Reworking the interface.

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

• Liking were Farious' concept is going. I've used it as a base to attempt a leagued play screen (with a few additional changes to other buttons)

wanted to point out that social ranks could simply be a place for all rank/player information, that opens up in a pop up menu.
    Also that Visit forums, and Community could just be labelled 'community' and you could have a simple pop up inbetween: Visit forums OR Visit chat browser/tournament website.

222.png
    anjovi

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:51 pm

• Can you make it configurable so everyone can tweak those menus to their preferences? Just pile of drag'n'drop elements (buttons, checkboxes, windows, etc) on a grid layout.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm

• Julian Gollop wrote:Plus you will get social rank promotion at levels 25, 50, 100 and 200, which is also something to aim for. Wizard lord and Wizard king levels give new functions, such as being a lord in a realm or being able to make realms. This will be fully explained by the highly useful 'social ranks' button.

On Social Ranks I genuinely feel that there should be more tiers so that players constantly sense their is something close at hand to strive for. E.g. instead of Apprentice, Wizard Lord, Wizard King, Demigod & God we have something Like: Serf, Baron, Lord, Duke, King, Emperor.... Also, if you can boost Social Rank with Realm Points I think the progression based on Wizard Level may need tweaking depending upon how it is done. However, off the top of my head, and assuming Realm Points can be spent to boost separately (i.e they do not boost the Wizard's Level), I would go for something along these lines:

Wizard Level 0 = None,
    Wizard Level 5 = Squire,
    Wizard Level 15 = Baron,
    Wizard Level 25 = Lord,
    Wizard Level 35 = Duke,
    Wizard Level 50 = King,
    Wizard Level 75 = Divine Emperor,
    Wizard Level 100 = Immortal Overlord,
    Wizard Level 150 = Demigod,
    Wizard Level 200 = God

I dropped 'Wizard' from the titles purely because I personally don't like the sound of it, but that's just my personal opinion & it really isn't an issue (plus it created space for Immortal Overlord :) ).

Farious
    Farious

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:43 pm

• Wizard Level 0 = None,
    Wizard Level 5 = Squire,
    Wizard Level 15 = Baron,
    Wizard Level 25 = Lord,
    Wizard Level 35 = Duke,
    Wizard Level 50 = King,
    Wizard Level 200 = God

What does any of that mean??
    yovargas

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 am

• yovargas wrote:
    Wizard Level 0 = None,
    Wizard Level 5 = Squire,
    Wizard Level 15 = Baron,
    Wizard Level 25 = Lord,
    Wizard Level 35 = Duke,
    Wizard Level 50 = King,
    Wizard Level 200 = God

What does any of that mean??

It's your Wizard's Rank and mostly cosmetic. However, at Lord you can submit your build for Duty so it appears as an AI Wizard in Duel Mode & Realms. At King you get access to the Realm Editor.
    Farious

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 pm

• yovargas wrote:What does any of that mean??

it means that when the gods are talking peons shut up and listen in awe
    Stitchy

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 pm

• Julian Gollop wrote:You will get a reward of 100 gold and 1 forge crystal for each level up, with appropriate reward screen displayed, so it is something to aim for. Plus you will get social rank promotion at levels 25, 50, 100 and 200, which is also something to aim for. Wizard lord and Wizard king levels give new functions, such as being a lord in a realm or being able to make realms. This will be fully explained by the highly useful 'social ranks' button. The symbol is the social rank (it is labelled underneath) and the bar represents progress to next social rank. There may be a better way to present the info, but if you don't care about it I guess you could ignore it. The level progress could be represented visually rather than with text, but it doesn't make it easier to understand. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the helpful explanation!
    I'm now much better equipped to incorporate those features in my suggestions.

I've got to say this, though:

I'm a Kickstarter backer, I've got somewhere between 50-100 hours of playtime, I think, and to this day I keep evangelizing the game every chance I get. Back during he Kickstarter campaign days I went through all kinds of articles and interviews, learning as much as I could about your vision for this persistent universe of player created content with an ever-shifting hierarchy in which you can not only play, but also be represented by an NPC in other players' games. And I got excited, naturally!

But then, time passed. The game got better and better, more and more complex. Through all that time, I was never in a position to engage with those systems beyond just playing some realms as a normal wizard and currently, I can no longer say that I care that much about them. The issue isn't that I dislike them, that I think they don't belong in the game or that I found it hard to get the information I was missing above (I'm actually a bit ashamed that you had to give it to me). The issue is that I can barely find enough time and attention to dedicate to the rest of the game, even though I still find it to be rock solid and an amazing generator of surprising and fun times.

And yeah, I realize that your current goal is to push that stuff forward, so everyone can engage with it more easily. However, keep in mind that none of those systems are really essential. They're not essential for a seasoned player like me, which means they're probably going to be even less so for a new player. And you can't really expect new players to sit through a tutorial covering every feature in the game, just so they can get a feel for which things can be safely ignored. Nor can you expect them to ignore things they don't understand. When a new player sees all those buttons, they will just do an expression saying "Ugh! I have to learn so much stuff just to be able to operate this game's menus!" and they will leave. Which is something I don't want to happen.

So. My general point is that we need to make sure the core of the game is as easily and pleasantly accessible as the core game of Hearthstone, for example, and only then think about those systems.

