 pm

• Welcome to the forum - Tell us more about this War of Wizards :-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:06 pm

• Welcome to the forums! :)
    » Happiness for everybody, free, and no one will go away unsatisfied! «
    Malgardian

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:49 am

• Welcome! Feel free to send me a Friend invite. Have fun!
    Farious

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:13 pm

• Thanks everyone, trying to get some free time to up my play - so hope to play online soon!

War of Wizards by MAR Barker was a simple counter + rulebook system that pitted two wizards against each other.
    Published in 1975 this was the era of early board games and D&D.
    The board is a simple ladder with wizards or priests at either end.The wizards cast attack & defense spells like insects, flying creatures, undead. Those that are creatures move slowly up the board to the opposing wizard, but you can dispel them or cast your own creatures/defenses to stop them - for example walls which can block non-fliers. Spells that meet fight it out, the survivor rolls onwards to eventually attack the enemy wizard.

Wizards can also move, or create enchanted weapons. Some spells (e.g warriors) can be reinforced (e.g. enchantment or duplicate spell).
    Many spells are invisible (madness, cold, shields etc) and fun in the game came about because you had to try and block the spell to determine an effective counter -spell.

It was a fun game, took about 30m to play. I was lucky (or old) enough to play this in the mid-70s. I currently have a 1999 reprint.

Chaos and now Chaos Reborn has many of the elements of WoW and I'm sure Julian was aware of it in his design of Chaos, but took this game to a whole new level.

Anyone familiar with WOW and the Empire of the Petal Throne universe?
    manowargoblin

Return to General Discussion

Information