I can appreciate where people are coming from, I know I've certainly had my moments of frustration.
I thing the big things for me were:
- The offical in game lore. It frankly leaves me cold. I backed the game in part with the anticipation that the in game lore would be player driven. I really loved the idea of having gods and demigods within the player base who would drive that lore. As it stands I understand that they're barely been consulted. I feel that's poor treatment of them given the amount of backing that they gave to the game.
- The change to the social ranking system, imho a sledgehammer has been used to crack a wallnut and we've ended up with a non social system that I just don't care about.
- The choice to add in law mode. I know this made sense as a business decision, but it felt like the views of non players of the game were more important than the views of the loyal playerbase.
- The 'balance' updates. Which always feel like they put equipped/law mode before classic chaos. I reached a point of almost dreading each update rather than looking forward to it.
- The official in game league, which has too many barriers for entry (I'd time out of 2 day asynch games, and 2 min turns is too quick for me) and when an alternative came in the form of duel mode it was even worse.
- Infinite dispel, dispel in general. There's a point where it's just too much hand holding. You wouldn't dispel a pawn that you'd moved to the wrong square.
- Undead slayer and the general enfeebling of the undead.
- The mystery behind why 30 years ago I could enter an opponent's magic woods, but now I can't.
- Blue elves with pink hair.
The features I wish for which aren't (yet) present, but that I hold out hope for:
- 8 player mode.
- The other creatures from the original game.
- The possibility to play classic chaos in realms.
- More choice in official competions; daily challenges, a proper league and cup competitions, something which caters to 6 player mode.
- Larger duel maps. I.e. The original ones.
- More 5 and 6 player maps.
- More choices for custom games i.e turn mana off, turn spells on or off, more victory conditions, turn off dispel.
- The return of the gollop wollop
But, and this is a big but. I think they thing to bare in mind with all this is that we're playing a game which is the first game that's been developed by a small inde developer. There certainly have been mistakes made, and I'm sure there still will be. I think player feedback is important to that extent and there's been a good number of fixes made as a result of those fixes.
I do sometime think the developers could listen a bit more, or rather show that they're listening. In game chat being a case in point, or more asynch slots or RANDOM STARTING ORDER
for matches, but there's a lot to love about the game.
- The game is polished and the core game play is tight.
- The community is great, snapshot could certainly make more of thing of this.
- I love the colourful classic wizards now.
- Classic Chaos, with all the additions that I just don't buy, this mode keeps me sane.
Online multiplayer - Damn just being able to play chaos against cool people is reason enough to be happy with this game.
- Asynch, so I can dip in and out of games.
- The sound and graphics, my complements to the chef
- The AI does a decent job.
- Terrain heights, one new feature that really adds to the game.
- Dwarves and AEs, 2 new creatures that add to the game.
- Team matches, what a wonderful way to play chaos.
- The illusion mechanic.
- the alignment shifting.
- The RNG
- Gooey blob.