The more specific suggestions will come during the weekend.
    Nocturnal

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:33 pm

• It took quite a while, but here we go:

closed_matchmaker.png

So, what do we have here, except a lot of ugly placeholders?

* Two main buttons: FIND GAME and GO ON A REALM QUEST. Their function is pretty self-explanatory. The CUSTOM GAME button allows you to join a specific game or create a new one.
    * No EQUIP button: you just click on your wizard and the game takes you to the appropriate screen where you can change your equipment, wizard name, gender and so on.
    * No REWARD panels showing you what you're going to earn the next game: I'm not sure it's necessary to show those beforehand, I think the reward screen after the match should be enough, but if necessary they can be squished to match the matchmaking widget's height and placed to the left of it.
    * The LORD DUTY and ABANDON buttons are shown just as an example. Ideally, at the beginning only the GO ON A REALM QUEST button will be visible. Then, when the player begins playing through a realm, the ABANDON button will appear. When the player reaches the appropriate social rank, the LORD DUTY button will appear and so on.
    * I added a REVIEW MATCHES button, which would switch to a different screen showing active ASYNCHRONOUS GAMES, as well as RANKINGS and STATISTICS info, maybe even allowing you to SPECTATE and watch replays of past games.
    * No TUTORIAL button, as I think it should be accessible right from the main menu, from a different button than the one taking you to this screen.
    * I think the chat and friends windows could become two tabs of the same window, but I didn't illustrate it, as it's one of the less important suggestions.
    * Some other missing stuff: I still haven't decided about the SOCIAL RANKS button, but for now I think that information belongs in the game guide. I'm also not sure about the COMMUNITY button - we can maybe place it below the link to the forum? There are no League ranking badges or however they're called, but they can maybe be placed in an arc above and slightly behind the wizard avatar? I haven't placed the resources anywhere, too, because they're small and easy to fit at many places.

Now, for the most important part - what happens when you click the FIND GAME button?
    The stuff below the widget disappears and the widget itself becomes bigger until it looks like this:

open_matchmaker.png

* Rocket League players will find it familiar and that's no coincidence. I find their approach to be a perfect fit for Chaos Reborn, as both games have lots of different ways to play and need players to be able to chose any combination of them. However, their widget has some advantages:
    (1) It's structured like a list, which helps players decide whether or not they want each option and then move on to the next one, making it less scary to be faced with so many toggles;
    (2) It's in the corner of the screen, always accessible, yet not getting in the way of the player doing other things;
    (3) It shows you the number of players who have chosen similar settings to you and thus lets you decide whether to wait for the perfect game or to broaden your search parameters to get a game faster.

* You may note I got rid of the LIVE / ASYNC radio buttons. This is because:
    (1) I think requests for live games would be much more frequent than requests for async ones;
    (2) I think a sizable portion of players won't be willing to play async games at all;
    (3) I think the experience of playing async games is fundamentally different from the experience of playing live games. Therefore, I propose a separate hub for async games to be created, where players could find all their active async games, request new ones and maybe even access replays of previous games (I think what I'm describing here can already be found in Frozen Synapse, check it out).

* You may note I got rid of LAW MODE. This is because:
    (1) I dislike it on principle;
    (2) It splits the player base in terms in terms of the experience they're looking for - I don't expect a huge overlap of Chaos mode players requesting to play Law mode and vice versa, basically;
    (3) It splits the player base in terms of rules they're familiar with - even if a Law player decides to try Chaos mode, they would be bad at it, because it's so different, and they would bounce off.
    If it absolutely has to stay, I'd propose toggling between the two modes to be done via the game's options, instead of adding it as a toggle in the matchmaker.

* You may note that I've used the word DUELS simply as a reference to one-on-one fights and not the new game mode. This is because:
    (1) I'd like there to be less modes dividing up the community;
    (2) I'd like to encourage players to try bigger games more often, instead of being limited to one-on-one fights (see below);
    (3) I see no reason the reward structure of the new mode should be limited to one-on-one fights and not apply to every kind of game.

* You may note I got rid of the checkboxes for THREE PLAYERS and FOUR PLAYERS and replaced them with the BIGGEST POSSIBLE SIZE button. This is because:
    (1) I think the difference in terms of player experience between 3 and 4 player games is much smaller than the difference between 2 player games and anything else - I don't expect that many occasions where that many people would be okay with a three player game, but not with a four player game, or the opposite;
    (2) I don't want more checkboxes to be necessary in the future for five, six or more players;
    (3) In my experience, the bigger the player count, the harder it is to create/find a game with it, so combining them and prioritizing the biggest ones makes sense both in terms of making those bigger games more viable and in terms of giving clear options to players. This way, DUELS gives you one on one games, DUELS and BIGGEST POSSIBLE gives you all the games and BIGGEST POSSIBLE alone gives you games with more than 2 players.

* Finally, take a look at the Alliances options. These are meant to include Realms Ally/Invader fights, as per another user's request. Apologies, I forget who proposed this (maybe Rafi, I think?), but they had the right idea - it's the same experience, so why divide it into two different modes?

I think the above leads to a cleaner structure that makes it easier for players to orient themselves and quickly get to the most important functions of the game, but it is definitely a work in progress and can be improved on quite a bit.
    Nocturnal

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:15 pm

• I don't necessarily agree with every point of that post but overall, I think it is excellent. :)
    yovargas

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Information