Why I don't care any more

Discussion about all things related to Chaos Reborn
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 am

• I'll still come back to Chaos Reborn now and again. I love the core gameplay, the presentation (graphics, sound, law / chaos shift ambience), the community is good (met some nice people, you guys know who you are! :P), realms ally / invade feature, the lobby system, global chat and invites, just to list some great stuff about the game.

The not so good stuff, Offline Realms, removal of Classic Robes and Staffs, Crystal Wall spell, Chests, but above all, for me at least - the ranked system. Tournament and Competitive stuff should have got way more love than it did, inside and outside of the game.

I look forward to future updates, and hope we will come back now and again to play, especially for Spite Night!
    MattyRasker

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:48 pm

• I can appreciate where people are coming from, I know I've certainly had my moments of frustration.

I thing the big things for me were:
    - The offical in game lore. It frankly leaves me cold. I backed the game in part with the anticipation that the in game lore would be player driven. I really loved the idea of having gods and demigods within the player base who would drive that lore. As it stands I understand that they're barely been consulted. I feel that's poor treatment of them given the amount of backing that they gave to the game.
    - The change to the social ranking system, imho a sledgehammer has been used to crack a wallnut and we've ended up with a non social system that I just don't care about.
    - The choice to add in law mode. I know this made sense as a business decision, but it felt like the views of non players of the game were more important than the views of the loyal playerbase.
    - The 'balance' updates. Which always feel like they put equipped/law mode before classic chaos. I reached a point of almost dreading each update rather than looking forward to it.
    - The official in game league, which has too many barriers for entry (I'd time out of 2 day asynch games, and 2 min turns is too quick for me) and when an alternative came in the form of duel mode it was even worse.
    - Infinite dispel, dispel in general. There's a point where it's just too much hand holding. You wouldn't dispel a pawn that you'd moved to the wrong square.
    - Undead slayer and the general enfeebling of the undead.
    - The mystery behind why 30 years ago I could enter an opponent's magic woods, but now I can't.
    - Blue elves with pink hair.

The features I wish for which aren't (yet) present, but that I hold out hope for:
    - 8 player mode.
    - The other creatures from the original game.
    - The possibility to play classic chaos in realms.
    - More choice in official competions; daily challenges, a proper league and cup competitions, something which caters to 6 player mode.
    - Larger duel maps. I.e. The original ones.
    - More 5 and 6 player maps.
    - More choices for custom games i.e turn mana off, turn spells on or off, more victory conditions, turn off dispel.
    - The return of the gollop wollop

But, and this is a big but. I think they thing to bare in mind with all this is that we're playing a game which is the first game that's been developed by a small inde developer. There certainly have been mistakes made, and I'm sure there still will be. I think player feedback is important to that extent and there's been a good number of fixes made as a result of those fixes.

I do sometime think the developers could listen a bit more, or rather show that they're listening. In game chat being a case in point, or more asynch slots or RANDOM STARTING ORDER ;-) for matches, but there's a lot to love about the game.

- The game is polished and the core game play is tight.
    - The community is great, snapshot could certainly make more of thing of this.
    - I love the colourful classic wizards now.
    - Classic Chaos, with all the additions that I just don't buy, this mode keeps me sane.
    Online multiplayer - Damn just being able to play chaos against cool people is reason enough to be happy with this game.
    - Asynch, so I can dip in and out of games.
    - The sound and graphics, my complements to the chef
    - The AI does a decent job.
    - Terrain heights, one new feature that really adds to the game.
    - Dwarves and AEs, 2 new creatures that add to the game.
    - Team matches, what a wonderful way to play chaos.
    - The illusion mechanic.
    - the alignment shifting.
    - The RNG
    - Gooey blob.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We'd love to embrace you!

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:51 pm

• Probably a bit more than I original intended to say there :-)

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:23 pm

• Some good points, Spite. I don't think the undead are too weak - almost the opposite! Surely undead slayers just brought some balance to gameplay? I also think that dispel is about right. One of the last updates made it x amount of mana to dispel and nowadays you see players stuck in ice and opponents unable to dispel anything because of a lack of mana..

Bigger maps, more creatures, and 8 player games would all be great.
    Yogicfire

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm

• Cheers Yogicfire. I think for me it's not a case of no longer caring so much as that if anything I care too much. CR is a 9 of 10 game for me, I can't think of anything else that's given me so much game play for my money (And I was a Football Manager addict before this).

The frustration that comes stems from the fact of knowing that the game is so close to being 10 out of 10 that those missing features are almost painful.

Dispel to me is like taking a mulligan in golf. A good idea to enable people to learn the game. It shouldn't be in the main game itself however. But that's a matter of opinion, it's one of those things that should and could easily be a custom match setting.

SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:08 pm

• Gotta agree about the lore. Quite frankly, I find it dull as dishwater. Allen Stroud has put a lot of effort in, but the result is just Assassin's Creed levels of generic and extraneous in my opinion. Too much focus on dry worldbuilding, too little on the fun. One of the reasons why your average pulp fantasy universe between Warhammer and Magic the Gathering is so entertaining is because even at its most pretentious it doesn't take itself in any way seriously. And at its core Chaos Reborn doesn't take itself seriously, either. In fact, it's at times downright Zork-esque in its absurdity. That sort of surrealness has sadly been missing in the lore.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:15 pm

• SpiteAndMalice wrote:Cheers Yogicfire. I think for me it's not a case of no longer caring so much as that if anything I care too much. CR is a 9 of 10 game for me, I can't think of anything else that's given me so much game play for my money (And I was a Football Manager addict before this).

The frustration that comes stems from the fact of knowing that the game is so close to being 10 out of 10 that those missing features are almost painful.

Dispel to me is like taking a mulligan in golf. A good idea to enable people to learn the game. It shouldn't be in the main game itself however. But that's a matter of opinion, it's one of those things that should and could easily be a custom match setting.

Funny that you should mention Football Manager.. I am playing FM 2017 right now as Dortmund and having a great time! Aubemeyang is fantastic..! He is scoring a lot of goals. I mention FM 2017 because it is a classic example of a game near perfection but lacking in a few areas. You only have to go on the forums to see what people are talking about - injuries, stupid press conferences, no way to defend and stop goals when you want to.. These criticisms have been going for for ages but people still play the game. No game is ever perfect!
    Yogicfire

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 pm

• TΛPETRVE wrote:Gotta agree about the lore. Quite frankly, I find it dull as dishwater. Allen Stroud has put a lot of effort in, but the result is just Assassin's Creed levels of generic and extraneous in my opinion. Too much focus on dry worldbuilding, too little on the fun.

Keep in mind that Allen Stroud's world-building lore is intended to be a foundation that players can take in whatever direction they pretty much want. If people want serious, they have something with which to work. If they want zanny, it's a foundation for that, too. In this regard, it's quite good. That the social RPG aspects of the game envisioned when he was putting it all together never matured does not diminish his accomplishment.

NoWorries
    GOD

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:31 pm

• Fair enough.
    But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.
    TΛPETRVE

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:22 pm

• <Waking from sleep to check out what's going on with Chaos>
    Yay, there is *another* mode now? Like there weren't too many already...
    <Sadly going back to sleep>
    torp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Information